How is Poweramp's support so terrible?

Ben R

8 hours ago, Ben Robart said:

I understand you're probably limited in what you can do via the forums, but I really don't think it's unreasonable to want to speak to someone more senior than whoever's in charge of email support

You seem to be under the misapprehension that Poweramp is some sort of huge global corporation with teams of staff like Google or Amazon. There is only one developer of this project ( @maxmp ) and a couple of other people who help out with other stuff so he can get on with the programming. Alex works on handling the Support and Account emails five days a week - and yes, many of them will get form replies to common questions. And then there's me handling the forum administration and moderation; as it happens, I'm quite often online outside of work hours too (which is handy as de-spamming etc can be required at any time) but I do take issue with people demanding replies by direct message within 15 minutes on a Sunday afternoon when I've got dinner guests...

Anyway, let's see if anything can be done today, but from what you have posted subsequently in response to this thread, I do think your issue is with Google not Poweramp.

Andre

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Fitzian said:

Not trying to antagonize or debunk, here. I don't know what happens if you make a Play store purchase with solely credits. But this weather app purchased with PayPal and credits together combined shows up under Play Store -> User Icon -> Payments & Subscriptions -> Budget & History.

1642304822_Screenshot_20221030-2031002.thumb.png.09b0c0187bc9fb2be56d84afc126259a.png

Screenshot_20221030-204346.thumb.png.1bbb1831f7d41589b66d985efd408533.png

I don't have anything in here sadly, not even things that *do* show in the other page mentioned above.

7 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

You seem to be under the misapprehension that Poweramp is some sort of huge global corporation with teams of staff like Google or Amazon. There is only one developer of this project ( @maxmp ) and a couple of other people who help out with other stuff so he can get on with the programming. Alex works on handling the Support and Account emails five days a week - and yes, many of them will get form replies to common questions. And then there's me handling the forum administration and moderation; as it happens, I'm quite often online outside of work hours too (which is handy as de-spamming etc can be required at any time) but I do take issue with people demanding replies by direct message within 15 minutes on a Sunday afternoon when I've got dinner guests...

Anyway, let's see if anything can be done today, but from what you have posted subsequently in response to this thread, I do think your issue is with Google not Poweramp.

Andre

I understand you're not a massive company, and I understand having generic responses to first line support queries, but sending someone the same email 3 times isn't acceptable, which is why I wanted (and still want) to speak to someone capable of doing something rather than going around in circles with what feels like an automated support email.

It might be an issue with Google, yes - but like I said, I emailed them in June and have followed up multiple times, to no avail - so if Poweramp are able to do something (beyond sending me replies aren't relevant to my query), it would be appreciated.

3 minutes ago, Ben Robart said:

I don't have anything in here sadly, not even things that *do* show in the other page mentioned above.

If you don't have anything that shows up in purchase history and you're using the same google account that you used on the previous device, you're on the wrong page as it's an issue on google's end then, so Poweramp support can't do anything to help you. You should contact google support as it's clearly a google related issue.

1 minute ago, Xander71 said:

If you don't have anything that shows up in purchase history and you're using the same google account that you used on the previous device, you're on the wrong page as it's an issue on google's end then, so Poweramp support can't do anything to help you. You should contact google support as it's clearly a google related issue.

Have you... read the thread?

5 minutes ago, Ben Robart said:

@Xander71 was just reiterating what I said. Unfortunately the fact that Google have not replied to you since June is nothing that Poweramp has any control over. And they do have a lot more staff than PA does. Anyway, let's see if anything can be worked out this week, but I suspect we already know the answer now.

Andre

8 minutes ago, Ben Robart said:

I did, in short you have changed your device and you're unable to restore your purchase, using the same google account that you have used on the old one, you wrote to Poweramp support to get help, they asked you to provide any type of proof you have bought the app. You couldn't provide order number, confirmation email or even a screenshot of purchase history, sayin' it's not showing up there. So, what they can do? Notning at all. And it sounds a bit fishy to me, anyway. Write to google. They can't do nothing for you, unfortunatelly.

Edited by Xander71

2 minutes ago, Xander71 said:

I did, in short you have changed your device and you're unable to restore your purchase, using the same google account that you have used on the old one, you wrote to Poweramp support to get help, they asked you any tipe of proof you have bought the app. You couldn't provide order number, confirmation email or even a screenshot of purchase history, sayin' it's not showing up there. So, what they can do? Notning at all. And it sounds a bit fishy to me, anyway. Write to google. They can't do nothing for you, unfortunatelly.

Right, so clearly you haven't read the thread, because I've stated MULTIPLE times in the thread that I contacted them as far back as June and have followed up but not heard back.

@Ben Robart All right, instead you can complain in here 24/7 wasting your time and energy, as the Poweramp support can't help you with an issue that's not on their end. And if you can't provide them a receipt, or even a screenshot, that's again the Poweramp support's fault as they are not willing to help you, right? Cool, okay.

