Long audio file handling (radio shows, podcasts, spoken word, etc)

Hi Max,

I know you've said before that Poweramp isn't really an audiobook player, which is fair enough, but many users are also using Poweramp to play podcasts and radio shows which have much the same sort of navigation issues.

There are two really simple little features which would go a long way to alleviating the problems that Poweramp currently has with either of those two audio formats:

1) Add an option to exclude very long audio files from shuffled/random playback lists. I would suggest making the length user-definable, but if you just want to make it a simple on/off tickbox then I'd suggest about 10 minutes would be an appropriate value.

2) Add an option to store the current playback position for any long audio files, so that when something else has been played in the meantime, going back to the original track will automatically re-commence at the last-played position. Again, a user-definable value would be nice, but 10 minutes or so should be fine by default.

These two very simple options would be a massive improvement on usability versus the current way that podcasts and other spoken-word files are handled, but without impacting in any way on music playback performance.

I would be grateful if you could consider these two additions as at least a small nod toward the many people who have asked for variants of these features in the past, and thank you for all the hard work you put into this application.

Andre

Hello,

1) Add an option to exclude very long audio files from shuffled/random playback lists. I would suggest making the length user-definable, but if you just want to make it a simple on/off tickbox then I'd suggest about 10 minutes would be an appropriate value.

Andre

I don't think this will work well. Chapter lengths tend to vary a lot from book to book, setting one good-for-all lenth will prove impossible.

Instead I would suggest the option to add a folder in which audiobooks are stored. We could then set i.e. the "Podcasts & Audiobooks" folder as such in PA and the program would know it should handle those files accordingly.

I have two more suggestions completing those of Andre:

3) Add an option to display buttons for forward/backward skipping a set number of seconds. The length could be user-configurable, but it's not essential. 5 or 10 secs will work, I think.

4) Add an option to increase/decrease play speed i.e. by increments of 50%. When you listen to speech, this is a must.

Thank you for considering these humble suggestions. Your application is simply astonishing.

Akos

Instead I would suggest the option to add a folder in which audiobooks are stored. We could then set i.e. the "Podcasts & Audiobooks" folder as such in PA and the program would know it should handle those files accordingly.

That would work very well too, and would also be pretty easy to implement (maybe something as simple as a ".spokenword" file in any folder you wanted to be treated as containing podcast/radioshow/audiobook files). It's important that any such feature should not be for audiobooks specifically though, as Max has already said he does not intend to make Poweramp an audiobook-friendly player. It needs to be broadly for any spoken word files, of which there are many different types.

I do like the jump forward/backward option too - I've been asking for that feature for ages though, as it's far more useful than the hold-for-fastforward (or backward) facility when listening to any type of audio (music, radio, whatever). I suggested 30 secs forward and 10 secs backward (for quick recaps) I think.

Andre

Archived