Customize lists within lists

In Library > List Options we can select a number of list types to to be available. This is great! However, when we view a list, select an item within a list, the way the next list is itemized is limited (sub-list). Yes, the items within a sub-list can be sorted in certain ways, but the items in a sub-list are not customizable (sp). For example: If I select to View a list of Genres and then select the Genre list item "Jazz", I get a sub-list of "Genre Albums", but I would much rather see a sub-list of "Artists". It is difficult enough to maintain mp3 tags with the proper titles, artists and genres. The nice thing about having music packaged into single songs per file is that we don't need to have "albums" -- ie. we can pick and choose songs from many albums by the same artist we like, and choose to not collect the rest of the songs from those albums. Therefore many of us have many incomplete albums from the same artist, and we LIKE it that way! I would rather select a Genre from a list and then be presented with a list of all the Artists within that Genre, rather than a list of all the incomplete albums within that genre, especially when I have one one song from one album, three from another, four from a collection album, and 5 songs with no album tags, all from the same artist.

So I am thinking that since we already have the ability to customize what lists types will be selectable, and then customize the way the sub-list is sorted, maybe we could also have an option to what kind of sub-list will be displayed.

maybe we could customize our own tree of lists > sub-lists > sub-sub-lists (:-), ie:

Genre > Artists > Songs

Artists > Albums > Songs

Genre > Composers > Artists > Songs <-- very useful for classical music

Genre > Composers > Songs > Artists

Genre > Songs > Artists <--- useful for jazz standards recorded by so many artists over the years

All of these ways of listing music are useful, and I imagine users would come up with more to suit their particular listening preference for any given session.

I am glad I bought Poweramp, and thanks for taking the time to consider this suggestion.

• 1 month later...

You are talking about inception? a list within a list? Okay just kidding. But in all seriousness, that is a possibility. I'll keep this in the feature request section, and we'll look back on it when adding new features and will possible add this too. Thanks for the tip

• 2 weeks later...

Following on from the previous request, currently if I search for an artist, I can't list the songs by Album/Track#. A very common use case for me is searching for an artist and listening to their albums one after another with the songs in the right order within the album i.e.

Artist

- Album 1

* Track 1

* Track 2

- Album 2

* Track 1

* Track 2

It would be great if we had this option. By the way, keep up the great work. By far the best music player on android !

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to see genre/artist instead of genre/albums. This would also hopefully resolve my issues with how greatest hits albums are displaying (single album - multiple artists). Loving Poweramp so far!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

First of all, as my first post, I should say this is easily my most used and favourite app on my android - keep up the good work!

The topic of this thread is, though, the biggest gripe I have with the app. I'm just posting here as a bump.

Sorting genres by album only makes sense to people who value alphabetic sorting above sorting by artists (which is surely rather arbitrary?!). By this, I mean that when I look in (e.g.) Rock, I am still looking to narrow down my search further by artist, before I pick out of an album. I have almost 700 albums under Rock, but only about half that number of artists (because, like most music fans, I like most of my artists enough to have bought at least a couple of their releases).

Thanks for the consideration,

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

After trying Poweramp and finding this "Genre/Album" navigation limitation in the tag browsing (i.e. no "Artist" sub-list between Genre and Album), I came to these forums to see if anyone else had commented about this.

In my experience with numerous standalone handheld players and android music apps, I can say that the best approach I've personally seen to this subject by FAR has been to allow Genre/Artist/Album/Song navigation WITH the addition of an "All Artists" selection at the top of the artist list, and an "All Albums" selection at the top of the album list. This allow both Genre/Artist/Album AND Genre/Album navigation, BOTH of which have their place.

In other words, I completely agree with previous posts asking for the ability to choose a genre, and then choose an artist, and then choose an album. This approach gives people the ability to drill down to specific artists/albums/songs VERY quickly even when there are hundreds or even thousands of artists and/or albums in the library (something that is not easy at the moment.) The addition of the "All Artists" and "All Albums" selections at the top of the Artist and Album lists, however, offers the additional, much-needed feature of still being able to do Genre/Album navigation, which is necessary to easily find and play songs off of albums with multiple artists, such as a soundtrack album.

For example, let's say I want to play a song off a soundtrack album where I do not know the artist. I choose the "Genre" category and select "Soundtrack." I then select "All Artists" at the top of the list, which takes me to ALL of the soundtrack albums, INCLUDING the ones with multiple artists on them. I navigate to the album and select the song. It's basically "Genre/Album" navigation at this point (as it is now), which is still needed. The "All Albums" button, in similar fashion, would allow you to easily drill in to all songs by a certain artist, or all songs in a certain genre, and play them without having to sift through hundreds or thousands of entries, and without having to manually queue anything (or type in custom search parameters.) All of this makes a considerable difference in a car by greatly reducing the number of keystrokes needed.

Just to reiterate, what can't be done at the moment is to go to a genre, then select an artist and easily browse through all of this artist's albums. I need to use the "Artist" field for this, which is a pain since there are hundreds (thousands?) of entries, which makes navigation MUCH more tedious than Genre/Artist/Album navigation is.

Being able to actually create customized navigation list hierarchies, however (with more than two levels of sub-lists) would be ideal.

Thanks for considering this feature/feature set.

Larry

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'd realy like to echo all the above comments. I'm very surprised by how few (hardly any) Android music players allow a Genre, then Artists browse (without having to sort through all the albums first). Please, please, please add this feature, because I love everything else about this app. Thanks!

• 5 years later...

Archived