Have Android Auto display Visualization?

The screen elements go via the USB cable I think, but even if it were technically possible I very much doubt Google would allow Android Auto to do it. The point of the driving interface is to be clean and less distracting than a normal Android screen. You'll be wanting to watch videos while you're driving next. :)

Andre

Aw, that's too bad. Here's a video of someone hooking up YouTube to Android Auto: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a4SdgbTOYo

You have to understand car culture. People love to add lights to their cars, etc. If you added this, I guarantee you it would make the news or be shown in a car ad.

Plus... people with cars usually have money they like to throw at stuff that makes their car cool.

14 minutes ago, Darrell Bircsak said:

You have to understand car culture. People love to add lights to their cars, etc. If you added this, I guarantee you it would make the news or be shown in a car ad.

Plus... people with cars usually have money they like to throw at stuff that makes their car cool.

What does this have to do with Android Auto, and an app like Poweramp that is already integrated into AA? Google has intentionally made AA relatively vanilla and simple to use so it can be safely used while driving. No car company will advertise a non-Play app and especially not one that bypasses Google's safe design practice.

2 hours ago, Darrell Bircsak said:

I'm not saying be non-Play, nor go against safety laws. 

Unfortunately, that's exactly what you are asking.

The folks over at XDA-Developers have indeed worked out a way to hack past Android Auto to install non-approved apps, which is called Android Auto Apps Downloader and it can be installed from the XDA site and possibly from other locations too. It is not available from the Play Store for the obvious reason that Google would never allow it. If Poweramp tried to offer the same functionality (which it couldn't anyway, as the AA music player panel is generated by AA, not by Poweramp) then it too would not be allowed on the Play Store.

While it's not illegal to have an in-car screen that is capable of displaying video content, in many countries (e.g. the UK and Europe) it would be illegal - not to mention stupid - to use such a facility within eyesight range of the driver, unless the vehicle was fully parked.

You might be able to use the AAAD app to install the full Poweramp app so you can see the main PA phone interface on your car headunit (along with any Viz displays) but that would be beyond the scope of any support we could offer here, and it's not something we could even recommend trying.

Andre

• 10 months later...

Yes, I understand. I was just saying: this other app has flashy graphics. Maybe they are changing the "rules" for having flashy graphics? If they haven't changed it yet, then I understand why your hands are bound.

Re-reading Google AA guidelines, it looks like they did not update/change the "no animated elements" requirement.

Just because Mercedes wants to put flashy graphics on its car dashboards does not meant Google wants to do the same with Android Auto.

Personally I think it's not a good idea anyway, it's a bit of a Catch-22. If the visuals are intended to be watched, that is a serious distraction to the driver. But if it's not intended to be watched, then why bother putting them there in the first place?

Andre