Can't play any tracks in "Downloads"

PatrickTT

Hi!
I have all my mp3/ogg/flac downloaded into the folder "Download" (No shit, Sherlock!) . I recently switched to a Pixel 6 Pro.
Now, Poweramp says it can't use that folder ("Dieser Ordner kann nicht verwendet werden").
What am I doing wrong?

-Patrick-

You are using an Android 12 device and trying access a reserved system folder, which Goole no longer permits under its Storage Access Framework - other than by apps such as File Explorers which have to apply for specially authorised permissions, which a music player would not normally expect to be granted.

You could try switching back to using the old file handling routines by enabling PA Settings=>Misc=>File Access Legacy Mode, which does still work for many system folders for the time being. You will then need to chose the required folder and re-grant permissions via Settings > Library > Music Folders.

Or better still for longer-term use (Google will presumably fully enforce the rule at some point in the future) don't try to use system folders for purposes that they were not intended for. Put your music into the existing Music folder, or some other folder that you've created for your own use. I use 'Audio' for mine, as there are still some Android limitations on what you can do within the system's Music folder - such as not being able to block the Android media scanner from double-scanning everything by using a .nomedia file.

Andre

Thank you very much for your answer @andrewilley!
OK, so this is no Poweramp issue then. :)

But I disagree with the "don't try to use system folders for purposes that they were not intended for" - I'd say the Download folder is for downloads, and if I download music it is downloaded to the Download folder.
I don't really get the point from Google that apps cannot access the downloads - but that is an Android issue ;-) Now it's a couple of extra steps to listen to my downloaded music =/

1 hour ago, PatrickTT said:

But I disagree with the "don't try to use system folders for purposes that they were not intended for" - I'd say the Download folder is for downloads, and if I download music it is downloaded to the Download folder.

True, but once those files have been downloaded safely, Google now expects you to move them to a separate storage location. Consider the Download folder a temporary location only. Not really ideal for many users I suppose, but this is the intent that Google has built in with this protection.

I hate the way Android implements downloads too. Amongst other recent annoyances.

In Chrome, the 'choose location' function is rubbish. With Chrome on my PC, I can (and do) use a directory browser to save each downloaded item to its proper destination folder. On Android you are lucky if you can specify internal or SD Card, but it will still force a 'Download' folder.

As @MotleyG  says, treat the Download folder as a transient location that can contain any old junk - PDF files, audio, video, photos, documents, etc. So once downloaded, move your music files to your properly curated folder structure.

Andre