Add separators in albums for different discs similar to the VLC app

1 hour ago, IkBenAnders said:

Editing the meta data to add intended disc tags isn't to much of a bother in my opinion. Having the separators just makes it easier to quickly find a song in large albums if you know what disc they are on :)

If you don’t have the disc tag already, how is the player separating them now? Different folders?

5 minutes ago, MotleyG said:

If you don’t have the disc tag already, how is the player separating them now? Different folders?

Right now regardless if you use disc tags it just puts it in one long album with no indication of disc numbers. (as long as the album tag is the same for all of them of course.)

2 hours ago, IkBenAnders said:

Right now regardless if you use disc tags it just puts it in one long album with no indication of disc numbers. (as long as the album tag is the same for all of them of course.)

There’s an option to show disc number in the track meta found in Settings->Library->Lists, but this is simply shown in-line with the track length and file format. Definitely agree a disc # header and subsequent grouping would be much cleaner :) (when disc# tags or total discs tag is >1, not sure if it’s needed for plain old single disc albums)

Edited by Fitzian
clarification

3 hours ago, IkBenAnders said:

I meant how is VLC determining what tracks are in disc 1 and disc 2. If there is no metadata disc info in the files, then where is VLC getting the info? Because Poweramp can already show the disc details, just not grouped like this. Your exa,ple doesn’t show the disc info turned on.

My point earlier was about Sort Order, not whether the files have embedded Disc# tags. Such a separator would only be applicable if you are using the List Options sorting order 'Disc#/Track#'. It would not work if you were sorting the songs list By Filename or By Title.

Andre

6 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

My point earlier was about Sort Order, not whether the files have embedded Disc# tags. Such a separator would only be applicable if you are using the List Options sorting order 'Disc#/Track#'. It would not work if you were sorting the songs list By Filename or By Title.

Andre

What kind of anarchist would do such a thing?

6 hours ago, MotleyG said:

I meant how is VLC determining what tracks are in disc 1 and disc 2. If there is no metadata disc info in the files, then where is VLC getting the info? Because Poweramp can already show the disc details, just not grouped like this. Your exa,ple doesn’t show the disc info turned on.

I was talking about Poweramp in that comment, VLC gets it through the disc tag I'm sure.

9 minutes ago, Fitzian said:

What kind of anarchist would do such a thing?

Me. I mostly sort by filename (which if it's an album track would start with the track number, or discno-trackno in the case of multi-disc albums, or whatever I choose as a prefix for singles etc). And the All Songs list is sorted by Title.

My point was that PA had lots of sorting options, and this feature could only apply if Disc# in use.

Andre

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

Me. I mostly sort by filename (which if it's an album track would start with the track number, or discno-trackno in the case of multi-disc albums, or whatever I choose as a prefix for singles etc). And the All Songs list is sorted by Title.

My point was that PA had lots of sorting options, and this feature could only apply if Disc# in use.

Andre

There’s what, more than 15 different ways to sort a list of songs in Poweramp? Customizable for categories and subcategories alike.

…so why bother (trying to make one of them more useful)?

As for myself, I just don’t feel compelled to sort an Artist’s Album’s Songs in any fashion other than disc#,track# for adequately tagged files. My filenames are formatted as disc#-track#-title, as well. 

2 hours ago, Fitzian said:

There’s what, more than 15 different ways to sort a list of songs in Poweramp? Customizable for categories and subcategories alike.

…so why bother (trying to make one of them more useful)?

As for myself, I just don’t feel compelled to sort an Artist’s Album’s Songs in any fashion other than disc#,track# for adequately tagged files. My filenames are formatted as disc#-track#-title, as well. 

Agreed. It all starts with proper tagging. Any good player can take over from there and display whatever preference you may have. But prediction (or “guessing”) can never make everyone happy. 

3 hours ago, Fitzian said:

My filenames are formatted as disc#-track#-title, as well. 

Yes, mine too. Well, for Songs that are part of albums anyway, I have more than a thousand singles and other items that aren't though.

I do like the idea of separator break headers, but they would need to be appropriate to specific sort orders though.

I actually suggested this a few years ago in fact, as part of an overall feature request to make categories more user customisable:

Andre