Playback stops too early if streaming via chromecast and using repeat mode single song

GeilerHeinz

I'm experiencing cropping of playback close to the end of a song if streaming via chromecast and using the repeat mode single song.

This especially is noticeable if casting a song with a abrupt ending (e.g. The Foo Fighters - Alone + Easy target).

I tried to get it fixed in adjusting the buffer size, but there's no difference whether I use 1000ms or 4000ms.

Did anybody facing the same problem?

Regards

I have to correct myself. There is a difference regarding the buffer size in the chromecast output settings.

With buffer size set to 4000ms songs are getting cropped a lot more. But even with a buffer size of 1000ms playback stops too early and songs are getting cropped.

Regards

I'm guessing that something is happening to cause the connection to be severed when PA finishes with the audio data, but before everything has spooled out to the BT device. You say this only happens when PA fully stops at the end of a track, with nothing else left to follow on afterwards? What does the latency line show in Audio Info?

Andre

On 3/27/2022 at 7:53 PM, andrewilley said:

You say this only happens when PA fully stops at the end of a track, with nothing else left to follow on afterwards?

Yes, exactly. The track isn't cropped if playback automatically goes on with a following track.

On 3/27/2022 at 7:53 PM, andrewilley said:

What does the latency line show in Audio Info?

The latency is 1200ms.

Regards

Aside from the original reported behaviour in combination with repeat mode single song there's always a delay between track progress (position in seekbar) and progress of actual audio playback if streaming via chromecast.

The bigger the output buffer is set the longer the delay is.

Regards

Okay. Thanks @andrewilley for enlighten me.

How big is the influence of my network connection or the output device on the latency?

Can I affect the latency anyhow besides the setting of buffer size?

Is a latency of 1200ms at a buffer size of 1000ms or a latency of 4200ms at a buffer size of 4000ms a normal value?

Regards

1 hour ago, GeilerHeinz said:

Okay. Thanks @andrewilley for enlighten me.

How big is the influence of my network connection or the output device on the latency?

Can I affect the latency anyhow besides the setting of buffer size?

Is a latency of 1200ms at a buffer size of 1000ms or a latency of 4200ms at a buffer size of 4000ms a normal value?

Regards

Every link in the chain affects latency. Especially anything where DSP is added, conversion or on-the-fly transcoding, etc. This could be on your device, the And yes network speed too.

Thanks @MotleyG.

I don't know how much DSP is taking place in my device/output device and if I would be able to change any setting.

Anyway it would be nice if PA could leave the connection to the chromecast device open until the output buffer is completed to avoid cropping of audio playback.

Regards

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I will definitely look into this issue for the next Poweramp builds. The last seconds are lost probably due to the very large latency Chromecast has (seconds) and related buffering. But I guess single repeat/single song modes could be polished further. Thanks for the request!

• 1 year later...
On 5/26/2022 at 2:08 PM, maxmp said:

I will definitely look into this issue for the next Poweramp builds. The last seconds are lost probably due to the very large latency Chromecast has (seconds) and related buffering. But I guess single repeat/single song modes could be polished further. Thanks for the request!

I can't see any improvement since the last builds. The described behaviour still exists.

Regards