EQ/Audio Output Issue w/ Low End

Disturbd1

• Build 957
  • Device model: Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
  • Android v13

My USB DAC is a very capable one, from what I understand. I believe it is also capable of serving to provide a bit of amplification as well. That said, I'm noticing a recent deterioration in low-end frequencies when I use it in PA. For context, I'm using the DAC to power the JVC HA-SZ2000 headphone. If you know anything about these, you know they're renown for bass reproduction without breaking a sweat and without any artificial assistance. They're simply highly-capable drivers. For the life  of me, I cannot figure out why the low-end has drastically deteriorated. I don't pretend to understand all of the settings in the PA audio and EQ arenas, but I've historically cranked the low-end and ensured hi-res output was used where feasible without issues here. When I'm not using the DAC (say, connecting BT headphones) I can sense a tangible change in the low-end as I increase/decrease the Bass knob or the EQ levels.

The DAC is fairly new, having had it for less than 6 months at this point, so I do not believe there is an issue there. It certainly wouldn't surprise me to learn OneUI or Samsung in general are playing a role here, but if there is something I'm missing or not considering I'd like to find out. It's killing me having a fraction of the low end come through on these headphones that I know they're capable of (including with this DAC).

Steps to reproduce:

1. Fire up the app, press Play
  2. App auto-recognizes the output device used in this case (AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt)

Screenshot_20230518_101625_Poweramp.jpg

I don't know your EQ adjustments, but you've got a positive pre-amp gain.

Don't know what other issues related to DVC or USB-DACs could be at play, but I'd start with fixing the pre-amp gain. (Cut with pre-amp gain by any dB amount you raised a frequency band)

9 minutes ago, Fitzian said:

I don't know your EQ adjustments, but you've got a positive pre-amp gain.

Don't know what other issues related to DVC or USB-DACs could be at play, but I'd start with fixing the pre-amp gain. (Cut with pre-amp gain by any dB amount you raised a frequency band)

I should have clarified the pre-amp gain was only applied shortly before that screen grab. It's generally not something I use, and was just playing around with different things to try and mitigate.

No, as the issue is isolated to this output. Similar EQ settings and identical output settings are used for other connected devices and there is not an issue. If it is not likely that PA has anything to do with what I'm experiencing, I can accept that. But it isn't really plausible that resetting everything and the applying it all again manually would make a difference.

1 hour ago, Disturbd1 said:

No, as the issue is isolated to this output. Similar EQ settings and identical output settings are used for other connected devices and there is not an issue. If it is not likely that PA has anything to do with what I'm experiencing, I can accept that. But it isn't really plausible that resetting everything and the applying it all again manually would make a difference.

I'm just trying to help isolate the issue. You'd get the same advice from the dev or moderator before they get too in depth bug hunting.

On 5/18/2023 at 2:31 PM, Fitzian said:

I'm just trying to help isolate the issue. You'd get the same advice from the dev or moderator before they get too in depth bug hunting.

Tried resetting audio output and EQ settings, no difference. There is something fundamentally suppressing the low end. Since this device doesn't support the standard headphone jack, I have no way to eliminate the Dragonfly, but it would be exceptionally odd that a DAC would be a step backward in output capability.