Direct Volume Control is non-linear and RG "Apply Gain/prevent clipping according to peak" makes volume too soft

quirK

Hi, please excuse me for the long-winded title.

I'm using a Galaxy S2 International set (GT-I9100) with default ICS ROM and SiyahKernel 4.1.2, rooted using CF-Root.

Audio works both with and without DVC, but I observed that the volume change steps are more linear and predictable without DVC, whereas with DVC the volume change is more like an accelerating curve (volume increases sharply in the last few steps). As a consequence, without DVC my usual listening volume is at the halfway mark, while with DVC it is at the 3/4 mark. Is this normal behaviour for most people's phones?

Another issue is that the RG function "prevent clipping according to peak" causes audio to be too soft, in fact nearly inaudible, when DVC is on even though the RG preamp is set at +6.0 dB (like what I do on Foobar2000). This does not occur when DVC is off and the music is nice and normally loud.

So what I eventually do is keep DVC on, Apply RG Gain but without the RG clipping prevention. Everything is fine except that the volume steps are large and my music is either a bit soft or a bit loud. :(

Would like to find out if anybody here has similar experiences, and whether this is a Poweramp bug or hardware-dependent quirk. Cheers to everybody, Poweramp is to Android what Foobar2000 is to Windows!

Archived