Display scrolling lyrics on main player screen rather than loading a separate page

I'd like to suggest an option for the lyrics.
It would be nice to have 3 - 4 lines of synced lyrics over the main player area ( in the cover artwork area into a transparent window that maybe could be moved freely to the desired position ). That way displays the lyrics the musixmatch app in the floating lyrics mode but is somehow hit and miss when it has to collaborate with Poweramp.

Alternative if that isn't possible could we have the lyrics scroll over the cover art area ?

P_20230208_003903.jpg

Screenshot_20230208-003717.png

2 hours ago, mpampis goles said:

Alternative if that isn't possible could we have the lyrics scroll over the cover art area ?

That was something that was discussed in several of the lyric request threads in the past, and personally I think it's a great idea even if it didn't make the first version of synced lyrics.

Such text would need to be quite bold, and with an outline to make it visible in all cases, probably only showing a few lines at a time (with the current swipe-up option still available to see the whole text and allow manual scrolling). All the code for the scroll and zoom effects could be exactly the same as the full-screen version, just constrained to the cover art area:

image.png

Andre

7 hours ago, mpampis goles said:

I'd like to suggest an option for the lyrics.
It would be nice to have 3 - 4 lines of synced lyrics over the main player area ( in the cover artwork area into a transparent window that maybe could be moved freely to the desired position ). That way displays the lyrics the musixmatch app in the floating lyrics mode but is somehow hit and miss when it has to collaborate with Poweramp.

P_20230208_003903.jpg

Screenshot_20230208-003717.png

I also agree with you ,,, may be one or two lines only , 

• 2 weeks later...

This could be an option for phones with sufficiently high dpi/large screens as it is all but impossible on smaller devices without encroaching the album cover or it could be done with really small text like Salt player does.

Salt player:

Screenshot_20230227_072326.thumb.jpg.6e34c1e7723594d3fa20b4d8931868fd.jpg

Free space in high dpi screens in Poweramp: (The red outline could accommodate lyrics while other elements; controls and waveform can be pushed towards the blue region)IMG_20230227_091034.thumb.jpg.1e1502a259d88662e47dc9c5c35b200e.jpg)

Edited by elucid8

In order to be in any way useful, I think synced lyrics would need to be displayed as somewhat larger text superimposed over the cover artwork area. As you say, smaller screen devices just wouldn't have the vertical space for a readable dedicated block, and currently any layout needs to be able to support all sizes of device with a single design concept.

Of course skins could probably then manipulate the layout to your own preference, dedicated to your own particular screen layout. Maybe that could be provided as an option too, so for lyrics on the player screen you'd be able to choose "None | Superimposed Over Cover Artwork | As A Separate Text Block", and the user can experiment with what works for them on their own device?

Would people expect to be able to manually scroll lyrics that are shown on the player screen by the way, or just support the synced position? And if so, how would that work without clashing with the existing gesture-based controls? I rather assumed that any static text (unsynced lyrics) would be much better displayed in the full-screen list where you can see more of it at the same time.

Andre

@elucid8 current line of lyrics is possible somewhere over album art (though there was a fighting against Poweramp placing any controls over cover and it was won with the new layout options), the areas your indicated are not available on the shorter Android phones. Screen aspect ratios diversity is very high across Android capable devices.

1 hour ago, maxmp said:

current line of lyrics is possible somewhere over album art (though there was a fighting against Poweramp placing any controls over cover and it was won with the new layout options)

Clearly it would have to be an option however it was decided to enable it.

But superimposing lyrics over the cover art area (or even optionally completely replacing the cover art, especially if unsynced lyrics were to be supported too) would seem to be the only reasonable way that would work for all screen layouts. Would definitely need a fairly bold font with outline/shadow effects though (something like my mock-up from a few posts ago).

Andre