Synchronize system playlists between 2 devices with Poweramp

Dave M

When you have two different devices with Poweramp and you want the system playlists copied over, or the same on both devices.

It's a very exhaustive process to export the playlists, then get the files off the device and onto the new one. Once you do that, you're stuck with all those .m3u8 file-based playlists on the target device that you have to open individually, and then create new system playlists for each one.

Wow. There's got to be a better way!

Possibly, an export option on the source device that creates an importable database file, that can be transferred to the target device and will duplicate the system playlists from the source device. That way you won't have to have all those .m3u8 files to deal with.

Or possibly some sort of syncing from The two devices over a Wi-Fi network.

What might make your life easier is https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.tacit.android.foldersync.lite which would allow a sync over google drive.

Setup a folder pair between the export folder on your source phone and google drive, and one job on the destination phone to load the files from google drive on your phone. And I would also consider to live with the file based m3u8's and forget about importing to Poweramp playlists. Import to Poweramp can be done quite quickly, long press on the m3u8 and then either create a new playlist or add the tracks to an existing playlist.

The workflow would be something like:

• Source device: Export playlists from Poweramp
  • Source device: Launch FolderSync  and synchronize export to google drive (2-3 clicks in the app)
  • Destination device: Launch FolderSync and synchronize export from google drive (2-3 clicks in the app)
  • Destination device: Launch Poweramp, go to playlists, long click on the playlist and either add to existing playlist or create new

Using only m3u8's:

• Source device: Launch FolderSync  and synchronize export to google drive (2-3 clicks in the app)
  • Destination device: Launch FolderSync and synchronize export from google drive (2-3 clicks in the app)

I thought system playlists have now been depreciated by Google and it is no longer recommended to use them?

MediaStore.Audio.Playlists This class was deprecated in API level 31. Android playlists are now deprecated. We [Google] will keep the current functionality for compatibility reasons, but we will no longer take feature request. We do not advise adding new usages of Android Playlists. M3U files can be used as an alternative.

Poweramp is still able to import older system playlists into its own internal music database - but it is a one-shot process, PA cannot export back to them or maintain them.

Personally, I exclusively use M3U files for my playlists, which can be accessed and updated by any app on my phone (although I normally only use them in Poweramp). I usually only edit the master file copies on my computer (well, NAS drive) and copy those back to my phone using file explorer which PA will notice on the next rescan. FolderSync, as suggested above, is an excellent tool for automatically syncing files between different devices, even via a network.

Andre

4 hours ago, 6b6561 said:

What might make your life easier is https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.tacit.android.foldersync.lite which would allow a sync over google drive.Setup a folder pair between the export folder on your source phone and google drive

Thanks for the info, I've used foldersync for other things.

Part of the point I was trying to make is that when you have a lot of playlists, it would be much easier if the PA music database could be exported, then imported on the other device with filesync. 

I don't think the PA database is user accessible within the Android file system (without rooting) is it?