A-Z scroll disappeared on S22 Ultra! :(

Kpop4Life

So I just got a new S22 Ultra recently, installed Poweramp, copied all my music files over to the phone, then built a whole new play list. Much to my delight, I saw an A-Z scroller in the play list when I sorted by artist/album, which I've wanted for SO LONG because my play list is very long and has many artists. A few days later, I added a few new song files on the phone, then went into Poweramp to re-sort the list by artist/album like I always do, but when I looked at the updated play list, the A-Z scroll was gone! :( I checked the settings and the option was still enabled, so I resorted again, but it didn't come back. I've tried every sorting option there is, and still no A-Z scroll. 😭

Please, how do I get it back?!

Poweramp build: 939
Device model: Galaxy S22 Ultra 512GB (SM-S908U)
Android version: 12
No custom ROM being used

Playlists do not have the A-Z scroll bar as there is no guarantee that their contents will be in alphabetical order, they are a fixed and flatten format in whatever order you happened to create them (often that would be by track number for album additions for example). The Re-Sort feature is a one-shot reorganise that saves a new instant copy of the list in a different order, but using it does not guarantee that you decided to chose alpha ordering, or that you have not subsequently moved any songs around.

Andre

22 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Playlists do not have the A-Z scroll bar as there is no guarantee that their contents will be in alphabetical order, they are a fixed and flatten format in whatever order you happened to create them (often that would be by track number for album additions for example). The Re-Sort feature is a one-shot reorganise that saves a new instant copy of the list in a different order, but using it does not guarantee that you decided to chose alpha ordering, or that you have not subsequently moved any songs around.

Andre

Ahh, I see. Well, that's disappointing, and I sure would like that to be a feature in the future if at all possible. (I know you're not the dev, I'm just sayin'.) I did discover that if I simply choose the "All songs" option instead of opening a play list, I get an A-Z scroll, so I guess that will suffice as a workaround.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Kpop4Life said:

I sure would like that to be a feature in the future if at all possible.

Sadly it's not.

As I said, a playlist is simply a sequence of filenames intended to be played one-after-the-other, in whatever order the files happen to appear in the list. Playlists do not have a transient List Options=>Sort Order feature like other categories do (they are basically just an index to filenames, and are meant to be played as-given). You can change those lines around to make a new order whenever you like (which will re-write the whole list), and that can be done either manually or automatically. But any playlist could still be found in any order, and without a guarantee that it is an alpha-sorted list, it can't have an A-Z scroll bar. 

Andre