Randomly missing metadata

I noticed the other day that the information for two releases isn't showing correctly on Poweramp. Some information from the metadata is still there, but the album covers, genres, track numbers, and album artists tags are blank. I can edit them on the device and that sort of fixes it, but I want to know what is causing this when so many of my other files show up just fine. What's even stranger to me is that these songs show up perfectly fine on my Walkman's proprietary app, which isn't as good as Poweramp when it comes to handling metadata.

Screenshot_20240402-101014.thumb.png.9b57ef33da949baeb2dcf33990170ba8.png

Screenshot_20240402-101025.thumb.png.05eab4f031c22a6845e20188df2734bf.png

4 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Try long-pressing on one of the problem songs and select Info/Tags to see what the actual tag contents contain. 

Andre

Here's what shows. Basically only the artist and titles are filled in. There is information in those fields on my computer, but they won't display in Poweramp.

Screenshot_20240402-180518.thumb.png.0dd485b855d4a1bfdd82bba1b9c2252e.png

image.png.4b5ddeaba3e0eb4ef92a193fe2a56aa6.png

Looks like those files are not saved quite as PA is expecting them as per the spec. Could you temporarily upload the B.T.A. one somewhere for testing, as that is not indicating the presence of tags for Track#, Album Artist or a cover image. Please upload directly from your phone's storage, not from a separate master copy held elsewhere on a computer.

Andre

One reason can be if the files are slowly copied to the device, and Poweramp scans the tags before the file has been completely copied. I had a lot of issues like this a long time ago, if I remember correctly there was a delay added to the scanner or similar in Poweramp.

There are two things that you can try:

- FULL rescan of your library, this will rescan all tags of your files. Please note that this will also reset the "date added" to the library.

- Move the tracks out of your music folder, rescan, move the files back and Poweramp should rescan them as new files.

15 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Looks like those files are not saved quite as PA is expecting them as per the spec. Could you temporarily upload the B.T.A. one somewhere for testing, as that is not indicating the presence of tags for Track#, Album Artist or a cover image. Please upload directly from your phone's storage, not from a separate master copy held elsewhere on a computer.

Andre

Here's the file from the Walkman. When inspected on my computer, the metadata is still intact.

Definitely something slightly skew in the tagging data. If you open the file in MP3Tag and simply re-save it without making any content changes, it then reads everything fine in Poweramp.

I'm guessing that either the ordering of the data might be a bit unusual, or one of the tags contains some information which is breaking Poweramp's parsing process. Foobar2000 on my PC reads the 'missing' items fine, but VLC does not see track#, artwork, etc.

@maxmp ought to be able to tell us more anyway, and if there are more of this type of file in the wild then perhaps he might be able to create a work-around for them?

[Edit] In fact, I wonder if Poweramp is only able to see the legacy ID3v1 data, at the end of the file. I say this as the Genre byte in the ID3v1 tags is '12', which decodes to "Other", Also only the content available in the v1 tags is visible in PA's Info/Tags screen.

Andre

3 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Definitely something slightly skew in the tagging data. If you open the file in MP3Tag and simply re-save it without making any content changes, it then reads everything fine in Poweramp.

I'm guessing that either the ordering of the data might be a bit unusual, or one of the tags contains some information which is breaking Poweramp's parsing process. Foobar2000 on my PC reads the 'missing' items fine, but VLC does not see track#, artwork, etc.

@maxmp ought to be able to tell us more anyway, and if there are more of this type of file in the wild then perhaps he might be able to create a work-around for them?

[Edit] In fact, I wonder if Poweramp is only able to see the legacy ID3v1 data, at the end of the file. I say this as the Genre byte in the ID3v1 tags is '12', which decodes to "Other", Also only the content available in the v1 tags is visible in PA's Info/Tags screen.

Andre

Saving in MP3Tag fixed the Dismemberment Plan songs, but the VAST ones only got corrected halfway. Some of the album is stuff messed up. Here's a song that still has the missing info:

The problem might be that you have both id3v1 and id3v2 tags in the file. I don't have time tonight to look more into this, but I think mp3tag can drop the id3v1 tags for you.

