Resume after car shutoff does not resume playlist

I have several playlists. I usually start one and listen to it on random to completion over many vehicle trips. However, when playback is stopped by shutting off the vehicle it appears to "lose" the playlist. The playback starts with the song that was playing at shutoff, but the next song is just the next song in the entire library, played in alphabetic order. 

I would assume there's a setting for this somewhere but I'm not sure where it is. Thanks in advance for your help

Are you running Poweramp directly on Android head-unit in the car, or playing from a phone to the car via Bluetooth or Android Auto for example?

Normally, when Poweramp stops playing it saves its playback current state - position, repeat/shuffle modes, Category, etc. However if you power down a device during playback PA does need to be sent a shutdown intent from Android and be given time to save its status; if you just effectively remove the power that process may not be triggered and the only bit of saved information will be the audio file that was last loaded (which is retained from when playback commences). This is especially prevalent with some of the imported "no name" Chinese head-units. 

Andre

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

Are you running Poweramp directly on Android head-unit in the car, or playing from a phone to the car via Bluetooth or Android Auto for example?

Normally, when Poweramp stops playing it saves its playback current state - position, repeat/shuffle modes, Category, etc. However if you power down a device during playback PA does need to be sent a shutdown intent from Android and be given time to save its status; if you just effectively remove the power that process may not be triggered and the only bit of saved information will be the audio file that was last loaded (which is retained from when playback commences). This is especially prevalent with some of the imported "no name" Chinese head-units. 

Andre

Hello Andre,

I am running it from the phone via bluetooth to the head unit.

In which case the PA setup on the phone shouldn't be affected by the car's shutdown, it should merely enter a Pause state as it does whenever any other BT device disconnects.

What happens on the phone at that point if you then press the Play button? Does it continue with the shuffled playlist as expected?

And when you do reconnect to the Bluetooth later, what happens if you start playback from the phone screen at that point, rather than the car controls?

You can see what (if any) commands the Bluetooth headunit has issued by looking at PA Settings=>Headset/Bluetooth=>Last Processed Commands.

Andre

There seems to be a time based aspect.  If I shut the car off, and have the app on the "now playing" screen.  When I in a short period of time restart the car, it does not auto play.  When I press play on the phone, it appears to continue with the playlist (using the skip ahead button confirms this).  However, if the car is off for some time it again starts at the same song if i press play, but the skip button takes it to the next song in the library, not the playlist.  It is important to note that I don't ever start playback with the head unit,  sometimes it starts automatically, sometimes I start it from the amp.  Also, I have seen this behavior in 3 different vehicles.

I see in some of the posts there is somewhere a graphic that shows "x of y" songs.  This would help me troubleshoot when it jumps out of the playlist, but I am not sure where that view is.

Looking at "last processed commands"  - it is empty.  Does this clear when the app is closed?

Thanks,  Rich

The Track Counter can be enabled using Settings=>Look and Feel=> Player UI=>Show Track Counter. I actually thought that was shown by default now, as hiding it just leaves an unused empty gap in the middle of a 4/5 item row of controls, which seems to serve no purpose.

The 'Last Processed Commands' log should remain in Poweramp as you as long as you exit the app normally (e.g. Home or Back buttons) but it will be cleared if you force-close the app by swiping it away from your Recent Apps list.

Andre

I did some more troubleshooting today.  When the car resumes the playlist, it correctly shows the counter - e.g. Song 4 of 1666.  But, at the end of that resumed song, the counter changes to the whole library - e.g. Song 278 of 2800.  Attached is a screenshot of last processed commands.

Screenshot_20230510_162052_Poweramp.jpg

The command log just shows the connections, and presses of the PLAY and PAUSE buttons (which could be your presses, or generated automatically by a resume-playing-on-connection feature).

When it first starts playing at song 4/1666, what do the Shuffle or Repeat icons on the Player Screen show? Does that change later? Also, if you tap several times on the metadata line at the bottom of the Player Screen you can see what playback category is currently active, and the next planned track, etc. which might give some clues.

Andre