Back Button During Now Playing

I noticed this had been mentioned before, but the post seemed to go ignored.

Anyway, I would like the back button to take me back to the track list during Now Playing instead of back to the home screen. I'd press the home button if I wanted that.. Is there a reason it's like this?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's like that so people can go back to their home screen faster... And not the tracklist because there are too many possibilities of places people would want to go to if the Back button was setup that way. But if you click the song name below the play/pause button... You will go to the tracklist :)

This behavior was actually a requested feature before ;)

• 2 weeks later...

How about an option then? I'd like the back key to take me back through the menus/lists. If I want to get to the home screen fast, I can just press the home button. Now I have two buttons right next to each other that do essentially the same thing.

Typically, the back button goes something like this...

Now Playing > Track List > Album List > Artist List> Home Screen

The home button...

Now Playing > Home Screen

How about an option then? I'd like the back key to take me back through the menus/lists. If I want to get to the home screen fast, I can just press the home button. Now I have two buttons right next to each other that do essentially the same thing.

The home button...

I second this, this feature would be brilliant.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/31/2012 at 9:17 AM, brosselle said:

The home button...

I know this is an old thread, but this would be a great feature. It could just be an option so people who want to retain the function that is available now can. But I agree with earlier posters (and some people on reddit have also voiced), that having a home button as well as a back button which returns to home immediately is counterintuitive. Of course having the default start screen or open screen being now playing makes sense, but often pressing the back button is easier than clicking around on the screen to get to the current playlist. 

Please make this a feature!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Poweramp Settings > Look and Feel > General > Startup Screen. Change this from Player to Library (or Folders) and that will become the app's entry/exit screen rather than the player. But pressing Back within an app's homepage is normally used to exit the app, so it's only standard Android functionality.

Andre

• 1 year later...

Hi, in the newest Poweramp / Android this option seems to have disappeared... You can only choose for the back button to exit the app or take you to the top of the folder list. 

Am I missing something? Thanks! 

Screenshot_20190502-091011.png

22 minutes ago, daanhaeyen said:

Hi, in the newest Poweramp / Android this option seems to have disappeared... You can only choose for the back button to exit the app or take you to the top of the folder list. 

Am I missing something? Thanks! 

Screenshot_20190502-091011.png

There is an option in Settings > Library > Lists > Library List Options, with which you can set the starting point

42201993237.jpg

1 hour ago, daanhaeyen said:

Yes, but I want the back button to take me back one level in the folder, not to the top... 

It does. If you are viewing a folder's contents, the back button will take you up one level, and so on until you reach the library root level. What happens from there depends on the setting discussed above, it can either exit the app or return to the Player screen, depending on your choice.

Andre

25 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

It does. If you are viewing a folder's contents, the back button will take you up one level, and so on until you reach the library root level. What happens from there depends on the setting discussed above, it can either exit the app or return to the Player screen, depending on your choice.

Andre

You're absolutely right, but when you are in the "now playing" screen, it doesn't work that way. You have to pinch or press the folder name. The back button takes you back to top level. No big deal, but a bit inconsistent. 

By the way, when opening Poweramp in folder view, I always see another song than the one actually selected. Is this a bug? 

Thanks, Daan 

Yes, the Back button will take you back to the startup screen from the Player screen if that's what you have selected.

Not sure what you mean by pinching or pressing the folder name from the Player screen though, all you need to do is tap on the artwork to get to the current category song list (e.g, Folder view).

Andre

46 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Yes, the Back button will take you back to the startup screen from the Player screen if that's what you have selected.

Not sure what you mean by pinching or pressing the folder name from the Player screen though, all you need to do is tap on the artwork to get to the current category song list (e.g, Folder view).

Andre

Okay, tapping in the artwork is great, didn't know that. Thanks! 

This has been the most awkward thing about this app and I've been using it for years now. Is there a reason you wont just let the back tap take you to the menu's or something? I'm loyal to this app, nothing else sounds like it, but this is also the only app I've ever seen that has it set up this way. It gets frustrating because when I'm switching back and forth between this and Spotify I always get confused and wind up on my phones home screen then I have to reopen the app window. Please guys fix this already. 

Ps: also can we get an option to play music in 432 hz? Fix the other thing first though, haha

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've also been using Poweramp for years (5 to be exact) and I've signed up to complain about this, that's how annoying this is. The back button does not work as one would expect a back button to work. The back button should take you back to wherever you were previously. iPods did this almost 20 years ago.

If I select a song by navigating through Artist -> Album -> Song and touch play, when I hit back from the player it should take me back to the album.

If I'm going through the library to figure out what song I want to play next, and suddenly I decide I want to open the player (to rewind a part I missed/to look at the lyrics/to add it to a playlist/etc) when I hit back it should take me back exactly to where I was before I opened the player, be it the album I played it from, a completely different album, a playlist I'm looking at or anything.

Every single music player I've ever used behaves this way. The stock music app on my LG behaves this way. The stock music app on my Sony behaved this way. I just don't understand why Poweramp is the only one with this nonsensical behaviour.

@fzz I think this will be improved for Start in Library mode (Settings / Look and Feel / Start at Library), in this case Library is an initial page and you go from Library => category => songs => main ui. Back makes sense here to return back to list

As for default mode with player screen as the main one, changing back button have no sense. as previous screen for the main screen is Launcher.

Btw, pressing (swiping down) album art always leads to the current list.

I think the point was that intuitively the Back button should always go 'back', i.e. it should always return you to whatever screen you were viewing just before the one you are on now.

Thus if you are in the Player screen and you tap on the cover artwork (to bring you to the songs list for the current category) then the Back button should not act as an 'up' button as it does now, but instead simply go directly BACK to the player screen again.

If, however, you arrived at that same songs list by drilling down through several layers of folders, then the Back button should recursively take you back up one layer at a time to the higher levels of folder(s).

There are of course already specific ways to achieve both of these results within the library view anyway - tap on the mini-player to return to the Player screen, or tap on the top-left 'up-arrow' to go up a category level - but logically the Back button should behave dynamically and its result should depend on which screen you originally came from

Andre