Album art is not displayed when connecting to the car via Bluetooth

김상훈

Does your head-unit support Android Auto connections? If so, that's a much better way to play audio from your phone and may well work better with album art too. For plain Bluetooth might be worth trying different AVRCP versions in Android Settings => Developer Options (mine is set to 1.4, but you could try higher or lower).

Andre

• 4 months later...

Ive had Poweramp since Icecream Sandwich.  Ive recently gotten a note 20 and a recent build of Poweramp, and no more album art displayed on the headunit. Older versions of android with older versions of PA did.  Other versions also attatched the art in the mp3, ID3 tag I believe.  I have songs in the library that were tagged by an older PA version, saved them to an sd card and the head unit shows the album art,  BUT the same song played through the phone does NOT show artwork.  So it is a problem in PA that I cant seem to chase down. Ive tried most of the recommended tricks and no luck.  ALSO some folks have said its Samsung, I have used a S2, Note3, Tab 10.1, all with different versions of android AND PA.  They work with the exact same library.  It also works off of an sd card (same library coppied over).   It seems the newer version of PA does NOT put the art into the mp3 file. It makes a seperate album art folder. I have used seperate tagging software and embedded the art to the tag.... still wont show it on head unit.  What is going on?

Poweramp has never inserted cover images into audio files, you need to use an external batch tag editor for that job.

Sending cover Images via Bluetooth never seems to be an exact science, it's never worked for me for example. It seems very much a lucky match of phone, Android version, Bluetooth version and output device. You can try changing the AVRCP version or activate the Gabeldorsche stack method or other options in your phone's Developer Options setting screen. There are also some extra options to try to force it in PA's Settings=>Album Art menu.

I switched to connecting via Android Auto and have never looked back, is your head-unit modern enough to support that?

Andre

I have never been able to make album art send over Bluetooth with Poweramp either. It doesn't matter the phone or the Android version or the AVRCP version set in Developer Settings. I have tested with multiple Android devices on my car over the past 4 years. Poweramp also only can send track progress and time remaining for the first song played, any songs after the first one does not have track progress bar or time remaining.

I know it is a Poweramp problem because I have tested with Google Play Music/Youtube Music and that always successfully sends album art on multiple Android devices. I have also tested with iPhone and Apple Music always sends album art and track progress always works too.

My car is a Tesla Model 3, it does not support Android Auto.

• 3 weeks later...

You said PA never has imbedded art to the tag?   I typed that whole paragraph explaining that it did infact do just that.  Point being that it DID.  However it no longer does, hence why I am here posting this.

I have tried every suggestion so far with no luck. What have I missed?    I have a 2015 model GMC that will not get the auto apps update.   That being said, the head unit will display the embedded art from an sd card, the songs on said card were saved to it from an android phone (note 3) in mp3 format.           Here is the important part.       Power Amp is the only music player ever used to play those mp3 files.   Power Amp version 2.0.1.0 build 588 and some older versions (I used the note 3 for 7 years with that very version of PA for most of that time, it is still on that phone.... it still works) downloaded the album art to that library.    The art IS embedded to the tag, but you say it didnt ever do that....  It Did.      Power Amp also pushed the album art to the head unit,  to the gear watch,  and to the view window in the flip cover of the phone.       

So what setting should I tickle to get this working like it used too.       Saying "get android auto"  is a cop out, which dosent offer a proper solution. Or answer the questions of how this problem occured, thus leading to the answer.

13 hours ago, alientatts said:

So what setting should I tickle to get this working like it used too.       Saying "get android auto"  is a cop out, which dosent offer a proper solution. Or answer the questions of how this problem occured, thus leading to the answer.

Answer is embed your covers with a metadata manager designed to do this.  It has been documented many times here that Poweramp will not do this for the reasons already explained. 

On 9/2/2022 at 11:21 PM, alientatts said:

You said PA never has imbedded art to the tag?   I typed that whole paragraph explaining that it did infact do just that.  Point being that it DID. 

That's what I sad, and that's what I meant. Poweramp has never had the ability to take an image (such as an online download or a gallery file) and insert it into the embedded tags of an audio file. Sorry if you are confusing Poweramp with some other app, but you have always needed to use an external tag editor to do that.

Andre

• 7 months later...
On 8/14/2022 at 12:28 AM, FMXP said:

Poweramp also only can send track progress and time remaining for the first song played, any songs after the first one does not have track progress bar or time remaining.

I know it is a Poweramp problem because I have tested with Google Play Music/Youtube Music and that always successfully sends album art on multiple Android devices.

After about a year of it working flawlessly, I started having this exact problem a month ago. No firmware updates to vehicle headunit, no major Android upgrades in that time.. and works fine with other music apps. 

Seems like something definitely changed with how Poweramp sends the metadata to bluetooth.

Did you ever find a solution?   Or can anyone help?

• 2 months later...

Having just posted in the main build thread, I've now found this one so tagging along.  Car is a 2022 Seat Ateca.  It does have Android Auto capability but I don't use it because I prefer the default maps and don't want it constantly using my phone data.

Anyway, I've just discovered that my album art isn't displaying over Bluetooth either.  I've tried all the settings on the PA Settings > Album Art page and nothing seem to make it work.

I have several other music apps and all display the album art over Bluetooth so this definitely seems to be an anomaly with PA.

It's a shame because I've just come back to using it, as it's the best sounding app out there, but it does have a number of niggles which are hard to live with.  

Edited by Si64