$ id3v2 -l 01MyTVandYou.mp3 
id3v1 tag info for 01MyTVandYou.mp3:
Title  : My TV and You                   Artist: VAST                          
Album  : Stripped/Orange                 Year: 2016, Genre: Other (12)
Comment:                                 Track: 0
id3v2 tag info for 01MyTVandYou.mp3:
COMM (Comments): (iTunPGAP)[eng]: 0
COMM (Comments): (iTunNORM)[eng]:  0000016D 00000181 000031E0 00002F99 0000F2F5 0000F2F5 00005D28 00006401 00012387 0000F2C1
COMM (Comments): (iTunSMPB)[eng]:  00000000 00000210 0000075C 0000000000644394 00000000 005AD925 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
COMM (Comments): (iTunes_CDDB_IDs)[eng]: 12++
TENC (Encoded by): iTunes 12.5.4.42

Normally ID3v2 tags should override any v1 tags that are in the same file, which are only there for backward compatibility. But it does seem that again in the second example file (VAST,) only the v1 tags are being utilised. But again it is completely fixed by simply opening and re-saving it in MP3Tag, and then all of the v2.3 tags show up as expected (including genre, cover art and lyrics).

Andre

I had a look at this using some Linux tools.

• mp3val (mp3 validation tool) had no complaints
  • mediainfo, mid3v2 and id3v2 read the tags without any issues
  • exiftool read the tags with a minor warning
    • [minor] Frame 'TSOA' is not valid for this ID3 version
  • eyeD3 didn't show the basic tags such as title and artist, but it did show comments and user text frames

I then used id3v2 to remove the TSOA which gave an error "Frame ID TSOA not detected", but nevertheless removed the TSOA and the files displayed just fine in eyeD3 and Poweramp.

Edited by 6b6561

Technically TSOA (and TSOP, which was in the earlier B.T.A. file) are not defined in the ID3v2.3 spec as they were only added for ID3v2.4, but the same goes for some other tags which are applied somewhat loosely by apps. I was also puzzled by "ID3_TSP" and "ID3_TSC" entries, which I'm not familiar with.

However since Poweramp doesn't parse any of these anyway, I can't see why their slightly-unexpected presence should cause the whole ID3v2 block to be ignored. And after simply re-saving the problem files with MP3Tag, those tags are all still present but the rest of the ID3v2.3 data is all read correctly. This is going to need Max to take a look as I'm sure it will turn out to be something slightly out of spec that is breaking the parser.

@RetroGameReaper What was the original source of these files, and have they been re-edited since their original download? One file for example shows both iTunes and MusicBrainz tags.

Andre

12 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Technically TSOA (and TSOP, which was in the earlier B.T.A. file) are not defined in the ID3v2.3 spec as they were only added for ID3v2.4, but the same goes for some other tags which are applied somewhat loosely by apps. I was also puzzled by "ID3_TSP" and "ID3_TSC" entries, which I'm not familiar with.

However since Poweramp doesn't parse any of these anyway, I can't see why their slightly-unexpected presence should cause the whole ID3v2 block to be ignored. And after simply re-saving the problem files with MP3Tag, those tags are all still present but the rest of the ID3v2.3 data is all read correctly. This is going to need Max to take a look as I'm sure it will turn out to be something slightly out of spec that is breaking the parser.

@RetroGameReaper What was the original source of these files, and have they been re-edited since their original download? One file for example shows both iTunes and MusicBrainz tags.

Andre

The source is from a, let's just say, "nefarious" place. They have been credited by me. I believe the Musicbrainz tags are from that. For the VAST song I sent, the MP3Tag trick didn't work, though.

Ah, that sort of source. :) Does make it a bit harder to work out what got broken of course.

However for me, even the second sample file that you uploaded is also fixed just as easily by simply opening it in MP3Tag and immediately saving it again, no need to make any changes, and then the full ID3v2.3 tags are picked up. Make sure you rescan after copying it over to your phone so the old file info is not still being used.

Andre

22 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Ah, that sort of source. :) Does make it a bit harder to work out what got broken of course.

However for me, even the second sample file that you uploaded is also fixed just as easily by simply opening it in MP3Tag and immediately saving it again, no need to make any changes, and then the full ID3v2.3 tags are picked up. Make sure you rescan after copying it over to your phone so the old file info is not still being used.

Andre

I tried it again and it still won't work. I don't know why since doing that with MP3Tag fixed half of the album. I wonder if clearing the tags would fix anything. I'm at a loss at this point lol