How to prevent resampling to 48kHz by Android system?

wressa

Some devices are set by the manufacturers to force 48kHz output for their normal output, even for CD-quality audio (which is recorded at 44.1 kHz) . If so, you might like to try hi-res and change the output to 44.1, that might get around the issue for you.

Andre

16 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Some devices are set by the manufacturers to force 48kHz output for their normal output, even for CD-quality audio (which is recorded at 44.1 kHz) .

Is that happening here?

Screenshot_20220314-194656_Poweramp.jpg

@andrewilley Someone I know told me all androids resample to 48kHz for processing and I read about that before online. Didn't see it in the Poweramp audio info though so I wanted to know if it was happening or not. Not that I could hear a difference or anything, just looking to prevent unnecessary battery consumption.

As I said above, some Android devices do default to 48kHz output in their firmware, but by no means all. And activating hi-res (but at 44.1 output) can usually overcome that anyway.

You'd see it in the audio path display if yours was doing that - but there would be next to no extra battery consumption even if it was happening though.

Andre

On 3/14/2022 at 11:32 AM, andrewilley said:

Some devices are set by the manufacturers to force 48kHz output for their normal output, even for CD-quality audio (which is recorded at 44.1 kHz) . If so, you might like to try hi-res and change the output to 44.1, that might get around the issue for you.

Andre

Timely topic for me.  I just got a Shanling M3X DAP and like you noted, the only way I can force Poweramp to output at 44.1kHz is to force it through Hi-Res.  Otherwise, if I select "OpenSL ES" as my output, it defaults to 48kHz, and is not allowing me to change it to any other frequency.  And if I enable DVC, it changes to 384kHz.

Poweramp_audio_info.png

• 6 months later...
On 3/15/2022 at 2:14 PM, wressa said:

@andrewilley Someone I know told me all androids resample to 48kHz for processing and I read about that before online. Didn't see it in the Poweramp audio info though so I wanted to know if it was happening or not. Not that I could hear a difference or anything, just looking to prevent unnecessary battery consumption.

The resampling occurs on certain Android devices especially LG wherein, when connected via a DAC and a Wired earphone, would down-sample it to 48KHZ. You seem to be using Wireless for which this whole issue doesn't apply. Plus Android phones have come a long way and a lot of manufactures have changed the UI and the Software over the course of years. All these issues shouldn't be there at all and there is no concrete proof for this as people who claim this issue have to test it in 100s of Android devices from different makers to validate this claim

• 10 months later...
56 minutes ago, Sandeep Shenoy said:

My phone (OnePlus 7T) keep resampling to 48khz how to revert this 

What Output mode and Settings are you using? Most Android devices default to 48kHz, it's rare for them to offer 44.1 other than as a setting in a specificly adjustable mode such as High-Res.

Andre

In this case (as we don't see the Output section on the screenshot), it's Poweramp who resamples to 48khz as output works or configured on 48khz. If we won't resample, Android will.

48khz is often used for Speaker, Wired headset, and for some BT codecs (LDAC), but 44.1khz is also used for BT SBC, AptX codecs.

On 8/16/2023 at 7:40 PM, maxmp said:

In this case (as we don't see the Output section on the screenshot), it's Poweramp who resamples to 48khz as output works or configured on 48khz. If we won't resample, Android will.

48khz is often used for Speaker, Wired headset, and for some BT codecs (LDAC), but 44.1khz is also used for BT SBC, AptX codecs.

OK