Access to "Settings" Menu without menu button

Hi guys,

I've just bought Poweramp for my HTC One V and it's great except one thing. The One V does not have an off-screen Menu button; apps have their own on screen buttons to access the menu.

However in Poweramp I can't find an on screen way to get to the Menu (which I need in order to change settings). Am I being stupid or can you really only access the menu with an off-screen menu button?

Is there any other way to access it? Because otherwise it makes things quite difficult for me...

Any ideas?

Thanks so much ;)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've tried a few music players and I really like the trial version of this one. I have the same problem - I do not get an option anywhere within the Poweramp app for "settings". If someone can help with this issue I would buy the full version without a doubt.

I've tried a few music players and I really like the trial version of this one. I have the same problem - I do not get an option anywhere within the Poweramp app for "settings". If someone can help with this issue I would buy the full version without a doubt.

Wow, that would be a major issue. I'll pass this on to the developer to get it fixed. The app hasn't been updated for a while, but I do know he is working on capability features for the One V as we speak (beats, etc.)

Here is what Max said

There should be onscreen menu button (on the bottom, spans the whole width of the screen).

Btw in 2.0.6 (next build) we optimized this menu issue for ICS devices without menu buttons (menu button is now floating somewhere

depending on screen - google thinks it's a good idea and pushes this approach).

Thanks!

Thanks for that, good to know it's being worked on. Still can't find the menu button he is talking about; on the "Player" screen at the bottom I just have the title of what is playing (which takes you to Library if you click it), below that the progress bar of where you are in the song (which seeks if you click it), and below that the bitrate and frequency (which does nothing if you click it). So yeah, still no menu....

Certainly I was confused but have now seen the light - or to be more precise, the menu button. I had assumed that the elusive menu button/tab was part of the application. In other words along the bottom of the screen I'd get: Folders....Player.....Library... and then Menu or Settings or at least more options.

Eventually the penny dropped and it was the actual menu button on the phone (the button with the four small squares) that was the key.

It probably sounds like I'm a right idiot but I'm new to my Android phone. I won't fall for that one again, I hope.

Oh, you didn't see that? yeah, well for everyone that's new to ICS the menu button for apps and phones without menu buttons is the buttons with the 4 squares in the very button right of the screen. Google wanted developers to implement that, so that's why it's like that. Sorry for not mentioning that before, I thought you guys knew.

Certainly I was confused but have now seen the light - or to be more precise, the menu button. I had assumed that the elusive menu button/tab was part of the application. In other words along the bottom of the screen I'd get: Folders....Player.....Library... and then Menu or Settings or at least more options.

Eventually the penny dropped and it was the actual menu button on the phone (the button with the four small squares) that was the key.

It probably sounds like I'm a right idiot but I'm new to my Android phone. I won't fall for that one again, I hope.

The problem this thread is about, however, is for phone WITHOUT a menu button. To access a menu in an app, the button must be on screen. Poweramp doesn't seem to have one on screen, hence people with phones without menu buttons cannot access the menu. This is what the phone looks like (no menu button as you can see):

http://androidheadlines.com/images/first-look-at-the-htc-one-v_r-et-_0.jpg

Wen, I fail to see the on-screen menu button that supposedly spans the width of the whole screen that you were talking about. To be clear here is what I see: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-c29iiYFwGTA/T4k0jCFPtOI/AAAAAAAADo0/VnA9XiY-VJ0/s1600/Poweramp-androidmusicplayer.jpg.

So, if you look at that and read this: "on the "Player" screen at the bottom I just have the title of what is playing (which takes you to Library if you click it), below that the progress bar of where you are in the song (which seeks if you click it), and below that the bitrate and frequency (which does nothing if you click it)."

Am I missing something stupid?

The problem this thread is about, however, is for phone WITHOUT a menu button. To access a menu in an app, the button must be on screen. Poweramp doesn't seem to have one on screen, hence people with phones without menu buttons cannot access the menu. This is what the phone looks like (no menu button as you can see):

http://androidheadli...e-v_r-et-_0.jpg

Wen, I fail to see the on-screen menu button that supposedly spans the width of the whole screen that you were talking about. To be clear here is what I see: http://2.bp.blogspot...usicplayer.jpg.

So, if you look at that and read this: "on the "Player" screen at the bottom I just have the title of what is playing (which takes you to Library if you click it), below that the progress bar of where you are in the song (which seeks if you click it), and below that the bitrate and frequency (which does nothing if you click it)."

Am I missing something stupid?

This is what is going on... ICS manufacturer and Google aren't being nice with us. They make phones without menu buttons (manufacturer) and Google tells us to make use of the bottom row and the 4 square buttons as the menu key instead, then the phone software makes the buttons go away by hiding that specific row where the menu button would be. Now I understand where the problem is, thanks for the picture it really cleared things up. Max is working on capabilities issues, and so that should be fixed asap.

