I use my phone without Data or wi-fi most of time (activated when needed).

Every now and then , power amp pops up a message saying it can"t validate licence... Forcing me to switch data on, and start the unlocker.

It's seriously hitting my nerve. I'm also wondering what will i do if i'm in a place without a data connexion. It's a rare occurrence, but it DO happen...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm also wondering what will i do if i'm in a place without a data connexion. It's a rare occurrence, but it DO happen...

Such as on a plane during an 18-hour flight for example - not really when you want your purchased music player to decide it wants to phone home! Or when using a wifi-only tablet and you're nowhere near a wi-fi hotspot. Once installed/activated, it should really never enforce a re-check.

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

That's a good point, I have never personally experienced the validation check, but I guess that's because I am rarely ever without internet... hmmm!

And what are you planing to do about? I flying a lot, most of the time I'm in roaming. Sometimes I have WLAN in hotel, sometimes not. I'm not going to turn on data in roaming just to validate Poweramp licence and probably pay for it even more than for app itself.

You should trust to your customer who paid for your application.

And what are you planing to do about? I flying a lot, most of the time I'm in roaming. Sometimes I have WLAN in hotel, sometimes not. I'm not going to turn on data in roaming just to validate Poweramp licence and probably pay for it even more than for app itself.

You should trust to your customer who paid for your application.

It's not the user that's our problem, it's the hackers that have websites like, mobilism, and take everything we do to make the customer's life easier and make us regret it. Nevertheless, we have to figure something out!

It's not the user that's our problem, it's the hackers that have websites like, mobilism, and take everything we do to make the customer's life easier and make us regret it. Nevertheless, we have to figure something out!

Sorry but you are wrong same as for example Blizzard with Diablo or any other anti piracy protection. Your protection makes problems for normal user who paid for your application. Others will always find the way how to crack and actually use application as it should without online check every few days or weeks.

Only way how you can fight against piracy is price, quality and support. All of these you already have and I'm willing to pay 5$ for app. But now, with this ridiculous protection, you are the one who push me to use pirate version!

Solution is simple, trust your users :)

DRM never stoped piracy. They just annoy the paid customer.

One day, Handcent desided to to autorize my acount, saying it was authorized on an other device. Contacted support, they fixed it. But by that time, i went looking for other app to do what i wanted and ditched handcent..

Same here, i went looking for an other mp3 player...

Solution is simple, trust your users :)

DRM never stoped piracy. They just annoy the paid customer.

One day, Handcent desided to to autorize my acount, saying it was authorized on an other device. Contacted support, they fixed it. But by that time, i went looking for other app to do what i wanted and ditched handcent..

Same here, i went looking for an other mp3 player...

Exactly! Poweramp is really nice player, maybe one of the best but you can not expect that users are online all the time to validate your application. Application is just 5$, common ;)

Sorry but you are wrong same as for example Blizzard with Diablo or any other anti piracy protection. Your protection makes problems for normal user who paid for your application. Others will always find the way how to crack and actually use application as it should without online check every few days or weeks.

Only way how you can fight against piracy is price, quality and support. All of these you already have and I'm willing to pay 5$ for app. But now, with this ridiculous protection, you are the one who push me to use pirate version!

Great point, I'll note that. I think we do need a new verification system, one that's less annoying but more effective. One that, if done wrongly and pirated, blocks the person from ever using Poweramp again.

Please understand that we don't want to make anyone's life hard. It's quite a difficult situation actually, because most often, the verification systems works perfectly, and only fails less than 2% of the time, so our users really aren't all effected by this. Now if we went ahead and changed the system completely, it'll make a huge problem for people that already use Poweramp and the unlocker.

Also, if you actually do use the pirated version... That's hurtful and also those do not work anymore for the new builds.

Please understand that we don't want to make anyone's life hard. It's quite a difficult situation actually, because most often, the verification systems works perfectly, and only fails less than 2% of the time, so our users really aren't all effected by this. Now if we went ahead and changed the system completely, it'll make a huge problem for people that already use Poweramp and the unlocker.

Something bugs me. I used Poweramp for a long while before this issue arouse.So it look like some change was made.

Hey, even the majors understood that selling mp3 with no drm was more profitable to them. I only began to buy mp3 then they had no DRM. Before, i got the CD and made mp3 from it. Potection anoys user, they cots in development time, in support time when they go crazy...

Please understand that we don't want to make anyone's life hard. It's quite a difficult situation actually, because most often, the verification systems works perfectly, and only fails less than 2% of the time, so our users really aren't all effected by this.

Well, 2% failure is too much, sorry. And it's not really failing, it's just overzealous. I need app I can rely on. I gladly paid Poweramp, used it happily for a while, but if this issue isn't fixed, guess i'll have to find something else.

