Option to disable "automatic cover art"

Markka

Hi, I just started the trial version of Poweramp and I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Though, I would like to know if there is a way to disable automatic album art.

What I mean by 'automatic album art' is using random pictures in the folder where the song is located, the ones that are not named 'folder.jpg/cover.jpg, etc.'

The reason why I want to do this is because I use 'Download' folder as a temporary music folder for my projects and I simply hate seeing untagged songs with an album art, I prefer tagging them myself.

You  can use Settings > Album Art > Prefer Downloaded Album Art, but if you haven't set any artwork manually and there is no embedded artwork in the track, then PA will search the current folder for any images it can use (on the assumption that if you told it to look for music in a particular folder, then any artwork you place in the same folder is also your choice).

The best solution though is not to allow Poweramp to scan random mixed-media folders for music. 

Andre

• 2 years later...
On 1/29/2020 at 3:08 PM, andrewilley said:

You  can use Settings > Album Art > Prefer Downloaded Album Art, but if you haven't set any artwork manually and there is no embedded artwork in the track, then PA will search the current folder for any images it can use (on the assumption that if you told it to look for music in a particular folder, then any artwork you place in the same folder is also your choice).

The best solution though is not to allow Poweramp to scan random mixed-media folders for music. 

Andre

Why is there not an option yet to disable this? It's bothering my so much as well

I need an option to disable this, it's really bothering me at this point.

What I mean by "automatic cover art" is that Poweramp sets all my completely untagged music's cover art to some random image in the same folder the music is in, said image isn't even named "cover" or similar.

it's really bothering me because I use the download folder for misc. audio and it just keeps choosing the worst possible image.

I'm using Poweramp v3 build-930-uni and I don't see an option anywhere to disable this behaviour.

As I mentioned previously, if you don't want images to be used when you don't have any embedded artwork in your music files, don't put irrelevant images in the same folders as your music.

In particular, it is also not a good idea to use the system Download folder at all, as Google is working on blocking access to that transient location by general apps in Android 12+ unless there is a specific access requirement (which an audio player is unlikely to be granted).

One way around it for folders would be to place a dummy 'cover.jpg' file into your music location folder, containing some generic image - or even just a solid colour square. That would be picked before falling back to other image files.

Andre

36 minutes ago, Lyssq said:

it's really bothering me because I use the download folder for misc. audio and it just keeps choosing the worst possible image.

This is not ideal for any player, as this will cause library updates to trigger every time you add anything new to the Downloads folder. I would suggest that even a generic Mixed or Various folder under your Music folder would be a better solution.

Plus as @andrewilley mentioned, from Android 12+ Most apps will not be able to access this system folder directly anyhow. So this is a good time to consider a new habit for your temporary music storage location choice.

7 hours ago, andrewilley said:

As I mentioned previously, if you don't want images to be used when you don't have any embedded artwork in your music files, don't put irrelevant images in the same folders as your music.

In particular, it is also not a good idea to use the system Download folder at all, as Google is working on blocking access to that transient location by general apps in Android 12+ unless there is a specific access requirement (which an audio player is unlikely to be granted).

One way around it for folders would be to place a dummy 'cover.jpg' file into your music location folder, containing some generic image - or even just a solid colour square. That would be picked before falling back to other image files.

Andre

I'll just go through the dummy cover.png route, thanks! if there's any option to download other media and audio in separate folders in google chrome then I'm just stupid 

3 hours ago, Lyssq said:

I'll just go through the dummy cover.png route, thanks! if there's any option to download other media and audio in separate folders in google chrome then I'm just stupid 

You can move these files after the download is complete. The Download folder is just that - a temporary location to be used until the download is complete. Use any file browser to move the files you plan to keep.

5 hours ago, Lyssq said:

if there's any option to download other media and audio in separate folders in google chrome then I'm just stupid 

Chrome on mobile is dumb, as with many other mobile browser apps it doesn't present you with a proper file selector to choose your desired destination folder like you can on the PC version.

I have the same issue with podcast downloading apps, none of them allow me to define specific named subfolder locations on my SD Card for each RSS feed to be downloaded to. Instead they generally create their own subfolders inside one download location, which is rather like the problem you are facing. So I use an app called FolderSync to monitor the various automatic download subfolders, and move any found contents into my own subfolder structure on my SD Card. Even on the free version you can set up multiple 'folder pairs' for copying, with filename filters, and run the sync check as often as you like during the day.

Andre

I have a folder specifically just for music on my Samsung. Even though I turned off all the options under the album Art section, it still appears when playing music. This is really annoying. They should just have one option to turn this off. I can't believe this.

4 hours ago, Tmk100 said:

I have a folder specifically just for music on my Samsung. Even though I turned off all the options under the album Art section, it still appears when playing music. This is really annoying. They should just have one option to turn this off. I can't believe this.

Can't believe that a music player by default shows album art? Or that PA tries to download an image for a file missing artwork? I think that for the most part from this forum most users complain when artwork doesn't show up. With the amount of space on device displays these days, why wouldn't you want a visual reference to what is playing - the artists often go to great lengths to have artwork that fits their music.

One man's food another man's poison, In Nigeria, this is the part we say (Dis One shock me) sometimes I feel some request are not sincere, unless you don't have the correct album, it makes the music player beautiful, songs are easily identified when scrolling through the list. 

Some request I see makes me feel they are just out to create fault, because even when they are given a solution to the (not a problem to me) they ignore and insist that they don't want to solve the problem with the given solution. 

We all want different things, but sometimes consider what is happening around (trend) YouTube, Spotify, Apple Music, even Movies (Amazon) uses Artwork. 

Download AutoTagger (an android app) an it will delete all embedded images from your music file(s). 

Bencherished 

Edited by Bencherished

• 1 year later...
54 minutes ago, sienat h.m.mutoajjihan said:

One of the best music app I've ever used. But the album art option is totally disgusting. Unfortunately the developers didn't add any disabled option at all. Just request please please please add a disabled option on next version 

Not sure why the album covers of your chosen music collection are "totally disgusting", but if you don't want to see them any more just enable Settings=>Album Art=>Force Default Image. That will show the Poweramp app logo instead. Or if you don't like that either, use a skin that allows elements of the interface (including the cover artwork) to be hidden completely - e.g. YAPS mentioned earlier in this thread.

Andre

1 hour ago, sienat h.m.mutoajjihan said:

But the album art option is totally disgusting.

Not sure if you mean the search option to find album art for your songs that are missing embedded album art, or how art is displayed when playing. But both are in your control of how to find the best art for your preference.

If you don’t want any art at all, use a skin the has an option to disable the art completely. But you would be in a very small Group that would want this, so I wouldn’t expect the app to change. 

• 4 weeks later...

Skins can apply their own image if they want to, but I don't think any of them currently offer the option of a user-defined image. Sounds like it could be a nice idea though.

You can assign a default cover image for a specific folder though, by placing a folder.jpg file in that folder. That image will be used if there is no other over art available.

Andre