using Equalizer with Player, Hi-Res output becomes downsampled

swinokur

Hi there,

Long time Player user here, recent Equalizer user.

I'm using the Equalizer to do convolutions for my IEMs, which is super duper cool.

I was just experimenting with Player, and noticed that when Equalizer is active, the eventual audio output in player ends up back in "standard definition"

I've attached screenshot's of Player's audio output chain, and hopefully that helps! 

(If I disable Player in Equalizer, Player goes back to hi-res audio - but as I mentioned I'd like to use Equalizer's ability to load a convolution system wide)

This is on a LG G7, Android 9.

Please let me know what other information I can provide or tests I can run.

thanks!

Screenshot_20230207-174646.png

Screenshot_20230207-174556.png

@swinokur this purely depends on device firmware and firmware settings. The effect Poweramp uses is capable of hi-res, but OEMs sometimes lock all effects to 48khz. Also some firmwares may incorrectly use hi-res with effect (e.g. Samsung Androids 9-10), and standard definition then recommended for PEQ. If player uses direct output (as Poweramp does for hi-res output), equalization won't usually work as well. 

Hey @maxmp thanks for the note.

I guess I'm still confused. 

If Poweramp Player can play Hi-Res output in 192/24 (which it can on my phone) *without* Poweramp Equalizer, why does putting Equalizer in the chain cause the downsample?

Or is that associated with Poweramp Player using MusicFX to add equalizer to the chain?

It'd be great if the combination of Poweramp Player + Equalizer could work together for full hi-res equalized output. (Or perhaps the existence of Equalizer on a phone unlocks the extra Equalizer features right inside Poweramp, such as parametric eq and loading convolutions, etc)

(Sorry if these are naive questions, I am not very knowledgeable about Android Audio)

thanks!

-S

16 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

If you are using Poweramp in high-res mode, please use the internal EQ features in the app.

Oh! (slaps forehead) - somehow I managed to miss the Poweramp Player "Equalizer Mode" setting, to put it into parametric mode, which lets me load my AutoEQ files just like Poweramp Equalizer.

I love that the software is so configurable -- just takes some digging to find all the settings! :-)

3 hours ago, swinokur said:

Oh! (slaps forehead) - somehow I managed to miss the Poweramp Player "Equalizer Mode" setting, to put it into parametric mode, which lets me load my AutoEQ files

@maxmp might it be a good idea to duplicate that Graphic/Parametric switch in the initial EQ page? I think there may be more users who never even find it in the Settings menus.

Andre