Edited by Xander71

Just now, Xander71 said:

@Ben Robart All right, instead you can complain in here 24/7 wasting your time and energy, as the Poweramp support can't help you with an issue that's not on their end. And if you can't provide them a receipt, or even a screenshot, that's again the Poweramp support's fault as they are willing to help you, right? Cool, okay.

Once again you've proven that you haven't read the thread. My issue isn't with the fact that Poweramp might not be able to help me - it's about the fact that some lazy report rep thinks it's justifiable or excusable to send me the same response three times in a row.

3 minutes ago, Ben Robart said:

it's about the fact that some lazy report rep thinks it's justifiable or excusable to send me the same response three times in a row.

Basically that's how support works, they won't write a new message for each and every person, even tech giants like google or any other, let alone a small community like Poweramp. What do you want them to do for you if they can't help you with your issue?

Basically that's how support works, they won't write a new message for each and every person, even tech giants like google or any other, let alone a small community like Poweramp. What do you want them to do for you if they can't help you with your issue?

Well they're clearly not even reading my emails, so doing that would be a good start.

To my opinion the support will need your mail address and the order number to be able to help you.

I have saved all my old mails which I have received from Google Play <googleplay-noreply@google.com> because  I have learned that a Google account restore is almost impossible.

Once I have changed my Google emergency mail address.

However Google has not only deleted the old mail address but the whole account with all my purchases.

I had to create a new Google account and I have asked all the relevant dealers to authorize new subscriptions.

Edited by beat8000

I really don't understand people... I have switched devices a couple of times over the years, with the devices I have switched accounts as well everytime I did a switch, as I'm a bit paranoid about protecting my personal information, so I never have any account associated with my real identity. I don't trust any company with my data! (Ask me why). Even now I have a personal device and an other one for work, I own both of them, two separate acconts, bought Poweramp again on both. If you like the product and love using it, it literally costs just a cup of coffee, while you're supporting the developer of the app doing his work, and you don't have to suffer. Win-win. Since june, you could just hit that "Buy" button if you really love the app, do you? And you wouldn't have any problems now. Instead, people choose suffering for months over a cup of coffee... 🤔 interesting.

3 minutes ago, Xander71 said:

I really don't understand people... I have switched devices a couple of times over the years, with the devices I have switched accounts as well everytime I did a switch, as I'm a bit paranoid about protecting my personal information, so I never have any account associated with my real identity. I don't trust any company with my data! (Ask me why). Even now I have a personal device and an other one for work, I own both of them, two separate acconts, bought Poweramp again on both. If you like the product and love using it, it literally costs just a cup of coffee, while you're supporting the developer of the app doing his work, and you don't have to suffer. Win-win. Since june, you could just hit that "Buy" button if you really love the app, do you? And you wouldn't have any problems now. Instead, people choose suffering for months over a cup of coffee... 🤔 interesting.

Again, you'd know the answer to that if you'd bothered reading the thread like you claimed to.

It's a matter of principle - I've already paid for the app once, I shouldn't have to pay for it again.

However - sure, if I don't have a receipt that's my own fault, but out of principle I have no plans to give Poweramp any more money unless they can offer an explanation or resolution as to how their email "support" rep is just so awful. If they can't offer a fix, fine, but I at least want to know why they think it's acceptable to send people the same response multiple times without bothering to read what's actually being said.

But then again - if it's "just a cup of coffee" and apparently not a big deal, why don't you offer to cover the cost of Alex's incompetence for me? Unless, of course, it's a matter of principle - in which case, checkmate?

Edited by Ben Robart

@Ben Robart Principle, yeah. If everything can be free. Do you have spotify, netflix, youtube music or any subscripton that costs more and you have to pay it monthly? Many people has and they are willing to pay for it, monthly. For Poweramp you just have to make a one time purchase in the cost of a cup of coffee. People: no, I already paid, not willing to do it again, I choose to suffer. I'm out... hats off to you @andrewilley, you're doing a great job here!

@Ben Robart Principle, yeah. If everything can be free. Do you have spotify, netflix, youtube music or any subscripton that costs more and you have to pay it monthly? Many people has and they are willing to pay for it, monthly. For Poweramp you just have to make a one time purchase in the cost of a cup of coffee. People: no, I already paid, not willing to do it again, I choose to suffer. I'm out... hats off to you @andrewilley, you're doing a great job here!

What on earth are you talking about?

It isn't "free". I've paid for the app.

And yes, I have a Netflix and Spotify subscription - but they're just that, subscriptions.

Poweramp is MEANT to be a one-off purchase - so why would I pay for it again?

If it comes down to it and I have to then fine, I'll do it. But not until I'm given an explanation and apology for why Alex is so abysmal at their job.

Edited by Ben Robart

Enough already! I think the point has been made. Any more bickering over the same ground is pointless and a waste of everyone's time and I may start deleting comments.

