"Play Next"

after recently updating my app, i noticed that the "Play Next" feature for the Queue works differently, and in a very frustrating way.

in the past, upon using "play next" the selected tracks would be placed at the start of the queue, before everything else that already appears in it. i really loved that feature cause i'm very indecisive when listening to music. was disappointed to find out it works differently now. let's say i have an album queued up (eg. Space Is The Place) but i decided to listen to a bunch of other tracks before it (eg. the Bob Dylan songs). but instead of placing the dylan tracks before the respective album, they're being shoved in-between, one after each track. same goes when I have only one track, the "play next" button places it after the first track that is already queued up, making the song that "Plays Next" to actually be the second one in the queue. i'd like to either get an explanation as to why this is happening, maybe an indication as to how i'm supposed to set the preferences up for the feature to work differently, either suggest a patch for this.

thanks for taking your time in reading this!

66c96f74-383e-48cd-a35b-c4a82007975c.jpg

95cfd51b-9003-4a43-93f7-d1331a0e133a.jpg

Have you perhaps enabled the Shuffle mode for the 'Play Next' button? You can change the current mode by long-pressing on the Play Next icon and selecting your preferred action. To indicate the operating mode, the icon will then show with a little shuffle symbol next to it.

image.png

Andre

Play Next is meant to insert the selected song(s) into the Queue in such a way as they commence playback immediately after whatever song you are currently listening to. So if you are listening to the Queue already, the new song(s) would be added as the next in the queue. If you are not yet listening to the Queue, the added item(s) should be inserted at the start of the queue to be played next.

Andre

this problem only occurs when i'm out of the queue, listening off an album or playlist.
i do not know what to believe, because it's always placed after the first song upon queuing up a single song. and when i queue up a whole album it's in the right order but it always places the songs AFTER the ones already there. sort of mixes them up, but they're always in the right order. it's just strange. sad, too, cause this was one of my most used features always found it to be very convenient.

I've done some more tests, and can now duplicate the bug you are experiencing.

@maxmp Steps to replicate it:

1. Start with an empty queue, and listening to something in regular category-based playback.
  2. Add multiple tracks to the Queue (e.g. a whole folder or an album) using either '>>Queue' or 'Play Next' - but don't start the Queue playing yet.
  3. Select some more tracks (e.g. another folder or album) and tap on 'Play Next'.

The expected behaviour is that the new songs from the selected album or folder should be added at the start of the (not-yet-playing) Queue, but instead it intersperses them into the Queue, with the songs being placed into every other slot in the Queue.

Andre

@DuckFace524 As I said above, it seems to be a minor bug, expect it to be fixed in a future release.

In the meantime, you could fully uninstall PA and revert to something before build 934 if it's a major issue for you. Remember to backup any settings/playlists/ratings/etc that you want to keep first though as you will get a clean new install.

Andre

• 1 month later...