Library sorting

rimbaud

I feel as if I am missing something. I have one song downloaded from Amazon and the rest are ALAC that I either manually transferred and organized into folders onto my Incredible or used iSyncr to transfer to my phone. Regardless, everything plays fine but only shows up in Poweramp as unsorted folders. When I go to the Library it lists everything as empty – songs, albums, artists, etc. Did I miss a step?

I was thinking it could be an ALAC issue but then remembered the Amazon mp3 that was not properly sorted, either.

I only have the trial version but I love the fact that there has been no issue with ALAC reading and will use this as my go to player assuming I can pick albums and such.

I'm pretty sure that it's because Poweramp doesn't actually maintain the library, it just reads from it. The OS handles the indexing. Thus:

- Your files have to be in specific folders. Make sure your music is in the right folder (I think it was /sdcard/media/music/ for stock Android and /sdcard/music/ for Sense ROMs). Put a standard MP3 file in the location you currently use and check that the stock Music application indexes it

- I don't think Android indexes files that can't be read by its' stock players, but I could be wrong

Folder view avoids both of these limitations.

I'm pretty sure that it's because Poweramp doesn't actually maintain the library, it just reads from it. The OS handles the indexing. Thus:

- Your files have to be in specific folders. Make sure your music is in the right folder (I think it was /sdcard/media/music/ for stock Android and /sdcard/music/ for Sense ROMs). Put a standard MP3 file in the location you currently use and check that the stock Music application indexes it

- I don't think Android indexes files that can't be read by its' stock players, but I could be wrong

Folder view avoids both of these limitations.

That is the odd thing - and something I should have mentioned in my original post. When I open the Incredible's native player it shows all the songs, artists, albums, and genres categorized correctly. It just can't play anything because of the ALAC issue. So my OS has interpreted it all correctly. But there is some communication issue with Poweramp.

Folder view is not a solution yet because it originally only showed individual songs in random order. Now it only shows album folders in random order. So that is an improvement (and I have no idea why it changed since I last looked) but it still is less than ideal.

Thanks for the report.

What is the location (paths) of your music? Is this somethere on /emmc ? This location is generally not available via standard Android API, but I'm looking into this issue.

Also, this won't be a problem for PowerAMP v2.0 supported Library, so I may be delay this until v2.0.

Thanks for the report.

What is the location (paths) of your music? Is this somethere on /emmc ?

Yes, that was it - thanks. I hadn't thought of that and switched music over to the SD card and now everything is perfect. Still odd that the native player wa able to see and categorize, though.

I am definitely enjoying the player and looking forward to v 2.0 (and will now pay for the full version of the current version, of course).

• 4 months later...

Archived