A handful of albums always get their genres removed when I import them.

hellajoey
Go to solution Solved by hellajoey,

I'm using Poweramp 957 and I have a Pixel 6 Pro (Android 13). I overwrite all the genres on my song files using the Apple Music app to keep them consistent. About once a month I re-import a subset of my song library from my Mac to my phone. There are about 1,500 songs on my phone and 7 of the albums have ended up with their genres removed (listed as "Unknown genre" on the Genres screen) although most of the songs of each genre end up correct.

When I imported songs for the very first time 3 albums had all songs with no genre. Later, I added some new folders and all the songs in one of the folders ended up with no genre although I added a few more songs later to that folder and they all have the correct genre. So far these are the only two times any new songs were added that had their genres removed but even when I re-import them exactly these same albums again have no genre.

I tried going into Poweramp and correcting one of the songs to have the correct genre but then when I re-imported it, it again had the genre removed.

It's always a whole album - meaning there aren't any albums that have some genres right, some genres missing.

This is pretty strange, right? I can't find any correlation among the albums that have no genre except that most of them were first introduced in that one folder I mentioned above. Any idea what could be causing this?

7 hours ago, hellajoey said:

This is pretty strange, right? I can't find any correlation among the albums that have no genre except that most of them were first introduced in that one folder I mentioned above. Any idea what could be causing this?

Use a tagging program and check to see if those files have multiple  tag formats saved. They could have a combination id3v1, id3v2.x, and APE tags.

• Solution

I'm going to call this solved.

I did pull up the songs in a tagging app. I wasn't able to tell that they were tagged with multiple formats but I did see that some of them had no genre listed, even though there is one listed in my Apple Music app (where I over-wrote the genres). So maybe that's more of an Apple Music app problem 😕 

The ones I got in the second batch did have genre listed but I was finally able to piece together what they all had in common: I had downloaded them from Bandcamp. They're not the only songs I've downloaded from Bandcamp but they are suspiciously all from there. So I resaved the genres to all the songs in the tagging app and now they all appear as usual in Poweramp.

Thanks for again talking me though this!

8 hours ago, hellajoey said:

So maybe that's more of an Apple Music app problem

Could well be. After all, it wouldn't be the first time Apple decided to do something non-standard just because it can... :)

Could you perhaps upload a sample of one of the Bandcamp files which had no initial genre but after you had tried to add a Genre description in Apple Music? In case anyone else has the same problem further down the line it might be possible for Max to code a workaround for whatever Apple is doing.

Glad using a standard tagging program has resolved your issue anyway.

Andre