Failed to play file

Go to solution Solved by andrewilley,

Poweramp failed to play any type audio of file. Poweramp Plays a audio file from file manager from a different folders. It won't playing a audio file from Poweramp library selected folders. After library folder changed it plays well from file manager. Audio Files in the changed folders not playing even from file manager which before played through file manager in Poweramp. Please solve this. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like your music library has not been properly scanned. Do you see full Title/Artist/Album info in Poweramp's Library categories, or just filenames?

Check your Music Folders are assigned correctly and access permissions granted, then try a FULL Rescan (all in PA Settings=>Library).

Andre

38 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Sounds like your music library has not been properly scanned. Do you see full Title/Artist/Album info in Poweramp's Library categories, or just filenames?

Check your Music Folders are assigned correctly and access permissions granted, then try a FULL Rescan (all in PA Settings=>Library).

Andre

Version Info ======================
Build: Poweramp build-945-bundle-play full verified
Store: Play
Unlocker: build-307
Arch: 64
Skin: ActivityTheme_Black
Device: samsung SM-E225F f22 f22 f22ins [arm64-v8a, armeabi-v7a, armeabi]
Installer: com.android.vending (33.9.15-21 [0] [PR] 498467920)
Android: 13 samsung/f22ins/f22:13/TP1A.220624.014/E225FXXU4CVK4:user/release-keys en_GBScreenshot_20230119_211545_Poweramp.thumb.jpg.32570df5eaf88eb7beb5e3a3b073e088.jpgScreenshot_20230119_211403_Poweramp.thumb.jpg.0e1a75c1dde764ff73eb083cd4bc163a.jpg120352555_Screenshot_20230119_211626_Permissioncontroller.thumb.jpg.8a5571a9ff90369e9957a60fe7343a47.jpg

Same issue here. I’m a long time user and had it installed on my new Samsung S8 tab. The tab is now upgraded to android 13 and Poweramp is starting but failed to play any files. I can also not play from the android file manager

After 4 tries from an album or folder I get the message: to many failed files. I have reloaded files, cleaned cache and data, did full rescan, still the same. The rest of the app seems to work fine. Installed other players and they work (Samsung music and music player). Latest app and unlocker installed. In the library I can see the song title and file extention, no other info. Covers are loaded.

How do I get the best player working again?

• Solution

@Tana Try a FULL Rescan in Settings=>Library. Also after changing Android versions, use Restore Defaults in Settings=>Audio=>Output (probably not related to this issue though).

If no better, I would suggest clearing all file access permissions (remove all folders expect a single empty location from the Settings=>Library=>Music Folders screen) and let it clear back to zero files/folder. Then grant access again to your specific music folder (not merely a root storage location) and let PA rescan. Do another Full Rescan if necessary. Make sure you can see all your songs with their metadata (Title, Artist, Album, etc) not just filenames. Note: doing this may clear any Ratings and Play Counts that you have generated, and can also mess with some Playlists, so do a backup of those first using Settings=>Export Settings/Data.

If there are still issues, try turning on Settings=>Misc=>File Access Legacy Mode and assign your music folder again. That may not be a long-term solution though as Google keeps trying to disable that style of access - but if it does still work, it's generally better and faster than their modern Storage Access Framework.

Andre

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm afraid it did not help. I also tried the Legacy mode, activated it, The app restarted and no change. It is probable an issue between Android 13 and PA. I hope somebody comes with a solution.

58 minutes ago, Tana said:

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm afraid it did not help. I also tried the Legacy mode, activated it, The app restarted and no change. It is probable an issue between Android 13 and PA. I hope somebody comes with a solution.

I hope Poweramp developers will give update for compatible with Android 13.

1 hour ago, Tana said:

15 minutes ago, Cold heart stranger said:

I hope Poweramp developers will give update for compatible with Android 13.

Running absolutely fine on Android 13 here (Galaxy Note 20).

It needed some more tweaking, thanks to andrewilly and Larry 609 in another topic. andre advised to try the legacy option, but I did not select the right directory under internal storage (with the legacy option on in internal storage). Make sure to de-select duplicates directories to avoid double files that still don't work.

For now solved. @dvhttp, did you need to do something like this?

21 hours ago, Tana said:

@dvhttp, did you need to do something like this?

No. I had turned legacy mode off many moons ago. I also change the ROM on my phone fairly often (and have just changed phones) and restore my apps, including PA, using Swift Backup. I have also, about 6 months ago, 'rationalised' all the folders on my phone that I download (and keep sync'd with) from my PC which means I have one folder at the top level of my SDCard (say called 'MyFiles') and things like mp3 files under that that PA reads and uses. I have done full rescans several times over that period so not sure exactly why mine worked and yours didn't, except that I have been following advice from here for a while.

Same issue. Since Thursday, it no longer plays some of the most recent files. Older ones seem fine. VLC player still plays all of them OK. I am on Android 13 but since November. So strange this happens. Got a full version. Updated the app to latest o  play store. Still the same issue. Have not dared full rescan as I don't understand what I loose ( my playlists?). And reading Bove, this seems not to work. Are you working on a patch?

I really live this app and would love it to work again.

@Emberton When you say PA "no longer plays some of the most recent files", did it play those files before the update? Or are you saying it's completely new files (ones that you've only just added) which won't play? How do these files appear in PA library lists, do you see album/artist/etc info, or just the filename only? If you long-press on the song in a list and select Info/Tags, what do you see - does the path to the file look similar to other files which do play?

