Why are all my top rated (thumbs up) now disliked (thumbs downed) now?

Ratings are stored in a local database (linked to filenames and their specific paths). They are not saved in music files. Non-rated songs should not show as thumbs up or thumbs down, they would have no rating at all.

Did you make a backup copy of your system (which would include ratings) for moving to your new device? You could use that backup file to restore ratings back to your old phone too.

Andre

@andrewilley I have no idea what happened because I had to return the new phone. I know I removed my SD card and replaced it in my new phone, but i'm not sure why my sd card was reading as i don't have permission for something, but i forgot what it was tbh. (Basically why was it not granting access and saying I cant use this folder) It looked like this. I cant even edit my songs. I have no clue why when i did not too long ago.

Screenshot_20191127-173430.thumb.jpg.74a

Therefore, I conducted a full rescan because my new phone couldn't find any folders and my music playlist and tracks were blank. When I returned the phone, I went back to my previous phone and inserted the same SD card, and all of a sudden, my top-rated song (thumbs up) are now  thumbs down.

How do i make a backup to my system btw? please show me the steps before I get my new phone. I guess i will try to just go through all my thumbs down songs back to top rated (thumbs up). I just wish it was a way I could do this. 

It seems really odd that 'Like'/Thumbs-Up (which equates to 5-stars if displayed as normal 1-5 ratings) should now be showing as 'Dislike'/Thumbs-Down (which is the same as setting a rating of 1 star). If the data had been cleared (for example if Android is treating the re-inserted SD Card as a new storage device and thus forcing a complete rescan) then you should see no thumb indicators at all - i.e. a null rating, or a value of zero.

The problem on your new device sounds like it is related to Android's storage-permission granting code, and sounds very similar to what was reported by a user of an Asus Zenphone 6 phone in this thread:

You could try using File Access Legacy Mode (in PA Settings=>Misc) and also make sure you are trying to select a specific folder, rather than the overall root of your SD Card.

Andre