Sort Recently Added by album

Jonny G

I've spent some time today seeing if its possible for the "Recently Added" library option to be sorted by album. So that instead of every individual track of a newly scanned batch of music being listed, just the albums themselves appear. I'm guessing not as I have tried a lot of different combinations to try and get this to happen with no joy, but just wondered if anyone has managed it.

Cheers!

Albums don't have an added date as they don't exist an an actual entity. They are merely a group name defined by a series of tracks which have the same Album and Album Artist tags. The tracks have added dates, albums don't (as they haven't been added).

Andre

To add @andrewilley explanation, most times, songs are added individually at different time, days or even years as the case may be, so sorting Album by recently added is a difficult task, don't forget, even Artists release single(s) before the full album is released which most times are not in the same year. 

So if  you download the single, and later download the album at a different, how do you @Jonny G expect Poweramp or any offline music player to sort it? 

If you are really interested in knowing when a file added (in this case, not an album) use a file explorer, but make sure you add them in a folder. 

Bencherished 

Edited by Bencherished

3 hours ago, Bencherished said:

To add @andrewilley explanation, most times, songs are added individually at different time, days or even years as the case may be, so sorting Album by recently added is a difficult task, don't forget, even Artists release single(s) before the full album is released which most times are not in the same year. 

So if  you download the single, and later download the album at a different, how do you @Jonny G expect Poweramp or any offline music player to sort it? 

If you are really interested in knowing when a file added (in this case, not an album) use a file explorer, but make sure you add them in a folder. 

Bencherished 

I was happy with the original explanation. I only add full albums to my storage so it wasn't outside the limits of my imagination that it might work differently to the way it does. But as I said, I accept that it won't function the way I'd like it to.

Edited by Jonny G

5 minutes ago, Jonny G said:

I was happy with the original explanation. I only add full albums to my storage so it wasn't outside the limits of my imagination that it might work differently to the way it does. But as I said, I accept that it won't function the way I'd like it to. Case closed.

You can try this in a different use case:

In the main library, go to the Albums list. In the header, press the three-dot menu and choose List Options. Pick to Sort as By date added to Library, and make sure you check the Reverse box. This will put the most recently added albums at the top of the list. I'm not sure how this would be impacted if you run a Full Rescan, but it does work to do what you asked for otherwise.

46 minutes ago, MotleyG said:

You can try this in a different use case:

In the main library, go to the Albums list. In the header, press the three-dot menu and choose List Options. Pick to Sort as By date added to Library, and make sure you check the Reverse box. This will put the most recently added albums at the top of the list. I'm not sure how this would be impacted if you run a Full Rescan, but it does work to do what you asked for otherwise.

Very clever! Thanks for the tip.

I guess some kind of date sorting can be added to the virtual entities (tag based, like Album or Artist), but quality of this sorting will depend on files modification date/time - if you have your album uploaded the same time more or less - it would work. Thanks for the request!

The "recently added" category is quite useless for albums, if more than one album is added at the same time with something like "FolderSync" as then the tracks will be in random order.

@Jonny Gyou can use the album category for this, sort by "By date added to library" and in reverse order.

@andrewilleythe album entries has a date, works perfectly fine in the "album category".

Sort by added will be sorted as "Artist - Album" if you do a full rescan, looks like the scanner works alphabetically.

18 hours ago, 6b6561 said:

the album entries has a date, works perfectly fine in the "album category".

My point was that only songs have any real attributes at all, anything you might in Categories - Albums, Artists, Genres, Years, etc - is only be an aggregated, or more likely randomly spot-chosen, value from the various songs listed inside the Category.

Categories can perhaps be more accurately thought of as a type of filtered search result, the contents of which can be sorted by actual tags after filtering. So an Album is just a notional group built up from any songs that contain the same Album and Album Artist tags, in the same way that Artist is a group made up of songs that contain the same Artist tag, and so on with Genre, Year, etc. So an 'album' does have a consistent date-added value, or play-count.

Andre