A Full Rescan shouldn't lose existing internal playlists (they will just show as unlinked songs, so as filenames only) but you can always backup the current setup whenever you like using Settings=>Export Settings/Data, so if you are worried do that before you do a Full Rescan.

Andre

On 1/24/2023 at 3:47 PM, maxmp said:

@Emberton if player doesn’t play tracks but they are there, feel free to share couple of such tracks with me - directly from Poweramp, long press on track on a list - Share / Gmail / gpmaxmpz@gmail.com.

Followed as u said

But Unable to attch file 🙄 

Then what to do ? 🫥

12 hours ago, D.S said:

Whats the deal, I get the "Fail to Play" error?

It means that an audio file which is listed in Poweramp's music database is no longer present it its exact original location on your device's storage. That could be because it has been renamed, moved to a new folder, or the Android directory/folder naming structure has been changed since the file was first located. As Max has said, a Full Rescan (in Settings=>Library) should remove the old entries and find the files wherever they are now located.

Note: It would be a good idea to backup any playlists, ratings, etc first. The database entries for those will be linked to the original file locations, so they may need restoring again afterwards (Settings=>Export Settings/Data and Import Settings/Data)

Andre

On 1/23/2023 at 11:40 PM, andrewilley said:

@Emberton When you say PA "no longer plays some of the most recent files", did it play those files before the update? Or are you saying it's completely new files (ones that you've only just added) which won't play? How do these files appear in PA library lists, do you see album/artist/etc info, or just the filename only? If you long-press on the song in a list and select Info/Tags, what do you see - does the path to the file look similar to other files which do play?

A Full Rescan shouldn't lose existing internal playlists (they will just show as unlinked songs, so as filenames only) but you can always backup the current setup whenever you like using Settings=>Export Settings/Data, so if you are worried do that before you do a Full Rescan.

Andre

Thanks Andre for swift response. Looking at this closer, PA can not access any files on my SD card  - it was fine doing so until the 19th Jan when this thread started. I have done a Full Rescan. that did not fix the problem, only created a complete mess of album covers, artists etc. It now only recognises the album title and that is it. Dilligently flicking through the files until it thinks too many of them failed to continue. Before the rescan, those seemed "fine", but they are a mess now. I vaguely remember this happening before a few years, but can't remember the fix. I think it was an update / bug fix that did it in the end. What I do remember is that I was without the player for quite a while and about to give up on it and that it was a real nightmare to get  album covers etc back.

VLC seems to play them fine but PA is a much better player. Real shame as the app is brilliant otherwise. Any suggestions what to do? Complete re-install with backoup of playlists / ratings? Would be grateful for your advice. 

@Emberton app (Poweramp) won't remove permissions for itself, no logic like that or code exists. Permissions still can be and will be removed: recent Androids remove permissions for inactive apps (30+ days). This is controlled by the switch in app (i) settings - "Remove permissions if app is unused". For Samsungs this removal may happen on firmware update (bug). Permissions can be also removed manually in (i) app settings page.

Depending on type of permission (legacy or per-folder) it can be returned either via app settings (i) / Permissions or in Poweramp Settings / Music Folders.

(You get into (i) app settings by long pressing app icon then pressing ( i )).

On 1/27/2023 at 9:20 PM, maxmp said:

@Emberton app (Poweramp) won't remove permissions for itself, no logic like that or code exists. Permissions still can be and will be removed: recent Androids remove permissions for inactive apps (30+ days). This is controlled by the switch in app (i) settings - "Remove permissions if app is unused". For Samsungs this removal may happen on firmware update (bug). Permissions can be also removed manually in (i) app settings page.

Depending on type of permission (legacy or per-folder) it can be returned either via app settings (i) / Permissions or in Poweramp Settings / Music Folders.

(You get into (i) app settings by long pressing app icon then pressing ( i )).

Thanks Maxmp, I was not aware of the permissions being removed by Samsung. Thought I checked the app permissions and PA has access to all files / folders. Besides I use it every day. Until it simply stopped finding the files.  Really strange. Am I the only one with that issue? Or is it a complete re-install.....? Not keen as last time I think I had to do that, it took a while to get all the album covers back etc. Maybe the backup will sort this? 

Legacy File Access Mode: This is the original method of accessing the contents of internal device storage, SD Cards, etc. It basically provides a facility to read the whole of your device's user-allowed storage area, the root level of an SD Card, etc. An app asks the user to confirm permission to access Files, Photos and Media, and then just drills down into wherever it needs to access files. This is rather like the Windows File Explorer interface on a PC which starts at C:\ or D:\ and you drill down to find your content from there. Note: this is not the same as 'rooting' your Android device, you still can't access the fundamental operating system locations or master app files.

Storage Access Framework: Introduced by Google as far back as Android 4.4, this is more folder/document oriented rather than storage media focussed. You have to state and grant specific access to a particular folder, and then an app can only look in that folder (or folders). Originally you could still grant access to a top level location (such as the whole of an SD Card) just like with Legacy access, but that has been tightened up more and more over recent Android releases and you must now specify a particular folder (by tapping "Use This Folder" in the SAF access screen) as the starting point. In Windows terms, this would be like a program being given access to your Documents, Photos, Music, etc folders without really knowing where on your PC's overall file system they are actually being stored.

Google are pushing more and more forcefully to get modern app developers to only use SAF, but so far there have been workarounds and loopholes that still allow Legacy mode to be used. How long that will continue to work for is anyone's guess, it's possible a future Android version will block Legacy access completely.

Andre