Artists listed in library

R00STER

I actually came here to ask for a very similar feature, so I'll post in here instead of making a new thread... I was going to request that the player respect the "album artist" tag, and give the option to look at a list of album artists rather than track artists.

Implementation details: I believe it's typical to assume album artist = track artist if not present, and there is not a clear consensus between players as to whether the tag should be called "ALBUMARTIST" or "ALBUM ARTIST" in FLAC, and in MP3 the choice is between a TXXX tag with either "ALBUM ARTIST" or "ALBUMARTIST" as the description, or using the TPE2 (BAND) tag. Different players and taggers go with different options so IMO it would be best to read all of them!

Thanks for reading :)

Posted Today, 12:50 PM I actually came here to ask for a very similar feature, so I'll post in here instead of making a new thread... I was going to request that the player respect the "album artist" tag, and give the option to look at a list of album artists rather than track artists. Implementation details: I believe it's typical to assume album artist = track artist if not present, and there is not a clear consensus between players as to whether the tag should be called "ALBUMARTIST" or "ALBUM ARTIST" in FLAC, and in MP3 the choice is between a TXXX tag with either "ALBUM ARTIST" or "ALBUMARTIST" as the description, or using the TPE2 (BAND) tag. Different players and taggers go with different options so IMO it would be best to read all of them!

Posted Today, 12:50 PM I actually came here to ask for a very similar feature, so I'll post in here instead of making a new thread... I was going to request that the player respect the "album artist" tag, and give the option to look at a list of album artists rather than track artists. Implementation details: I believe it's typical to assume album artist = track artist if not present, and there is not a clear consensus between players as to whether the tag should be called "ALBUMARTIST" or "ALBUM ARTIST" in FLAC, and in MP3 the choice is between a TXXX tag with either "ALBUM ARTIST" or "ALBUMARTIST" as the description, or using the TPE2 (BAND) tag. Different players and taggers go with different options so IMO it would be best to read all of them!

My very first topic was related to album artist handling: there i suggested either a simple folder based solution where different artists inside one album folder are summed up as "various artists" in library view or a more sophisticated tag based solution that consideres the different tag standards or de-facto-standards introduced by certain players. In the latter case - if i didn't overlook something - two options would be sufficient: 1. "use itunescompilationflag" (for iTunes user), 2. "Use TPE2-Frame for MP3's" (for Winamp, WMP, Media Monkey, etc. users). Furthermore Poweramp should have an internal/hardcoded list of possible names of frame headers (TXXX-Frames in ID3v2, Vorbis Comment, Ape) for identification: i think "Album Artist" and "Albumartist" would be enough.

Archived