gapless as the 68 built + replay gain

bob akane

I was wondering, why use Replay gain when you can use MP3gain and have it work on any MP3 player? I've been using it for years, and the way it modifies the header means it will work in any software but can be completely undone (erased) by the same app without harming the file. I use it to level out most of my tracks, save for classical music where I level the entire album at once.

Thanks for the request.

There was no gapless in build 68, and on my test devices I have the same minimal pause between tracks (PowerAMP first always tries to start the playing first, then it updates UI/album art/etc.).

Though, on some devices/specific firmwares there can be some difference - due to the new features added.

For me, replaygain is still the better way to level your mp3's. I have applied replaygain to all my mp3's and it's working perfect. With replaygain you're able to set the volume level for the single track and for the whole album.

With the right replaygain support in power-amp it would be possible to activate the replaygain-level for the album in normal playmode and the single-track-level in shuffle mode.

The only thing that has to be implemented is the general replaygain support and an option in the configuation menu to decide which replaygain level has to be applied.

The options in the menu should be like this:

Replaygaintype:

- Albumgain (Maintain a constant volume level between albums, but keep any intentional volume variations between songs in an album. (If album gain value is not available, uses track gain information))

- Trackgain (Maintain a constant volume level between tracks. If track gain value is not available, no replaygain is applied.)

- Trackgain if shuffling (Maintains a constant volume between tracks if Shuffle is set to Yes. Reverts to album mode if Shuffle is set to No.)

- Off (Do not process replaygain information, i.e. turn off the replaygain function.)

The implementation of replaygain would be perfect!!!!

For me, replaygain is still the better way to level your mp3's. I have applied replaygain to all my mp3's and it's working perfect. With replaygain you're able to set the volume level for the single track and for the whole album.

With the right replaygain support in power-amp it would be possible to activate the replaygain-level for the album in normal playmode and the single-track-level in shuffle mode.

The only thing that has to be implemented is the general replaygain support and an option in the configuation menu to decide which replaygain level has to be applied.

Replaygaintype:

- Albumgain (Maintain a constant volume level between albums, but keep any intentional volume variations between songs in an album. (If album gain value is not available, uses track gain information))

- Trackgain (Maintain a constant volume level between tracks. If track gain value is not available, no replaygain is applied.)

- Trackgain if shuffling (Maintains a constant volume between tracks if Shuffle is set to Yes. Reverts to album mode if Shuffle is set to No.)

- Off (Do not process replaygain information, i.e. turn off the replaygain function.)

How many apps support this methodology? I guess that since I don't see it in any car players and the vast majority of portable software/hardware players, using MP3gain just worked for me. It is interesting though, and I'd like to see how it's implemented in another app to try it out.

Replaygaintype:

How many apps support this methodology? I guess that since I don't see it in any car players and the vast majority of portable software/hardware players, using MP3gain just worked for me. It is interesting though, and I'd like to see how it's implemented in another app to try it out.

I'm using replaygain on my ipod 5.5 with opensource rockbox firmware (rockbox.org) an on pc with foobar2000 and it works like a charm. I don't know if replaygain is supported on other portable devices.

Replay gain is pretty easy to implement. Should be available as option in next major release. Though, if some song has no such tag (because it's just not written into it or if it's not supported by format), there will be volume jump, and this concerns me.

I'd also love replay gain to be implemented.

For this, I have a suggestion: on my Squeezebox music system I get the option to use what they call 'Smart gain'. When this is set the player uses teh track gain tag when playing from playlists and teh album tag when playing from an album. This way the user doesn;t need to switch between album gain and track gain modes each time they want to play a mix of tracks vs a whole album.

Though, if some song has no such tag (because it's just not written into it or if it's not supported by format), there will be volume jump, and this concerns me.

I don't see the problem here - if a user doesn't apply the tags to a certain song then it means they don't want to (and you can't) apply any replay gain. This just seems like expected behaviour - of course there would be a sudden volume jump.

+1 for ReplayGain support, the volume jump could be avoided by having a "fall-back gain" setting which would be applied for songs without a ReplayGain tags.

A "pre-amp gain" setting would also be nice to change the overall volume level before ReplayGain is applied.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I was wondering, why use Replay gain when you can use MP3gain and have it work on any MP3 player? I've been using it for years, and the way it modifies the header means it will work in any software but can be completely undone (erased) by the same app without harming the file. I use it to level out most of my tracks, save for classical music where I level the entire album at once.

One reason is MP3gain works only on mp3, not flac or other formats. Also, MP3gain doesn't only modify the header, it changes the audio data as well, but in such a way that it can be modified upward or downward or removed to restore the original data. Using replay gain, the audio data, regardless of format, is untouched.

Though, if some song has no such tag (because it's just not written into it or if it's not supported by format), there will be volume jump, and this concerns me.

The volume jump can be avoided in most cases, with separate configurable preamp levels for songs with and without replay gain tags.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived