Adding new music takes a long time

MothraMoon

4 hours ago, 6b6561 said:

Quite interesting reading on SD cards in general. I would say that there is no worry that a memory card would be worn out using it for more or less static file storage.

https://www.colesclassroom.com/how-long-do-micro-sd-cards-last/

I did the one big "dump" but would be adding to it piecemeal once a month or so (it's only about 100-200 songs a month and thus not terrible. But yes, it sounds like it will not be horrific.

The only thing I thought might be bad would be putting new albums by artists I already have into in "old" folders. Like "The Kinks" is a large folder, but I am always adding more to it. And the only reason I use itunes at all is A) the ability to download from the itunes store B.) it lets me rip CDs many of which I burn from vinyl, C) it serves as an index for when I really can't find something. [I had files get lost in OneDrive because it used a foreign character like "Garcons" with the french "C." Thus I can easily find the file path using the itunes interface, and then find the file in onedrive. (Which is why being consistent across all copies of the song file is kind of key). I agree it sucks, but it is too much work to fix it and not really worth it. Probably thee most annoying thing is that it will take a single artist comp, and not only put it in the compilations pile instead of artists, but if it is like "20th Century Masters" it will dump everything in there like it is one album even though it is a series featuring multiple artists. I know I could uncheck the box and fix it, but then I would have to fix it multiple places which would cause playlists to stop working etc.

And, I was not even thinking about damaging the SD card until I read something about how you should never delete photos from your camera because when you take subsequent photos, it fills "the hole" where the deleted file was and can cause it to fail.

Edited by MothraMoon

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The initial directory crawl would be quicker with one large folder, but as that process only takes a few seconds anyway that's largely a moot point. However opening a file inside one huge directly can have take longer than opening a file in a small folder, so opening 30,000 files in one large directory will take a LOT longer than opening everything in 3,000 folders with ten files in each. I have one subfolder with more than 1,000 random singles in, but most of my subfolders are in the 10-20 tracks region, per album.

Re-writing the same flash memory locations is a potentially a (very-long-term) issue, but only tens of thousands of writes of the exact same locations later. I really wouldn't worry too much about it unless you are doing it rapidly and continuously. Not such if Android does the same as Windows and uses new sequential areas until it needs to go back again, rather than always trying to fill in blank spaces.

Andre