This seems to be the situation:

• @Ben Robart says he bought a Pixel 5 in December 2021 and also paid for the PA-EQ app through the Google Play Store at around the same time, and used it successfully on that device. We have clarified and he says this was definitely a GOOGLE purchase not a website purchase via the same in-app mechanism.
  • He further says the device got damaged so he bought a new Pixel 6, and is using the same Google account. However he cannot now restore the licence after re-downloading the app, and there is apparently nothing visible in his purchase history in the Google Play Store. Unfortunately he does not have the googleplay confirmation email from last year either.
  • He has emailed Google support in June - as the company with which he has a purchase contract - but he has not received any response from them. Unsure whether this was only one email though?
  • He emailed Poweramp support three times last week and received three replies, all saying the same thing: app developers are not provided with any user email details from Google, and he would need to supply the purchase ID from the Play Store or his confirmation email in order to progress this any further. Unfortunately he cannot do that as his Google history seems to show that no purchase occurred and he has deleted any email confirmation.
  • The rest is two pages of accusations and aggressive complaints here over the past 20 hours, and 8+ demanding DMs to me personally over the space of about four hours on Sunday afternoon.

If Alex can help any further I'm sure he will, but at the moment he has nothing further to go on. In the meantime please could you return to Google again and ask what has happened to your purchase - as even if a refund had occurred, that should have been noted in your Purchase History view too.

Andre

11 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Enough already! I think the point has been made. Any more bickering over the same ground is pointless and a waste of everyone's time and I may start deleting comments.

This seems to be the situation:

• @Ben Robart says he bought a Pixel 5 in December 2021 and also paid for the PA-EQ app through the Google Play Store at around the same time, and used it successfully on that device. We have clarified and he says this was definitely a GOOGLE purchase not a website purchase via the same in-app mechanism.
  • He further says the device got damaged so he bought a new Pixel 6, and is using the same Google account. However he cannot now restore the licence after re-downloading the app, and there is apparently nothing visible in his purchase history in the Google Play Store. Unfortunately he does not have the googleplay confirmation email from last year either.
  • He has emailed Google support in June - as the company with which he has a purchase contract - but he has not received any response from them. Unsure whether this was only one email though?
  • He emailed Poweramp support three times last week and received three replies, all saying the same thing: app developers are not provided with any user email details from Google, and he would need to supply the purchase ID from the Play Store or his confirmation email in order to progress this any further. Unfortunately he cannot do that as his Google history seems to show that no purchase occurred and he has deleted any email confirmation.
  • The rest is two pages of accusations and aggressive complaints here over the past 20 hours, and 8+ demanding DMs to me personally over the space of about four hours on Sunday afternoon.

If Alex can help any further I'm sure he will, but at the moment he has nothing further to go on. In the meantime please could you return to Google again and ask what has happened to your purchase - as even if a refund had occurred, that should have been noted in your Purchase History view too.

Andre

If people stopped making the same stupid points that have already been covered without bothering to read the thread, there would be no "bickering" or going "over the same ground".

Alex hasn't helped at all, hence why I made this post, and hence why I want to speak to someone who can actually do something. 

I'll reach out to Google again, but it's a futile effort given that I've been trying to reach them multiple times over the past four months.

"He emailed Poweramp support three times last week and received three replies, all saying the same thing: app developers are not provided with any user email details from Google, and he would need to supply the purchase ID from the Play Store or his confirmation email in order to progress this any further. Unfortunately he cannot do that as his Google history seems to show that no purchase occurred and he has deleted any email confirmation." - this is incorrect. The response received from Alex was the same each time, but it never mentioned that you have no access to email details (which, as an aside, you do have access to - I've published my own apps and get access to this data via Google). I've attached a screenshot of what was actually said on all three occasions to this post. Not once was there any effort made to read what I was actually saying - just a lazy copy and paste job, without a care in the world.

So again - I don't care if you can't resolve the problem. I've already accepted that. What I *do* care about is the fact that this "support" rep is being defended for doing an absolutely TERRIBLE job (i.e. "responding" to emails without even bothering to read them), and the only way you're getting any money from me (for a second time, I should point out) is if I get an apology and explanation for how awful a job they've done.

chrome_WnPfUDpnug.png

Edited by Ben Robart

I should also note - the price has seemingly increased recently, from £3.99 a few days ago to £4.40 (and has increased further since I originally bought it); so I'm doubly reluctant to fork over any cash for it a second time.

Edited by Ben Robart

@Ben Robart Prices can vary depending on regions and offers, and also exchange rates. I think the base price is set in dollars, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

The "someone who can actually do something" is most probably Google.

Closing this thread for now as it's taken up more of my time in the last 24 hours than anything else. I've removed several further comments that were not constructive.

Andre

@andrewilley Right, if the Restore purchase button doesn’t work for an user there is nothing we can do beyond guiding the user through all those possible blockers, such as incorrect google account selected in Play, Play app issues, sometimes even date/time being off on the device and that may cause the issue.

Unfortunately there is no any button we can press to magically help here. 

We ask for the purchase number to check if the purchase actually happened, not refunded, etc. As obviously Play won’t restore purchase if purchase is not marked as valid in their database.

Appreciated. Still awaiting an apology for how poor the support has been so far, as well as an explanation as to how anyone thinks it's reasonable that I should have to pay almost double what I paid for the app if I want to re-gain access to it.