Hi-Res output bit depth and sample rate stuck

romain8991

Hello. Upon installing the 944 build on my Oppo Find X5 Pro, I quickly realised that the bit rate and the sample rate of the Hi-Res (Dynamic HD) output are capped and locked to 24 bit and 48 khz. I can't use any other bit depth or sample rate, even though my phone is Hi-Res certified. Could you please do something about it? Thanks in advance.

Also try restoring Output methods to default and then re-enabling Hi-Res (or AAudio/etc) with or without DVC and see if that helps.

It actually may not have been working prior to 944, as a lot of systems were mis-reporting the final hardware stage of high-resolution output when the device was not utilising the full content that PA was generating.

Andre

18 hours ago, Dragladiator said:

@romain8991 try disable DVC (Direct Volume Control)

I did, but to no avail.

14 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Also try restoring Output methods to default and then re-enabling Hi-Res (or AAudio/etc) with or without DVC and see if that helps.

It actually may not have been working prior to 944, as a lot of systems were mis-reporting the final hardware stage of high-resolution output when the device was not utilising the full content that PA was generating.

Andre

I also did restore output methods to default aswell, with and without DVC, but the issue remained.

On 10/10/2022 at 9:33 AM, romain8991 said:

Hello. Upon installing the 944 build on my Oppo Find X5 Pro, I quickly realised that the bit rate and the sample rate of the Hi-Res (Dynamic HD) output are capped and locked to 24 bit and 48 khz. I can't use any other bit depth or sample rate, even though my phone is Hi-Res certified. Could you please do something about it? Thanks in advance.

This phone uses Dolby SFX processing. I suspect this needs to be disabled to allow Poweramp to access the full range of sample rates and bit depth options. Most post processing will default to the 24bit/48kHz like what you are seeing.

20 hours ago, MotleyG said:

This phone uses Dolby SFX processing. I suspect this needs to be disabled to allow Poweramp to access the full range of sample rates and bit depth options. Most post processing will default to the 24bit/48kHz like what you are seeing.

I thought the same, until I disabled it with no effect on my issue (either via Bluetooth, DAC ou phone speakers). Or maybe, it's because I can't disable it completely on my phone, for some reason. Honestly, I don't really know.

Sometimes you need to restart Poweramp from zero after stopping these effects

Sometimes my output gets locked to 16-48 if I use YouTube for example while Poweramp is active and it only goes back after I restart (not reinstalling, just stopping it and starting thw app again)

Or a phone reboot might work as well

And if course make sure no other apps are trying to start an audio session at the same time

Where is it written that this device supports hi res? It IS written that is supports atmos, but I haven't been able to find any product information about the former (on Oppo's site and others). It supports BT codecs from basic SBC up through LDAC codec, yes, but the device itself has no 3.5mm output. What kind of connection are you trying to get hi res support? Dongle or Bluetooth?

~edit~(Do note, I realize this is a flagship priced phone, it SHOULD have this support at this level, but it's not easy to confirm these things without spectral analysis, audio policy config files, or firm reference to it in device specs).

Edited by Fitzian
additional thoughts

On 10/12/2022 at 10:33 PM, Fitzian said:

Where is it written that this device supports hi res? It IS written that is supports atmos, but I haven't been able to find any product information about the former (on Oppo's site and others). It supports BT codecs from basic SBC up through LDAC codec, yes, but the device itself has no 3.5mm output. What kind of connection are you trying to get hi res support? Dongle or Bluetooth?

~edit~(Do note, I realize this is a flagship priced phone, it SHOULD have this support at this level, but it's not easy to confirm these things without spectral analysis, audio policy config files, or firm reference to it in device specs).

I can't find a source that indicates it's Hi-Res certified either, but I think I saw it somewhere. However, I tried changing bit depth and sample rate on my former phone (Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro) that's Hi-Res certified, and I came across the same problem. Plus, why would the Hi-Res outputs be available on my phone if it didn't support it? I don't know, that's still unclear to me, but thanks for the help.

Could you provide the results of PA Settings=>Audio=>Advanced Tweaks=>Audio Outputs Detection Log.

Clearly high-res on the phone's speakers would be a nonsense anyway, and it does not have a 3.5mm output so quality might be down to the USB-C adapter and/or how their version of Android supports that. 

Andre

7 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Could you provide the results of PA Settings=>Audio=>Advanced Tweaks=>Audio Outputs Detection Log.

