Failed to play file

Go to solution Solved by andrewilley,

@andrewilley I would add that on Androids 12/13, legacy mode is rerouted by Android through Android SAF and media database. While it allows us to access Downloads folder directly, legacy mode do not "see" files not known to Android, such as CUEs, formats like Wavpack/dsf, etc. Also it's now slower. After 95x series released, I will try to request All Files Access permission from Google, but 90% they will deny it.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All, this is getting too painful to be true:

none of the above suggestions worked for me. Neither with or without legacy mode. Full rescan, permissions, Samsung special whatever. I tried it all and nothing works. The thing does not play files from  the SD card.   

I finally backed up all PA files, uninstalled, reinstalled the whole thing, assigned the folders to look for music and granted permission. It found all 5000+ music files. It said so during the scan. And  I can see them all even though without album art. Yet fails to play a single one of them from the SD card. None whatsoever. Also, I tried to restore any playlist , album art, nothing, nada, can not restore.. its a mess. A complete mess. Does not work. Will not work. Won't work. SUPER FRUSTRATING.

Can you help pls?

This maybe not your fault and an Android thing, its pretty sad though. PA is the best music player in the world for Android if it works. But if it does not....what is the point of it? 

Can you at least say whether you are planning to work on a fix? WHen that might be (apprecaite it might not be fully predictable)? Or is that it? Should I look for another player? 

@Emberton So after a new installation on your Samsung Android 13 device, the first complete scan detects all of the 5000+ audio files on your SD Card, but cannot open any of them to read tags or play music (so filenames only are displayed in the All Songs list, no albums, artists, cover art, etc). Legacy File Access Mode, or regular?

When you try to play any file and it fails, please then go to PA Settings=>Get Support=>Send Log and email the results to gpmaxmpz@gmail.com. Also send a DM to @maxmp letting him know the email address that you sent from, so he can watch out for it.

Might also be worth sending a log immediately after the first scan, or after a Full Rescan if the results are the same.

Andre

@maxmp @andrewilley - thanks for your response. I sent you the log and let you know via DM the email address.. I also copied the files to the internal  storage and no luck. now I have all files twice without info, album covers etc etc. And I seem to have lost all the content of all my playlists - 29 in total. So if you can help in any way would be good. 

51 minutes ago, Emberton said:

And I seem to have lost all the content of all my playlists - 29 in total. 

Playlists in Poweramp are nothing more than a series of links - or index pointers - directly to specific song files in your storage, which need to be listed in the music database. So if an exact file is not currently available in its assigned folder, that playlist entry will just show as a 'phantom' item with just the filename that it was originally looking for.

File-based playlists (M3U, etc) should be picked up again automatically once a Full Rescan eventually works.

For internal playlists (i.e. created using the '+Playlist' feature inside Poweramp) you can use the "Rescan / Resolve Playlists" menu option in Library=>Playlists to trawl through the database looking again for folder/filename matches, which will then be used to rebuild the playlist. But don't try editing or manipulating playlists that have any phantom entries in the meantime, wait until the music database is working.

Andre

Btw, recently I investigated similar issue with another user willing to help with the details and logs:

• Samsung Android 13
  • Music Folders dialog works fine and folders can be added in normal (non-legacy) mode
  • file tags are not scanned nor tracks are played (Too many files failed message).

Log has lines like this:

SAFUtils: openFDSAF ex=java.lang.SecurityException: com.android.externalstorage has no access to content://media/external_primary/audio/media/1000001150

This basically means that Android file access system component has no permission to access media files. If this is not the user's tweak of some sort (as you can't easily take permission away from the system component via standard means), then it's a firmware issue.

File Access Legacy Mode option in Poweramp may help here, but I'm not sure as I can't deny this permission for the system component on my phone or emulator to verify.

Also, this bug affects other apps with the "new" file access approach (the one required by Google now for all updates/new apps).

EDIT: The solution is

Under "Special access" settings in your phone look for "All files access" open it and then click the menu button and hit show system. Then find external storage and make sure it is enabled.

hello, i need help with this topic, too

i have uninstalled PA, reset my phone, reinstalled PA, granted permission to use both my SD card and my phone storage, scanned my library, full scanned my library, made sure my phone was on the most recent update, and it still won't read the files on either my card, which Gonemad does, or my system storage, which Gonemad does - when PA failed i grabbed GMMP and it works fine

multiple times after this i repeated these steps and reset each step to no avail

PA worked yesterday - i made no major changes and on 02-13-2023 it won't work any more - what am i missing?

@Papallion Sunspell What device are you using, and Android and Poweramp versions?

Does PA find the folders/files but not allow you to play them, and you just see filenames with their extenders in the library view rather than any Album/Artist/etc information? If so, and if you are using a recent Samsung device especially, please see my post in:

Andre

@maxmp  - Many thanks for finding that switch and posting. This did sort it for me! 🤩. After that I could even reload all album covers and the playlists. Just for your reference: it create 3, sometimes 4 versions of all playlists, so I had to delete those spare ones. And I found that titles and artists etc where displaying fine in the albums, but in the playlist, the player hardly recognised any of the covers nor track info. I have to manually click on each track, view the info/tags where all the info is there, click edit and then save before it displays the artists and track etc. Its peculiar as in the Album it is all ok, and the details are all there...Well  a small nuisance compared to not having any playable tacks / no playlists. Thanks again to you and@andrewilley for responding and sorting. Fabulous team and fabulous player! So happy to have it back and made a it a 5 star on google play!