Direct Driver for Huawei P30

Hi

Would it be possible to implement a Custom Audio driver to change Audio Quality System wide?

I have a Huawei P30 which should provide, on paper, 32bit/384khz

In Poweramp audio output informations is only 192khz written

Device: HUAWEI HUAWEI ELE-L29 ELE-L29EEA ELE "kirin980" HWELE ELE-L29 10.1.0.150(C431E22R2P5) [arm64-v8a, armeabi-v7a, armeabi]

FAILED to read=/vendor/etc/audio_output_policy.conf
FAILED to read=/vendor/etc/audio_io_policy.conf
FAILED to read=/system/etc/audio_policy.conf
reading=/vendor/etc/audio_policy.conf
has outputs_primary, sampling_rates=48000
has usb
has usb outputs
has usb_device, sampling_rates=dynamic
has usb formats=dynamic
USB can handle Hi-Res - sdk=29
OK flags=0x804040400000000
FLAG_VARIANT_DIRECT_HD
FLAG_NEEDS_DIRECT_PCM
FLAG_SUPPORTS_USB
FLAG_SUPPORTS_LDAC
INTERNAL_OUTPUT_FLAG_SR_192K
INTERNAL_OUTPUT_FLAG_SR_176K
INTERNAL_OUTPUT_FLAG_SR_96K
INTERNAL_OUTPUT_FLAG_SR_48K
INTERNAL_OUTPUT_FLAG_SR_44K

and i can only set Poweramp to OpenSL ES Hi-Res 24/96-192khz native but not to AAAAudio.

It would be so great to set up Poweramp Equalizer to direct communicate with the inbuild DAC to use other Playerapps like Amazon Music in Hi res (right now only 48khz)

Best Regards

BJey

@BJey high end huaweis are able to produce hi-res (via Hi-Rea output or even via AudioTrack for BT/USB) just fine. Unfortunately, some huawei low to mid end devices have this functionality disabled in OS via software flag - I guess - for the marketing reasons.

hi maxmp

thx for your answer

its funny cuz Huawei presented this phone with 32bit/384khz support and in 2019, when it was released, it was somehow a flagship phone.

What do you think if i buy a external DAC/AMP, would the player (Tidal or Amazon Music) send their sound direct to the external DAC or will i have the same that HUawei driver will send the downsampled data to the DAC?

PA has no device-specific audio driver code, everything is processed via official Android hooks. It has to be really, because the Android ecosystem is so incredibly fragmented (and then add on goodness-knows how many obscure third-party DACs) one person simply could write custom code for every option (nor presumably own a sample of every existing phone/tablet/car-headunit/USB-DAC combination).

There are documented ways to determine what audio options are available, but not all manufacturers' firmware provides everything that is needed (in some cases for pure marketing reasons, when the hardware would be quite capable of handing it).

Andre