Clearly high-res on the phone's speakers would be a nonsense anyway, and it does not have a 3.5mm output so quality might be down to the USB-C adapter and/or how their version of Android supports that. 

Andre

Sure, you will find it at the bottom of this message. I get where you come from, but with decent speakers like the ones of my phone, I disagree to a degree. Actually, I was more worried about it because I oftenly use Hi-Res headphones that support LDAC (Sony WH-1000xm4)

11:49:11.569 build-944-bundle-play
Device: OPPO OPPO CPH2305 CPH2305EEA taro "qcom" OP52D1L1 CPH2305_11_C.35 [arm64-v8a, armeabi-v7a, armeabi]

taro is_snapdragon
Snapdragon Android 12+
USB can handle Hi-Res - sdk=33
isSnapdragonAndroid12 isOppo isOnePlus=>FLAG_VARIANT_DYNAMIC build_date_utc=1662760711
>>>OK flags=0x31541c400400000
FLAG_VARIANT_DYNAMIC
FLAG_SUPPORTS_PCM_24
FLAG_SUPPORTS_PCM_32
FLAG_ALLOW_PCM_32
FLAG_SUPPORTS_USB
FLAG_NEEDS_EXTRA_SLEEPS
FLAG_SUPPORTS_SPEAKER
FLAG_SUPPORTS_LDAC
FLAG_ALLOW_DVC_EFFECT
PA_OUTPUT_CAP_DELAYED_FORMAT
INTERNAL_OUTPUT_FLAG_SR_384K
INTERNAL_OUTPUT_FLAG_SR_352K
INTERNAL_OUTPUT_FLAG_SR_192K
INTERNAL_OUTPUT_FLAG_SR_176K
INTERNAL_OUTPUT_FLAG_SR_96K
INTERNAL_OUTPUT_FLAG_SR_88K

Edited by romain8991

5 hours ago, romain8991 said:

I get where you come from, but with decent speakers like the ones of my phone, I disagree to a degree. Actually, I was more worried about it because I oftenly use Hi-Res headphones that support LDAC (Sony WH-1000xm4)

There is no way that any speaker(s) built into a phone are going to benefit significantly from having hi-res playback. There just isn't enough fidelity there to have this benefit, regardless of any phone manufacturer claims.

With no wired headphone output, you are basically down to the USB output to a separate DAC of some kind (either a USB-headphone dongle, or a true USB-DAC) or the Bluetooth connection. Both methods require both the phone and the device to share the same level of support for this to work.

In this case it does look like both your phone and headphones have LDAC, so that should provide some benefit. But even with this enabled, it doesn't clearly show what sample rate your phone is using for LDAC, perhaps this is the 24bit/48kHz limit you are seeing. From the Sony site, the spec for the headphones is listed (FREQUENCY RESPONSE (BLUETOOTH® COMMUNICATION) 20–20,000 Hz (44.1 kHz sampling)/20–40,000 Hz (LDAC 96 kHz sampling, 990 kbps). For Oppo, it is less clear other than support for the format without showing any specifications or details for the audio (Bluetooth Audio Codec SBC, AAC, APTX HD, LDAC, APTX, LHDC).

Edit: I'm actually amazed at how little attention is given to the audio specs on most mobile devices. But they list every pixel of video details, camera support, and connectivity in every possible way other than the audio. Kind of a shame.

Edited by MotleyG

25 minutes ago, MotleyG said:

Edit: I'm actually amazed at how little attention is given to the audio specs on most mobile devices. But they list every pixel of video details, camera support, and connectivity in every possible way other than the audio. Kind of a shame.

Camera

Rear

50MP Main Camera: f/1.7; FOV 80°; 1G6P lens; AF supported; closed-loop focus motor; dual-OIS 5-axis stabilization
50MP Ultra-wide Angle Camera: f/2.2; FOV 110°; 7P lens; AF supported; closed-loop focus motor; 4 cm macro photography supported
13MP Telephoto Camera: f/2.4; FOV 45°; 5P lens; AF supported

Front

32MP Front Camera: f/2.4; FOV 90°; lens: 5P, fixed focus

Shooting Mode

Rear: Photo, Video, Night, Pro, Panorama, Portrait, Time-lapse, Slow-motion, Text scanner, Hi-Res, Movie, Long exposure, Dual-view video, Sticker, and Google Lens
Front: Photo, Video, Panoramic, Portrait, Night, Time-lapse, Dual-view video, and Sticker

Audio

Yes. 🤣

Edited by Fitzian