We need more than 25 "Unsplit Artists" tags

ThomasMP3

I have a large collection and I just hit that 25 limit. I use "&" and lot, because many band names use it officially ("Seals & Croft" - "Crosby, Stills & Nash" - "Earth, Wind & Fire") while others officially use "and" in their name ("Bruce Hornsby and The Range" - "Glen Miller and His Orchestra").

However, "&" is also the preferred method to split collaborative artists, such as "Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson". So, yeah I just hit that 25 limit to tagging artist names to unsplit. This should maybe be upped to 50.

Edited by ThomasMP3

What other separators are you using? There really is only need for one in most libraries, as it should be a consistent character. The original accepted standards have been to use either a semicolon “;” or slash “/“ but it depends on what your players are capable of.

if you use the “&” character with your examples, you would have the following;

Croft

Crosby, Stills

Earth, Wind

Fire

Michael Jackson

Nash

Paul McCartney

Seals

Agreed, if you need more than 25 exceptions then you have probably chosen the wrong symbols(s) to be used as separators. I would definitely avoid using ampersand or comma as there are far too many legitimate band names that include those characters.

I use semicolon almost exclusively, but I also allow for recently introduced terms in newer music such as "feat.", "ft." and "w/". For what it's worth, my separators list is:

image.png

Andre

If they increase to 50, at some point your library will pass that also.

It's better to just separate with a regular keyboard & and then use a Unicode & as one you don't want to separate. The Unicode & looks identical in your library and won't get confused with the regular one when Poweramp splits because it's a different character.