Equaliser not working for Poweramp only

For some reason equaliser is not being used only when playing Poweramp (not showing as active player) . All other players seem to work fine. Not sure when it stopped working exactly but it worked fine maybe a week ago. Everything is enabled and Poweramp is showing as known player but still nothing. I've restarted the phone uninstalled and reinstalled both apps (latest versions too on samsun galaxy 23). Any ideas or suggestions what to try 

Edited by RaulBG
Added info

54 minutes ago, RaulBG said:

For some reason equaliser is not being used only when playing Poweramp (not showing as active player) . All other players seem to work fine. Not sure when it stopped working exactly but it worked fine maybe a week ago. Everything is enabled and Poweramp is showing as known player but still nothing. I've restarted the phone uninstalled and reinstalled both apps (latest versions too on samsun galaxy 23). Any ideas or suggestions what to try 

Why not use the EQ built into the Poweramp player app?

Yes, did and redid all the settings but for some reason it not detecting Poweramp playing. Just says no active players in PE notification

1 minute ago, MotleyG said:

Why not use the EQ built into the Poweramp player app?

Find PE one more comprehensive plus it worked fine till recently 

17 minutes ago, RaulBG said:

Find PE one more comprehensive plus it worked fine till recently 

The only "feature" the native EQ doesn't have that is in PAEQ is the compressor. But that is offset by the benefits of the Hi-res capabilities of using the EQ built into the player. What else do you find is "more comprehensive"?

To your question about why the EQ app isn't recognizing PA as a player, if you have turned off DVC and enabled MusicFX in the main app, there is no other reason that the EQ isn't seeing it. Are there any OS music effects on your device turned on that can be affecting this? And of course the standard option to check by rebooting your device may apply as well.

No other sound effects in play and I've restarted too. That's why it is puzzling me why it stopped recognising and only for Poweramp. And yes I probably will end up using Poweramp's built-in EQ and get over my conviction that PE is more comprehensive 👆👍

Edited by RaulBG

• 3 weeks later...

I've been dealing with this exact issue for 2 weeks now since I bought PA EQ. Other players YouTube, chrome, Google all show up in the known players list and work fine. I bought it not for the EQ, but for the compressor.  I've read up on multiple "fixes" and none have worked.  Shouldn't it be easier for PA player to work with PA EQ?

To expose Poweramp's audio output for external modification, enable the MusicFX option in PA Settings=>Audio=>Advanced Tweaks, and then tap to activate that mode in the second tab of the music player's EQ screen. You should then see Poweramp in the PA-Eq 'Known Players'menu.

It won't work if are using using High-Res ourout in Poweramp though, the stand-alone EQ app does not support that, only regular Android audio modes.

Andre

@BrucwW Great, glad it's working for you now. I'm not quite sure why there is even a separate show/hide setting for seeing the MusicFX control in the EQ tab at all, I think it may be something historical in the app design? Personally I'd have thought the control itself should always be visible in the EQ tab, and then users can turn it on or off at will. @maxmp would this be a good idea to make the interface simpler?

Andre

• 2 months later...
On 4/13/2023 at 2:29 AM, andrewilley said:

To expose Poweramp's audio output for external modification, enable the MusicFX option in PA Settings=>Audio=>Advanced Tweaks, and then tap to activate that mode in the second tab of the music player's EQ screen. You should then see Poweramp in the PA-Eq 'Known Players'menu.

It won't work if are using using High-Res ourout in Poweramp though, the stand-alone EQ app does not support that, only regular Android audio modes.

Andre

Good god they buried that well. Thank you Andre! I'm now working as well.

• 4 months later...

@PagistaMalista Normally, if Poweramp is your preferred Music Player, you would not really want a separate equalizer app to process its output, as that would just duplicate the EQ controls already present within Poweramp itself and create a very confused sound. Also if you enable DVC it could clash, and any high-res outputs won't be processed in the stand-alone EQ either.

However it is possible to enable it if you want. You just need to enable the 'MusicFx' option in PA, which is basically a flag to expose Poweramp's output for any external adjustments - e.g. manufacturer-supplied Dolby Atmos, equalizer apps, etc.

@maxmp I tend to agree that it does seem a bit counter-intuitive to have the MusicFX control in two places though (first show/hide the button in the Volume panel, and then separately enable or disable the setting using the button that you can now see). Perhaps it would make more sense to remove the Settings=>Audio=>Advanced Tweaks=>MusicFX switch completely, and have the on/off button permanently available in the EQ/Volume page? Would help to reduce the confusion experienced by some users, as it is a pretty well hidden setting.

Andre

It's very simple once the process is clearly described. The ideal setup flow would be:

Install Poweramp EQ app.

- Press a ez setup button. This lets the EQ app detect if the Powerapp player is installed and allows both apps to communicate about the presets and settings:

- If Poweramp player is installed, ask if the user wants to mirror the settings but keep Poweramp player's eq enabled. Which allows hires to be used. This way the user uses two eqs (one going through poweramps stack and bypassing the external app) but the settings sync back and forth since both apps eq are internally mostly the same. 

- Or disable the Poweramp player (internal) eq and auto-enable the necessary settings to run Poweramp through Poweramp eq app as a music FX app. (Sets both musicfx buttons/settings to correct value). 

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, takayo said:

The Poweramp equalizer has autoeq for different headphones equalizer presets

The AutoEQ database is updated for both apps from the same master index, sourced from the AutoEQ website, so as long as you keep them up to date they should have roughly the same set of presets available.

Obviously one app or the other may be slightly more up to date depending on when the most recent app build was released. Poweramp build 981 was released on 25 Dec, whereas PA-EQ build 982 was released on 3 Jan so could have a few more very recent presets included. The next PA build will probably reverse that situation.

Andre