Poweramp and the latest Android Auto

Wolksby

After a lot of trial and error, and experimenting, I now think I have got the appearance of Poweramp how I want it on my phone.

In doing this, I had cause to question whether I had tweaked something which then changed Poweramp's erstwhile appearance in my car, using wireless Android Auto!

However, I was soon pleased to know that any changes were down the the app itself, and the way Google chooses to present it. It's not a major issue, even if personally I preferred the status quo.

But a few additional things have changed, and I'd appreciate any advice as follows: it concerns the way lists are now presented and the general Library layouts.. I have taken a couple of pictures of my car screen to show this.

The previous later was much neater, so I'm wondering: a) if this is how it is now, b) it can be customised, and, if so, c) where the adjustments need to be made, via Android Auto, or Poweramp?

I think, for example, previously in the car, I could display lists, two items at a time, rather three, as shown below:

Any ideas gratefully received! Many thanks!

20230428_170920.jpg

As you say, Poweramp has absolutely no control over how Android Auto displays its in-car content, that layout is created as per Google's programming wishes. PA just provides AA with the "building blocks" - what type of button to show, cover artwork, category contents, etc - and AA works out how to show it.

Looks to me like you've had the update to Android Auto's most recent look, which is known as Coolwalk. The main new feature is the multi-panel view, is that what you are referring to?

How it arranges the panels is generally based on the ratio of your display and your device's declared dpi; for example my slightly squarer unit shows the toolbar at the bottom. Other than faking the dpi via software, that's just how it displays.

image.png

You can switch any individual panel back to full screen (as above) by tapping on it or using the icons in the toolbar. There are also a few options you can tweak via Settings on the AA screen, or using the AA app on your phone.

The look can also be slightly customised in PA's Settings=>Misc, such as whether to use Grid or List view, and whether or not to send artwork for Categories / Tracks. Personally I find List view more useful, but whichever you choose the content is generally shown rather too large for my liking and you have to do a lot of scrolling.

image.png

Andre

Hi Andre,

Many thanks as ever!

Screenshot_20230429_133343_Poweramp.thumb.jpg.309f79598f10767a8197f7f72375b408.jpg

I returned to the Android Ato options in Poweramp, and unchecked the Grid option.

This put the library contents screens back how they are on my phone, which is fine - excuse the RH side panel being open - but then the contents display in a two-column grid, which I'd prefer from the title lists, which take longer to scroll through, among other things.

Any further thoughts

Best wishes, Philip

As I said, what you do in Poweramp doesn't affect the AA head-unit display - other than the specific AA options page, as described above. Category list sort orders are the same as what you've chosen in Poweramp though.

If you want a List View in Poweramp itself, or a different size Grid View, simply select the appropriate one from the List Options for each Category - or use a pinch/zoom gesture on each screen to switch between modes.

Andre

Hi Andre,

Just to thank you, in particular, for the information in your closing paragraph.

I found this very helpful in aiming to achieve the best look for Poweramp on my phone, and in my car.

Best wishes,

PHilip