Alert when Limiter level is reached

code

14 hours ago, maxmp said:

without going over digital 0dB and overloading (or hitting limiter).

Hello,

once I wrote in this forum asking if it could be possible to show some kind of alert when the above condition happens (my mind goes to the old fashioned VU meters),

since everything in Poweramp is designed to provide the best music experience it would be great to know when the user push the settings too far ...

Ciao!

Stefano

21 minutes ago, maxmp said:

@code thanks for the request. It's actually obviously noticeable if you disable Limiter - you can hear overloading.

@maxmp Agreed, the audible component is usually noticeable, especially when listening on headphones. I guess the question is, can some display be added to indicate if the signal is clipping? Maybe a red dot on one corner of the album cover art, or even just the word "clipping" flash up somewhere on the Now Playing screen? This would actually be quite helpful to identify this state visually for users. You could make this more advanced if the limiter is enabled as well, and have the indicator flash in green or indicate "limiter" on the display instead.

This would certainly assist in troubleshooting for those situations where we have seen concerns about unexpected volume level changes.

36 minutes ago, maxmp said:

@code thanks for the request. It's actually obviously noticeable if you disable Limiter - you can hear overloading.

yes, I agree with you, but this feasible only if you have few songs, things became complex with a large collection of albums. I keep Limiter always on, and have some EQ presets for my headphones, whose could be good for many tracks, while could cause potential distortion on others, I will never know, since I cannot turn Limiter off/on on every single song(!) 

4 minutes ago, code said:

yes, I agree with you, but this feasible only if you have few songs, things became complex with a large collection of albums. I keep Limiter always on, and have some EQ presets for my headphones, whose could be good for many tracks, while could cause potential distortion on others, I will never know, since I cannot turn Limiter off/on on every single song(!) 

@code Do you use Replaygain for track and/or album settings? If you have added these values to your song files and turn this on, you shouldn't have issues with the limiter unless you overdrive all tracks. But then you can adjust the EQ or preamp at that point to correct this.

9 minutes ago, code said:

no, I don't use RG

I would look into this. You can use foobar2000 or dBpoweramp to quickly analyze each file and add these tags. You can turn RG on and off, and they do not affect the original audio if you choose not to.