Disabling USB scan after boot

Jonny G

Hi all. I'm aware this isn't strictly a Poweramp settings question but it is related to how Poweramp uses media stored on a USB drive so hopefully someone with good knowledge of Android might know the answer.

I have a SSD drive connected via a SATA to USB adapter to my car headunit running Android 11.

Because of issues with battery drain I have to have my headunit set to do a clean boot every time I turn on the ignition.

Immediately after boot Android system will scan the drive which is 500GB and quite full so takes a while. During this time Poweramp is unable to access it and any attempts to press play (or if autoplay is enabled) results in a long list of "failed to play..." track names.

Does anyone know if it's possible to disable the Android scanner or possibly do a safe removal so scanning isn't required on next boot?

Many thanks for any help.

Not sure if you can disable the scan completely, but you could put a .nomedia file in the root level of the SSD, which should force the Android scanner to ignore its contents entirely. PA does not use that file (it has its own Music Folders selection system) so should not be affected.

Andre

Finally managed to try this and created a .nomedia file in the root of my SSD using Solid Explorer. However it disappears after a couple of seconds. Enabling view hidden files confirms it has likely been deleted.

I will try connecting the SSD to a PC and create the file from there and set as read only. Unless you have another suggestion?

I know Android does not like .nomedia occurring in specific storage locations with reserved names - Music, DCIM, etc - which would presumably also include the root levels of main device storage and SD Card. I didn't know it would do the same with external storage that it does not own such as USB SSDs though. Just put the .nomedia file inside the main folder on the SSD that contains all of your music instead of trying to apply it to the whole drive.

Andre