What's the difference between Poweramp and Poweramp Equalizer?

dextertd
Go to solution Solved by andrewilley,

Hello, I'm new here.

After a long time using the free version of Poweramp Equalizer, I recently purchased a license. What follows is a woeful tale.

I was surprised by how different the app looked when I followed the emailed instructions to install it and activate the license. I noticed the app I had just installed had a new icon, a snazzy new interface, and a music player - I figured I had neglected updating the app before or had unlocked some paid user feature. Unfortunately, the equalizer in the Poweramp app wasn't having an effect anything except its own music player. I recalled having to use the "Known Players" menu and ADBing in to activate the DUMP permission when using the free version before, and I repeated the ADB process again just in case, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out where that "Known Players" setting was.

Following an embarrassingly long time scrolling through the forums I realised that there are actually two distinct apps available. I had just installed the Poweramp app, but previously I was using the Poweramp Equalizer app. Only the Poweramp Equalizer app has the Known Players menu.

So, my question is, why are there two apps? I love the music player feature, but I also want the equalizer in the app to be system-wide. I am still mightily confused by the fact that the Poweramp app seems to have all the bells and whistles, plus more, of the Equalizer app, but the "Known Players" menu is absent. I don't understand why the app isn't unified, and indeed the non-equalizer (but yet also has an equalizer, much to my confusion) is only 3MB larger than the Equalizer one.

Or perhaps I'm missing something blindingly obvious? Probably.

In any case, I absolutely love this app, for its interface is beautiful and intuitive, and the its features endless. In particular, I love the volume step feature that allows more fine volume control! Listening late at night without this was unbearable with the measly 16 default steps, and this beats having to faff around with the preamp.

• Solution

Poweramp is a long-established Android Music Player which has been available for 12+ years and has had constant updates (including v1 => v2 => v3) over the years. One of its popular features was a rather powerful equalizer module, for which there had been multiple requests over the years to be made available as a stand-alone product so it could also be used to balance the sound from other Android audio applications.

That finally happened about 18 months ago, when the Poweramp Equalizer was released as its own separate app. This presumably is the app that you have been using for a while. There was no need to re-download by the way, you could have just paid for the PQ EQ licence within the app.

So that's why there are two separate apps - the main Poweramp Music Player and the separate Poweramp Equalizer. It's not generally a good idea to use the equalization features of both at the same time though, so if you want to use the main player for music AND the stand-alone EQ for other media applications, you should disable Poweramp's internal EQ features - or disable Poweramp from the Known Players list in the EQ app. 

Andre

@andrewilley

Thank you Andre this clears everything up! So the Known Players option isn't availble in the music player app Poweramp as that's a new feature with the new equalizer app. I'm not sure if I could have used the license on the original app as I had to purchase it through the website due to a lack if Google services.

Do you know if I can redeem my single license on both the apps and use them in conjunction with one another? I received this error attached error when I tried. If you don't know don't worry, I'll sent an email.

Screenshot_20220523-233117_Poweramp_Equalizer_1_1.png

The Poweramp Music Player app doesn't need a Known Players list as its EQ features are internal for its own audio processing only, and thus it is the only player they work with.

If you don't want the Music Player app, but just the stand-alone EQ app for use with other audio sources, please contact Support (either in-app or via email to poweramp.maxmpz@gmail.com) and explain the mixup and I'm sure they will be able to help you.

Andre