So basically if your phone was an ICS phone without buttons, like Google intended, you would have the menu buttons like it is on the Galaxy Nexus. If your phone had ICS and buttons, it should have a menu buttons. For those that have no bottom row, and no menu button.. that's where the problem comes in. We'll fix it, no worries, sorry you're going to have to deal with this for the next few weeks.

This is what is going on... ICS manufacturer and Google aren't being nice with us. They make phones without menu buttons (manufacturer) and Google tells us to make use of the bottom row and the 4 square buttons as the menu key instead, then the phone software makes the buttons go away by hiding that specific row where the menu button would be. Now I understand where the problem is, thanks for the picture it really cleared things up. Max is working on capabilities issues, and so that should be fixed asap.

So basically if your phone was an ICS phone without buttons, like Google intended, you would have the menu buttons like it is on the Galaxy Nexus. If your phone had ICS and buttons, it should have a menu buttons. For those that have no bottom row, and no menu button.. that's where the problem comes in. We'll fix it, no worries, sorry you're going to have to deal with this for the next few weeks.

OK that makes sense, thanks so much ;)

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone; I'm new to Android, and just downloaded Poweramp for my GNEX.

I'd like to make a suggestion here. The next time any of you refer to something on the phone, please ask your wife, friend, or someone who isn't already an expert if they understand what you mean. For a novice like me, most of the above is as clear as mud.

I don't have a "menu button", and I'm not sure what you guys mean by most of your terminology.

It would be better if you were to simply tell people to press every button, key, and icon they can find anyplace within the program until they see the words "direct volume control", and then to disable it.

I know you all mean well, and thanks to you guys, I did eventually find the setting so I could disable it (so Volume+ would work properly), but I came within seconds of just removing Poweramp trial completely, and writing the whole episode off as a waste of time.

I've got the feeling Poweramp is a great addition to the GNEX, and it looks very professional. I'm guessing the guy(s) who do this must be very, very dedicated. I don't have a good answer - but while a year from now, this will all sound incredibly simple to me, right now it's thoroughly confusing.

Volume+ is a necessity on the GNEX.

Poweramp is a great addition.

If I had to choose (which I'm hoping I don't), I can live without Poweramp but not without Volume+.

• 2 weeks later...

Heyho! I've got a licensed Poweramp and I've used it without trouble on my previous phone: The HTC HD2.

Recently, I've bought a padfone. This is a device without any hardware buttons. It uses the softbuttons in the bottom of the screen. I normally see back, home and multitasker, with the 4 dots on the right side for *some* apps.

I cannot access the menu at all. The 4 dots don't show and long pressing the multitask button is already assigned to another function on this device (I cannot clear this up completely so the menu can pop up).

So my question; when will this be solved, and the menu becomes accessible with the 4 dots on the bottom?

This issue has been posted in may and it's now three months later. I hope you guys can solve this soon.

Heyho! I've got a licensed Poweramp and I've used it without trouble on my previous phone: The HTC HD2.

Recently, I've bought a padfone. This is a device without any hardware buttons. It uses the softbuttons in the bottom of the screen. I normally see back, home and multitasker, with the 4 dots on the right side for *some* apps.

I cannot access the menu at all. The 4 dots don't show and long pressing the multitask button is already assigned to another function on this device (I cannot clear this up completely so the menu can pop up).

So my question; when will this be solved, and the menu becomes accessible with the 4 dots on the bottom?

This issue has been posted in may and it's now three months later. I hope you guys can solve this soon.

This issue was already solved for people with One X and any device with the 4 dot menu button, but we are trying to figure out a new way to display the settings on screen!

Thanks tho.

This issue was already solved for people with One X and any device with the 4 dot menu button, but we are trying to figure out a new way to display the settings on screen!

Thanks tho.

Interesting. My device is able to show that menu, but doesn't for Poweramp. Any advice then? What can I do in the meantime?

http://www.asus.com/Mobile/PadFone/

A phone that can be docked into a tablet shell, turning it into a tablet. Which can be docked into a keyboard, turning it into a netbook.

Okay, but just wanted to let you know that there's an update coming up... Nevertheless you have to do what you have to do. Hopefully Poweramp is worth keeping, if not, I guess nothing more we can do.

It's indeed very unfortunate. I'm sure this was the best audio player on android, but if it's not configurable at all, there's nothing I can do with it. Right now it's very annoyingly starting to play every time I jack a headset in - and I can't turn that off.

I'll give that update a chance then - any idea when? I'll refrain from that review for a while. Just don't leave users hanging for days, to only respond when they threaten to share their experience with the rest of the world - if you keep people posted, you'll build some good will.

Archived