Great point, I'll note that. I think we do need a new verification system, one that's less annoying but more effective. One that, if done wrongly and pirated, blocks the person from ever using Poweramp again.

What!? Are you crazy? It's music player! Not space ship software! As said before, more protection, more problems for regular users. Every protection could be broken. You're just fighting on wrong field. Same as SOPA, RIAA...

Because you made wrong decision at beggining. And yes, you make life harder for some users. Actually I cannot believe that someone will pay for your application and must do validation every few days or weeks. What will happen if you or your company turn off server? Paid application will become useless. If I pay for something, then I wish to use it whenever I wish, wherever I wish. Now it's look like that I rent application from you and you can forbid any time you wish.

Also, if you actually do use the pirated version... That's hurtful and also those do not work anymore for the new builds.

At beginning Android market wasn't available in my country. Only way to use paid applications is to use pirated version. Then market become available and I purchase all application what I use. You could think about piracy as free advertising. If some application is pirated a lot, it means that application is great and popular. If is popular then, of course, some users will buy it to support developers, get support, updates...

Who wants to buy an application, that will buy it. Who would not, that will always use pirated.

I really understand your frustration. I had the same problem, but what made me upset was the fact that I had to get a gmail and google account in order to validate it. Then I still had the not validated issue come up, but fortunately with tech suport's help I was able to rectify the problem.

I started getting this message a few days ago. I have full internet access via 3G every time. I'm on the latest version so I'm wondering why it can't validate.

It stinks as this is my music player in my car. Who listens to radio anymore? I had to learn how to tune chanels again.

The message is asking for my Poweramp purchase order number.

:-(

EDIT:

I found this on another thread and it worked for me :-) though I didn't have to reboot. I cleared...restarted PA 3 times and it was fine.

In rare cases, if it didn't help, please try the following steps (in the ordered sequence) - this is needed if Market app cached

the license server connection problem status:

1. in android settings => Applications => Manage Applications => Market => press Clear Data

2. reboot the phone

3. start/exit Poweramp 2 times. To exit Poweramp just press back until home screen is visible.

If this isn't resolved it will be the one thing stopping me from purchasing Poweramp. I use a media player every day on the tube and if it's going to suddenly start asking me to connect to the internet when i'm 30m underground it can take a hike.

Lol at the possibility of paying for the app and then having to use a pirated version to get round a license issue

Fix up devs!

• 2 weeks later...

I hope something is done soon since it has started to fail with validation error after a few days of use. Even after following the steps for the fix and/or reinstalling both the app and unlocker app, after a few days if fails again. I started using aVia more now, however I would greatly prefer to use Poweramp since it is a superior app for music.

Do your best guys

Thanks

jd

Yeah the license check is simply annoying. You can do better (maybe 1 check per month or so). 95% of the time I'm spending on my Samsung Galaxy Wifi 4.0 (no phone) is for music only. That's why I turn my wifi off as it saves battery life. Ok, when this license warning appears I turn my wifi on for a short while.

But last week I was sailing and there is of course no wifi on the sea. Every second day I had to delete the app data/cache to use Poweramp and enjoying my music. I hate it to set up the EQ, UI and Audio again and again. Luckily I saved my playlists as m3u8.

Wen, I understand that piracy is a problem, but a lot of people paid 4€ for "a music player" while there are a lot of free/cheaper alternatives in the play store. I paid 4 bucks because after getting my device mit wolfson DAC coming from an ipod touch (never spent a penny on the app store) I tested this player and there was a WOW-effect. It's absolutly worth the money if only I can use it properly while I'm offline.

btw: Does anyone else experienced noise floor when you're using the EQ? When I reset the EQ (->flat) the sound is crystal clear. But I also tested Player Pro: same problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not a "One-Time" License Check?

I mean:

"Device-ID: Check"

"G Account: Ckeck"

And... thats it, why these License Checks?

For me no problem, but, you see, enough users are pissed off :D.

One Time Check is okay... or?

Ahh and a Question: What happens when your Server(s) are offline?? Do we have than all Demo? LoL

Maybe u guys should have one time in app verification like voodoo louder by supercurio...I believe that solves piracy problems hand won't annoy the customers..only time it needs to check is when u flash a new rom or factory reset ur phone and I believe the app has never been pirated as well...I too find the continuous license check in absence of data connection annoying...maybe this mode of security will be better?

Maybe u guys should have one time in app verification like voodoo louder by supercurio...I believe that solves piracy problems hand won't annoy the customers..only time it needs to check is when u flash a new rom or factory reset ur phone and I believe the app has never been pirated as well...I too find the continuous license check in absence of data connection annoying...maybe this mode of security will be better?

The licence check doesn't happen unless you change the ID of the phone, flash a ROM, switch Gmail accounts and what not.

Archived