Windows Media Player playlist transfer to Poweramp on Pixel 7

Kathy

I just got a new Pixel 7 and am trying to move several playlists from my PC on Windows Media Player to the phone. Will this app allow me to do that? All the songs are on the phone, but they are in a jumble and I'd like to have them in playlists that I don't have to redo from scratch-- one of them has 200 songs in it! I don't mind buying the app, but I want to make 100% sure before I spend the $$ that it will do what I want it to do. Thanks!

Poweramp has a trial period which is fully functional, so you can try it out. Playlists can be ported from your PC as long as the subfolders and audio files have the exact same names on both devices. The root paths will obviously differ, but as long as the filenames and containing folders match, it should work.

Andre

For your playlists to work you probably will need to have the same folder/file structure on your phone as you have on your PC. I have the same structure on my as my PC and use "relative" position playlists. Here's an example;

C:\Users\<me>\Music\Artist\Album\Tracks

In the Music folder I have playlists like

Artist\Album\tracks

"          "          "

On my phone I have an SD card with the format of

<SD card>/Music/Artist/Tracks   (The music folder is exactly the same on my phone as on the PC)

My playlists move without changefrom the Music folder on the PC to the music folder on my phone and they work just fine.

@w3wilkes While having the exact same subfolder hierarchy is great, and certainly makes managing your music collection easier as you can just copy the whole lot over from your computer to your phone, all Poweramp actually needs in order to find a song in your new Library is the exact filename and first containing folder name, the rest of the path information is discarded.

For example if a PC-sourced M3U playlist contained a reference to a song thus:

C:\Users\<me>\Music\Studio Albums\Electric Light Orchestra\Out of the Blue\Mr Blue Sky.mp3

Poweramp would still be able to find a match if the Android location for that same song was something like:

/storage/xxxx-xxxx/My Music Files/Artists/ELO/Out of the Blue/Mr Blue Sky.mp3

The only requirement for a match here is that a file called Mr Blue Sky.mp3 is contained in a folder called Out of the Blue, regardless of where that folder might be located within the phone's music library.

See the section on Playlists in:

Andre

@andrewilley Thanks for the additional info on playlists and file/folder name specs.

So the original with drive letter and all would also work because of the "\Out of the Blue\Mr Blue Sky.mp3" portion?

C:\Users\<me>\Music\Studio Albums\Electric Light Orchestra\Out of the Blue\Mr Blue Sky.mp3

A better choice for your example would have been "16 Wild West Hero.mp3"  😁

@w3wilkes Correct. It's the pairing of "\Out of the Blue\Mr Blue Sky.mp3" which Poweramp uses. It ignores all other path information, as copying a playlist file to a new device will result in wildly different absolute paths. PA also treats "/" and "\" as equivalent, so no need to edit those either.

Now, I'd better dig out my original single of "Wild West Hero", bought from my local record shop in Birmingham UK (where the band were local lads) when the song was first released. Not sure if Poweramp can play 7" vinyl though... :)

Andre

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

Now, I'd better dig out my original single of "Wild West Hero", bought from my local record shop in Birmingham UK (where the band were local lads) when the song was first released. Not sure if Poweramp can play 7" vinyl though... :)

Maybe Santa will bring you a turntable with a USB output, if you were good this year!

7 hours ago, MotleyG said:

Maybe Santa will bring you a turntable with a USB output, if you were good this year!

I do have one of those, and quite a lot of old vinyl.

7 hours ago, w3wilkes said:

Or you could just buy the whole album on CD and while you're at it I'd grab "A New World Record". Great ELO albums!

I reckon I'm probably good on the ELO front... :)

image.png

(I do have Bev Bevan's "Part II" stuff on the computer I think, but not on the phone)

Andre