No Album Art in Playlists

M0TI0N MAN
Go to solution Solved by andrewilley,

So I did a backup since I was getting my new phone today and all went great except that after importing and firing up one of my playlists... no album art at all, though looking at songs outside of the playlists like though All Song, Albums etc they all have their proper album art. This is on the lastest Google Play version.

Does this one playlist show all of the other song details (titles, artists, album name, etc) or just filenames?

If it's just filenames, it doesn't sound like the contents have been resolved against the new Library database correctly. Long-press on one of the song titles in the problem playlist and use Info/Tags to see the full path/filename into at the top. Is that path information identical to the same song as seen in the All Songs list, or is it still trying to refer to the old folder locations on your old device?

Try a 'Full Rescan' in Settings > Library, or use 'Rescan / Resolve Playlists' in the Playlist category menu.  

Andre

19 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Does this one playlist show all of the other song details (titles, artists, album name, etc) or just filenames?

If it's just filenames, it doesn't sound like the contents have been resolved against the new Library database correctly. Long-press on one of the song titles in the problem playlist and use Info/Tags to see the full path/filename into at the top. Is that path information identical to the same song as seen in the All Songs list, or is it still trying to refer to the old folder locations on your old device?

Try a 'Full Rescan' in Settings > Library, or use 'Rescan / Resolve Playlists' in the Playlist category menu.  

Andre

Yup... only showing filename. The song does play though. I tried the Rescan and Full Rescan and doesn't fix the issue. And it wouldn't show anything when I tried to long-press a song in the list and hitting Info/Tag.... only works when I click on a song to play it and then use the 3-dots menu to do the Info/Tag but seems to show the same info as the original. I tried clicking on Album Art and it pops up "Data not available". I'm stumped.

• Solution

Is the playlist file-based (i.e. showing .M3U(8) at the end of the name in the list of playlists) or an internally created one within PA? And this was restored via the Export Settings/Data and then Import Settings/Data feature. 

When a song is playing, obviously it must then be using the real (new) path/filename. Do you get any options at all when you long-press on the song title (which shows as a filename) inside the playlist?

See also the below thread. Have you tried re-importing the Playlists (only) from the exported backup file, which seemed to work for this user?

Andre

13 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Is the playlist file-based (i.e. showing .M3U(8) at the end of the name in the list of playlists) or an internally created one within PA? And this was restored via the Export Settings/Data and then Import Settings/Data feature. 

When a song is playing, obviously it must then be using the real (new) path/filename. Do you get any options at all when you long-press on the song title (which shows as a filename) inside the playlist?

See also the below thread. Have you tried re-importing the Playlists (only) from the exported backup file, which seemed to work for this user?

Andre

Imported just the playlists again and it's back to normal. Thanks so much.

@andrewilley while in playlists, there is header menu Rescan/Resolve playlists action. This one specifically tries to resolve playlist items to the actual tracks.

But this is only needed if playlist-to-tracks binding is broken, for example, if those song were previously missing, on the removed storage, not yet scanned, etc.

However the same songs showed their correct album art and tag information in other Category views (e.g. All Songs), it's just in a playlist that the filename-only gets shown, which as you say indicates the playlist is pointing to unscanned path/file entries. But neither Full Rescan nor Rescan/Resolve Playlists appeared to resolve the issue, even though the songs were all present and playable in the main Library views. Just seemed odd that two people had the same issue after importing their backups into a new clean installation.

Andre

• 2 weeks later...