SD card not recognised

tomfox

I am using Poweramp build-939-uni on IBasso dx320 but can't use sd card no more. "Can't use this folder" it says. Have given access to media but could only choose "only access to media" while Neutron has access to all files. Think that is has something to do with Android 11

Poweramp->settings->Library->Music folders->SD card->enable: "Can't use this folder". I can choose for one of the several folders on the SD-card (folder-> use this folder) but than only that folder is used. Poweramp must be adjusted to Android 11?

@tomfox Poweramp only needs access to your music folders (and its own folders). The new security world in android is such that any app can only access folders (read/write) that the user allows. As maxmp points out above, the root (top level) and downloads are protected so you cannot choose these. So yes you need to select as many folders as you think you need. Generally people have their music in one folder with many subfolders (eg artists for example).All you need to select is this main music folder

@tomfox Unless you have your music strewn across many folders, your approach makes sense but it is of course more practical to bring all music in 1 folder called say "Music". It will save a lot of time and effort in the long run.

In android 11 and above, the new security model applies to all apps, even your other music apps

1 hour ago, tomfox said:

It will take a while to select and add all the folders on the SD-card. Other music apps can scan the sd card without this operation, but thanks.

Tom

Not entirely true. Those other player apps also have to follow these rules for updated versions. The current work around being used won’t be permanent solutions. 

4 hours ago, tomfox said:

I don't have to do this in Neutron and IBasso's own Mango player: just select sd card and scanning...

Tom

Mango player is a native app that is embedded by the manufacturer with their own custom build of Android. So of course that will work. I have a DX160, and very familiar with iBasso products.

Neutron (which I also use) has posted that this ability for the dev to circumvent Android SAF is not going to last. It is on their own forum. If you install from the play store directly, the newest versions have the same security features already that are in Poweramp. There are update versions available to download from their site that don’t use the SAF protection for now. But these aren’t “official” releases and will be forced out by Google sooner than later.

Regardless, the simple solution here is to avoid spreading out your folder and files under the root folder of your SD card. Common is to have a single “Music” folder that you can enable access to in any app including Poweramp.

This is a best practice anyhow. And isn’t something difficult to accomplish, especially if you manage your library content from a PC or Mac. Simply create the new folder, then move all of your current media folders into that one. The time to do this would be far less than what has been spent here looking for a work-around to Google security planning.

• 2 weeks later...

For the latest versions of Android, using Google's lovely user-friendly Storage Access Framework, they don't permit routine apps to grant access to an entire storage hierarchy (i.e. its root level) but only to specific named folders within that storage (which also allows access to subfolders). Just create a folder called 'My Music' and put everything in there.

You can bypass this restriction by using PA Settings=>Misc=>File Access legacy Mode, but there is no guarantee that will work forever as Google gets more and more Big Brother in its policies.

Andre