Albums by Album Artist

Seradon

It should also work this way in the artist's screen. Just as a frame of reference take a look at how iTunes, Windows Media Player and Google Music (the one on the market, not the one that comes with Android) does this sorting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Please ignore this Album Artist request silliness. I find the current situation with android media players encouraging: there is so much space for improvement I'm considering writing my own media player with this feature. It would be my competitive advantage if you just ignored this silly request.

Please ignore this Album Artist request silliness. I find the current situation with android media players encouraging: there is so much space for improvement I'm considering writing my own media player with this feature. It would be my competitive advantage if you just ignored this silly request.

Sounds good sir. Good luck to you and your application. Make sure to share it when done!

As for the actual feature, we're already working on it but we won't mention it ;)

I just loaded Poweramp today, along with every other music player that looked nice. Poweramp wins hands down, and I'll continue to evaluate it for the eval period.

I do use "album artist" vs "artist" in my collection. A simple example of a problem with "artist" alone is Britney Spears, Femme Fatale, track #6. The artist is "Britney Spears Feat. Sabi". When I select "Albums by Artist" this single song breaks off into it's own "album".

I know this is not a simple fix, as not every ripper populates the "album artist" tag field.

Poweramp looks like the best of players so far, with this one exception. Worst case would be loading NOW ## or a few soundtrack albums, with a different "artist" on each track. Ouch...

Definitely agree. With sorting music by Album Artist Poweramp (no more repeated artists whose only difference is who is featured on the song) will be the perfect android music app in my eyes. Hopefully it is implemented soon....I've noticed that PlayerPro has the ability to sort by Album Artist...

I realise you have already said you are looking into this… but I thought I’d just add my two cents as well… I agree that this is a must-have feature for anyone who has used Album Artist tags with a large music collection (such as myself). Without this it is very messy and difficult to use.

PlayerPro’s implementation of this has a slightly odd folder restriction, which I find breaks it a bit but has some advantages for things such as "Various Artists" albums. I prefer the simpler implementation such as how (desktop) Winamp works when using an Album Artist view.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'd just like to add my support for this new feature. I'm a relatively new Android user and I've just discovered Poweramp, and downloaded the trial version. When I found out it didn't sort by album artist, I googled and found this page. I look forward to the feature in a future release.

One hint: I know some songs don't contain album artist information in their tags - in that case the app should take the artist for that particular song and treat it as the album artist.

I've just found a temporary workaround. It won't work for everyone, but it works for me. I keep my music folders in a hierarchical structure, with the top-level folders named after the album artist, and these contain folders named after the album. Now I can use the folder list, and I've set my list options to "path", so it sorts it by top-level folder first (i.e. album artist) and then by folder (i.e. album name).

I have the same problem and so the same request.

For example I just added the new album 'Cruel Summer' which is a compilation from the 'GOOD Music' label. So I tagged the files like this:

• Album: Cruel Summer
  • Track name: To The World
  • Track name/Position: 1
  • Artist: Kanye West & R. Kelly
  • Album Artist: G.O.O.D. Music

In Poweramp this leads to this:

2zz45qt.jpg

Not good :(

The Google Play Music player does it right:

aetoyh.jpg

A solution should be to prioritize the album artist in the album view over the artist and to add an alternative album artist view.

I hope this will be changed soon, because I like Poweramp a lot otherwise. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived