Blurry Album Art Issues

djdarko

23 minutes ago, maxmp said:

@djdarko what is wrong with the image? Can you send it (the original one, from your folder) for tests? Thanks!

It renders very blurry. Note: I have "Increase Resolution" enabled in the Album Art options.

Here are two examples to test,

2979x2979 and 1425x1425

https://i.ibb.co/4V0Zrz0/Moby-Hotel-cover.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/gD70zpD/Tom-Petty-Tom-Petty-The-Heartbreakers-cover.jpg

Edited by djdarko

@djdarko I can see noticeable difference between those rendered in Poweramp and standard gallery, tested build-922 Samsung@12.

Try to reboot phone once? Also are you sure these images are loaded, not some downloaded similar ones? Note that selecting image via Menu / Album Art may reduce quality slightly due to the recompression.

2 hours ago, maxmp said:

@djdarko I can see noticeable difference between those rendered in Poweramp and standard gallery, tested build-922 Samsung@12.

Try to reboot phone once? Also are you sure these images are loaded, not some downloaded similar ones? Note that selecting image via Menu / Album Art may reduce quality slightly due to the recompression.

I reset the phone, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

I set my phone offline and cleared the album art cache. It's slowly reloading everything. It seems that the ones with odd resolutions might just take longer to render correctly.

Edit: Some are blurry again after being clear while scrolling through them earlier.  Not sure what the issue is. The phone is still offline.

Edited by djdarko

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@djdarko Poweramp uses HARDWARE type of textures on relatively recent devices/Androids (8+). The good thing is that memory pressure from such textures is reduced x2. The bad thing is that image is always handled directly by your device GPU/GPU-drivers, and those may be tuned for lower quality/higher performance and all that may vary between devices/Androids/firmwares/some developer settings, etc.

Still you can try "Increase Resolution" option which will force even higher res images and should resolve your blurry covers issue. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

I reported an album art rendering issue a while back, I'm looking a bit further into it and here is what I've found:

The albums don't seem to be random, they are specific covers that I've noticed this happen to. (Also, see the notes at the bottom.)

How to reproduce the issue, enable both of these options in Album Art:

+Use 24-bit RGB

+Increase Resolution

1.) Find an album that displays the blurry artwork. (Album X)

2.) Select/hit play on the blurry album (Album X), then cycle to a prev/next album (Album Y). And hit pause.

(Leave it paused on "Album Y", otherwise the next steps won't work correctly.)

3.) Close Poweramp by minimizing and swiping it away.

4.) Re-open Poweramp, cycle back to the blurry album (Album X), and it should now displaying clearly in high resolution.

[Click Image for Quality Comparison]

226416286_AlbumArtIssue.thumb.png.c3a05c08339d27c3ab2df9dad08d2eef.png

It might be a coincidence that the Windows properties of these blurry covers say "Color Representation: sRGB"

I tested last night on two older devices and couldn't reproduce the issue. It only seems to happen on my newest phone, a "Celero 5G".

I've attached three problematic album covers for testing:

Blurry sRGB Album Covers.zip

Edited by djdarko

• 6 months later...
On 7/2/2022 at 6:06 PM, andrewilley said:

Separated the comments out and merged from three different release-build threads to make this easier to follow.

Andre

Thanks Andre.

@maxmp

Did something change in build 950 that could have affected this?

I just noticed that this issue seems to have finally gone away in this build. I've reset my phone several times to check some of the old problematic images, and they look clear every time.

For the record, this was apparently the same issue - Max confirmed it was fixed as of Build 950:

Edited by djdarko