"Too many failed files, playing will stop now"

I'm having the same issue on my Nexus 4 (stock with faux kernel). I've tried to clear the data, uninstall and reinstall the app, reboot the phone, change the files, nothing works. Just to address the typical problems:

-The files do exist on the disk. Folder rescanning didn't change anything.

-Can't unmount the SD card on the N4.

-Files are mp3s and flacs for the most part, with some m4as thrown into the mix. None of them, regardless of type, works, though when I select one to play the correct metadata (title, album, bitrate, file type, etc.) will show up. The only element which doesn't show up is track length; I just get -:--.

-Files can be read by Play Music without any hiccups whatsoever, so they're definitely correct.

My only guess at this is that I've switched to a new Google account recently and did a factory reset afterwards, using the new account as a primary account instead of my old one (which has the Poweramp license). Poweramp initially complained about not being licensed, but I uninstalled it, switched the Play Store to my old account and reinstalled and now the app doesn't say anything. Could it still be confused about licenses?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just did a factory reset and reinstalled everything and Poweramp still isn't reading my files. There's no license problem or anything else that I can see.

This is on stock JB 4.3 with faux kernel and stock bootloader.

Where are your files stored, and have you told PowerAmp to look there?

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

I searched all over the net not finding any solution, I just send a bug report about the issue but I guess they have tons of reports for this bug. What botters me is the fact that I payed for the app and used for a coouple of days before it crashes.

As some of you goys I did try everithing from the "known" solutions provided by Poweramp to do a factory reset.... wasted my time cause none of that solved the problem!

Hope we get a solution ASAP!

I submitted a bug report too (probably a week ago by now) and didn't even receive a simple automatic confirmation email. Not a word.

I know Poweramp isn't very expensive, so I'm not asking for instantaneous tech support, but it's still rather frustrating that we can't even tell whether they give a shit about the issue or not.

I submitted a bug report too (probably a week ago by now) and didn't even receive a simple automatic confirmation email. Not a word.

I know Poweramp isn't very expensive, so I'm not asking for instantaneous tech support, but it's still rather frustrating that we can't even tell whether they give a shit about the issue or not.

Danm it! my first mail was answered in lest than an hour ... but only to say those 4 or 5 posible causes... after that I got not a sigle word!

It doesnt matter if it cost 1 single buck or a couple of 100s they are not given us that for free!

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like it is CM 10.2 issue not Poweramp, you should write to CM dev so he could take look at this issue and try to fix it.

I am still waiting for a solution since I really like the player (that is also why I bought the pro version). Now, how is the issue a CM 10.2 issue if problems are reported since 2011 with the same error "too many failed files playing will stop now"? When can we expect a proper fix?

I am still waiting for a solution since I really like the player (that is also why I bought the pro version). Now, how is the issue a CM 10.2 issue if problems are reported since 2011 with the same error "too many failed files playing will stop now"? When can we expect a proper fix?

Now consider that I am not on CM at all and still am getting the issue. I'm on stock (rooted) Android with the faux kernel, that's it.

The app is great but the support is really terrible, it seems.

• 2 weeks later...

it is a kernel related issue: i used pa 3.99 (android 4.3) on my lg p880 for over a month and used Poweramp everyday for several hours.

then i decided to flash a new kernel yesterday and today when i wanted to listen to music, i got the same issue as you guys. i switched back

to the kernel i used before and now everything works again

I know some kernels/ROMs had issues with accessing larger SD cards (greater than 32 GB), I wonder if that might be a common factor?

If people have this problem, does it also happen if you put your music files (or a selection of them) on the phone's internal memory?

Andre

At this point my guess is that kernels which modify the audio drivers (which is a lot of them) somehow are causing Poweramp to blow up.

Could be, but certainly not a problem with all kernels. I use Googy-Max kernel on my Samsung S3, and that gives me Wolfson or ScoobyDoo sound engines, dual ROM sand a ton of other extra stuff, and Poweramp works fine on it.

Andre

Gotta wonder what the hell Poweramp's using that could cause a conflict with kernels, of all things. What's the kernel you tried, if I may ask? I'd like to determine which feature is causing this.

i used the OptimusPrime Kernel on which everything was working and on which i am back right now

and i tried the OptimusPlay Kernel on which i could not play songs in Poweramp only

both kernels are from the same dev

• 6 months later...

"Too many files failed" message is shown when more than 5-10 files in a row can't be played. This can happen because:

- no such files actually exist on sd card (files or folder were moved somewhere else, deleted outside of Poweramp, etc.). Folders Rescan will fix that

- sd card is unmounted (e.g. phone is connected as usb storage)

- given files are not in Poweramp supported format

- files can't be read (sd card is broken, files were not downloaded completely, etc.)

APRIIL  30 2014 

I am really annoyed with "Too many failed files, Playing will stop now"  error message and , considering the possibility to download another player.  
There is nothing wrong with my sd card ,  all folders (media>audio>mp3 folders)  can be read ,  the files are mp3 files that used to play normally in the last week.   Problem started a couple of days ago.    I remember I had the same problem in playing unsupported wma files but they were replaced by mp3.

So what is wrong and is there a way to correct it ?  Thank you for your help.

version 1.0 build-230 full version

android  2.3.6

motorola xt 386

• 1 month later...

"Too many failed files, playing will stop now"

same issue here after...no update no system change no nothing...

just renaming some folders & YES i tried FULL SCAN & re-scan 10times...

the only thing that i can think of...was after i tried to EXCLUDE a folder from my list(i mean to tick off a folder in from the folders and library)maybe its trying to paly them STILL(thats lame and impossible cus its not ticked in the list)

...the error was there but not THIS many times...now its 3/4 tracks in between each 5 tracks...

...& ive checked my SD card in other phone/PC its ok all are in /.MP3 format and they are not corrupt...

so let me know what to check on and what to do to fix this...

i really do love Poweramp...fast and sleek and i want it to become immortal on Andriod & WinAMP is a first and final winner in PC.

it costed me(3$ on the google market) al tough i live in a very poor country and each dollar is trippled the price...yet i was GLAD to pay it off for a smooth player that filled my day & nights with easy & fast music...

EDIT:

this issue ONLY accrues when SHUFFLE is ON! (i need shuffle!)

my SPhone: Sony Xperia Z

Android:  4.3

Poweramp: 2.0.9-build-558-play (Full Version)

Archived