difference between Poweramp file access modes

Utsav
Go to solution Solved by maxmp,

so while in settings, i noticed 2 options.. one was the default mode to access files and the other was access files in legacy mode (written with might be discontinued with further verisons of android)

so i was just wondering about what's the difference between these 2 access modes and how they might affect me being an android 11 user..

please answer if anyone knows

• Solution

@Utsav Legacy mode - direct file access. Poweramp uses this by default for Androids 5-9. This one is fast and allows access to any folder user chooses.

Default mode on Androids 10-12 is Storage Access Framework (SAF) - actively pushed by Google. Much slower (10-100x, though Poweramp optimizes scan so it's comparable vs Legacy mode), doesn't allow access to storage root, /Downloads, /Android. User is forced to add separate folders in Poweramp Music Folders selection dialog.

Google threatens to remove legacy mode almost in each Android version starting from 10, but to the date (Android 12L) it's not removed (for Poweramp) and works almost fine (Samsung ROMs may silently remove file access permission on ROM updates).

Generally all apps must use SAF on Android 10+. Old not updated apps may continue to use direct file access. There is also "dangerous" All Files Access permission Google may grant to selected apps (this is almost the same as Legacy file access).

@maxmp i am using a Samsung device with Android 11 on it...

will it cause any kinds of problems if i was to use legacy mode permanently ?

and i also want to know which search mode does other music players like playerpro uses because i use playerpro in the same device sometimes and while I have to at least wait for a minute for Poweramp to show the newly added song, playerpro does it as soon as the song is added without any delay..playerpro searches instantaneously but Poweramp takes some time to search but Poweramp is a better application than playerpro but this is the only criteria where I think Poweramp is still behind

(i won't receive any further android updates from samsung)

Edited by Utsav

3 hours ago, Utsav said:

@maxmp i am using a Samsung device with Android 11 on it...

will it cause any kinds of problems if i was to use legacy mode permanently ?

If it works now, it will continue to work if you are not going to update Android any further. Make sure you disable the 'feature' of removing permissions from older apps.

PA's scanner has to both find any new files and also scan in the contents of all their tags into its Library, which with a large library can take a while. But a quick rescan usually only takes a few seconds.

Andre

@andrewilley @andrewilley @maxmpso is there any way to make the Poweramp scanner the fastesy like as soon as I put a song in my storage, it shows in PA without any delay like playerpro?

i don't care about battery consumption or any other thing so if you know any way then please tell me..

i turned on the legacy mode and it is indeed faster than the default mode on my device but it's still taking 2 scans,one for actually searching the song and when the song is searched for some reason i can't play it but i can see that the song is scanned and this happens instantly but without a 2nd scan i can't play the song..before the manual 2md scan, if i try to play the newly added song it just says something about an error

Edited by Utsav

As long as the file and the storage system are available when you first start Poweramp, new content should be picked up by an Auto-Scan. You should not need to do it a second time. The process does check all of your music folders for possible new content though, so with large collections it won't be instant and could take a few seconds to complete.

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

I have to use legacy mode with my Android headunit (Joying, Android 10) to access the music folder. 

Now I wanted to import my settings and get an error: 

No activity found to handle intent {act=android.intent.action.OPEN_DOCUMENT cat=[android.intent.category.OPENABLE] typ=application/* (has extras)}

Is this also caused by the file access mode? Or another problem?