Option to long-press track skip for album skip?

I tried searching to see if this was even an option and I can't find one anywhere in the player or documentation, and nothing came up on the forum search.

But what I am looking to be able to do is whether I am in the player or clicking the track skip in the notification, to be able to optionally hold/long-press the track skip option to skip to the next album in the queue.

I need it as a long press option on track skip because I ride a motorcycle, and this is how I play music on it (motorcycle has audio system connected by Bluetooth but no buttons to control anything, all has to be done from phone, which I have mounted to the handlebars). I can't swipe my phone and click and bring up the player UI to skip a previously queued album (I need to pay attention to the road).

So, I set up a queue beforehand. Problem is, I have to keep tapping track skip to skip an album if I decide I'm not feeling it. Would be easier if I could long press track skip or have a separate button in the notification panel to just skip the entire album I am on to go to the next one.

Really, I need the option to do it from the notification so I don't need to unlock the phone while I am riding.

I'm using the Pro Buttons to skip one category/album forward or backward with a double click. The double click is working with some Fiio or Shanling DAP players.

I have also tried it e.g. with a longpress or double/triple clicks for some Bluetooth Inear headphones.

Edited by beat8000

3 hours ago, sardonicus87 said:

Really, I need the option to do it from the notification so I don't need to unlock the phone while I am riding.

Notifications generally don't support long-press functionality, that tiggers Android operations rather than passing control to the app in question.

You could perhaps set PA to be displayed on the in initial Lock Screen of your phone, which would give you access to the main set of five buttons (<<<|<<|>|>>|>>>) without needing to fully unlock the device.

Andre

4 hours ago, beat8000 said:

I'm using the Pro Buttons to skip one category/album forward or backward with a double click. The double click is working with some Fiio or Shanling DAP players.

I have also tried it e.g. with a longpress or double/triple clicks for some Bluetooth Inear headphones.

Double click would work too. I saw options for that, but I don't have Bluetooth button click options when riding, since it audio system is controlled by the phone. I need to be able to do it specifically from the phone, not an external device (as there is no external controller, the phone itself is the controller for the audio system).

56 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Notifications generally don't support long-press functionality, that tiggers Android operations rather than passing control to the app in question.

You could perhaps set PA to be displayed on the in initial Lock Screen of your phone, which would give you access to the main set of five buttons (<<<|<<|>|>>|>>>) without needing to fully unlock the device.

Andre

I don't want it on my lock screen.

Double click would work too. Just some way to skip to the next album in the queue from the notification, specifically from there, not from lock screen, because on trips, I also use my phone as a GPS (no voice), so it being on lock screen doesn't help at all if I am using GPS and the phone isn't locked.

I don't think Android pull-down Notifications offer double-tap detection (in the same way they don't offer long-press) but I could be mistaken on that, I've never seen it anyway. @maxmp would know for definite anyway.

Would some trickery with a widget and split-screen view to show the map app do what you need I wonder?

Andre

Thinking a bit outside the box now, you could use an app that lets you configure the Android navigation buttons which run across the bottom of the screen, and add '<<' and '>>' buttons to the bar. Then you wouldn't even need to open a Notification to change tracks - and it does accept double-taps for Next and Previous Category changes because the action is sent to Poweramp as a MEDIA_BUTTON KEYCODE event (just as if it was from a headset button).

image.png

(I used NavStar to do the above, which is part of Samsung's 'Good Lock' suite of downloadable device management apps, but there are probably other apps out there that can do the same thing)

Andre

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Thinking a bit outside the box now, you could use an app that lets you configure the Android navigation buttons which run across the bottom of the screen, and add '<<' and '>>' buttons to the bar. Then you wouldn't even need to open a Notification to change tracks - and it does accept double-taps for Next and Previous Category changes because the action is sent to Poweramp as a MEDIA_BUTTON KEYCODE event (just as if it was from a headset button).

image.png

(I used NavStar to do the above, which is part of Samsung's 'Good Lock' suite of downloadable device management apps, but there are probably other apps out there that can do the same thing)

Andre

Is there such an app that will work on a Verizon variant (AKA locked, can't root) Pixel 5 with Android 11? That could work if I am using Google Maps, but won't help if my phone is not unlocked though.

5 hours ago, sardonicus87 said:

won't help if my phone is not unlocked though.

You specifically said earlier that you needed it to work when your phone was unlocked and running Google maps, which is why I suggested the solution above. If your phone is locked (which would usually mean you can't use Notifications either) then you could use the PA Lock Screen option that I mentioned earlier. You could also see if you can use an app like Lockscreen Widgets to put a regular smaller PA widget onto your LockScreen, if that works on your device (I've never tried it). That actually used to be standard Android functionality until Google removed it in version 5.0.

Andre

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

You specifically said earlier that you needed it to work when your phone was unlocked and running Google maps, which is why I suggested the solution above. If your phone is locked (which would usually mean you can't use Notifications either) then you could use the PA Lock Screen option that I mentioned earlier. You could also see if you can use an app like Lockscreen Widgets to put a regular smaller PA widget onto your LockScreen, if that works on your device (I've never tried it). That actually used to be standard Android functionality until Google removed it in version 5.0.

Andre

I need it to work both ways. And with the screen locked, I can hit the power button to bring the screen on and the notification is there, and I definitely CAN use the notification with the screen locked (notifications persist on lock screen, have the buttons on notification).

Also, I really do not want the full player on lock screen, for many reasons.

Notification with buttons on lock screen:

Screenshot_20230124-041221.thumb.png.634e05ae8c2f790ea1f84ceb07f05eea.png

Ah, yes, that is an option in Android. I think it's normally turned off by default for privacy reasons. Sorry, I'd forgotten it could be done.

I think the same rules for long-press and double-tap apply for Notifications presented there too, but we'd need to get @maxmp's, input on that as I don't know for sure how those Android systems work.

Andre

I asked for something similiar here 

I know it's possible to have more than 4 buttons in notification bar. 

For example, Musicolet audio player have, believe it or not, 7 buttons in notification bar, and also MX player have option for expanded notification which then shows another two buttons.

3 hours ago, Mark89 said:

I asked for something similiar here 

I know it's possible to have more than 4 buttons in notification bar. 

For example, Musicolet audio player have, believe it or not, 7 buttons in notification bar, and also MX player have option for expanded notification which then shows another two buttons.

Even this would be great, or if not this if they want a limit on the number of buttons, maybe a pick and choose which buttons you want.

I know, for example, that by default on Poweramp, there's no, I think it's previous track button in the notification, it's play/pause, next and the notification unloading X. You have to turn the option on to have the other button (and it warns you when you do that the notification unloading X moves down into the expanded notification). Something like that I do remember because I just set it up a month or so ago (Got the bike November 30, started messing with audio system in December and that's when I found that option).

Anyway, doesn't necessarily have to be like a long press or double click, could be a whole separate button. Just some way to skip albums from the notification.