Ratings and Cover Art gone after new phone :(

Sm1th

Hello, I just got a new phone and after getting it all set up and all the data transferred over, I launched Poweramp and found that my ratings and cover art are no more. My music folder is on an SD card, and I used Titanium Backup to backup Poweramp and its data.

Here is where I think the problem is: the path to the SD card on my old phone differs from that of my new phone. /mnt/sdcard vs. /mnt/extSdCard. So after the first launch, Poweramp can't find the music folder and I then have to tap select folders and check the music folder. After this my music files are located and ratings and cover artwork are gone.

What can I do to remedy this problem? I have rated my tracks and customized cover art for at least one year, I don't want to do this all over again. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You know I really thought that all the customizations done to your music would stay within the music folder. That would truly make sense. But if it doesn't reside within the music folder, Poweramp should be smart enough to let you point it to the new location of the music folder (it does this), and NOT discard modifications upon relocation of the music folder.

Sorry but there's no really good way to sync or transfer your music ratings between two devices. Transferring data between two phones for Poweramp isn't really recommended because you might get many more bugs pop up that wouldn't have been there with a clean install since Poweramp settings are based on your phone in a way.

Of course the real answer here is to provide an option to store the ratings info (and album art come to that) inside tags within the MP3 files themselves (I'd suggest an overwrite prompt for cover images though). That way it's there forever, and you can even copy the music back to other devices with the data intact.

Andre

Of course the real answer here is to provide an option to store the ratings info (and album art come to that) inside tags within the MP3 files themselves (I'd suggest an overwrite prompt for cover images though). That way it's there forever, and you can even copy the music back to other devices with the data intact.

Yes, AndreWilley, I totally agree with what you said. Ratings and artwork should remain inside the tags. Aren't mp3 tags set up for that anyway?

So after looking the folder structure over, I noticed that the internal SD card of my new phone is in fact using same path (/mnt/sdcard) that my old phone used for the external SD card. So I moved my music folder to the internal, restored the Poweramp data with TitaniumBackup, and everything was as if I had never switched phones. My ratings came back, equalizer settings, cover art, and everything. I'll use it like this in the meantime, and hopefully these issues will be addressed in future updates.

I'm not sure what having 4.6 GB of music will do to the filesize of nandroid backups with RomManager, but I'm willing to put up with that over redoing all my ratings and cover art.

Archived