Request: "Add Shuffled To Playlist"

Si64

Hello,

I would like an option to add tracks to an existing (now playing) playlist, so that the new tracks shuffle randomly with the existing unplayed tracks.  A feature like this exists on another music player, where tracks can be 'Enqueue Shuffled' to an existing play queue, and then the queue continues with the new tracks shuffled.

Currently, if I am playing a large playlist with Poweramp, and add tracks to it, those tracks don't seem to be played until the end of the playlist, unless I reshuffle, which then resets what has already been played, and results in repeats.  I have a 'Jukebox' playlist of around 3000 tracks, which I like to play randomly from beginning to end without repeats, and would like to be able to add tracks to this list, and for them to join the tracks remaining to be played, in shuffle mode.

Thanks.  🙂

I just tried this, and when a new song is physically added to an existing Playlist, it will be appended at the end of the existing physical list of songs - that is by design, and it is how PA is meant to work.

However if you are already listening to a Playlist in 'Shuffle Songs' mode (i.e. by using the Shuffle icon at the top of the Playlist to commence playback, or by altering the Shuffle mode from the player screen) any new song that gets added in the meantime will be inserted at some random point in the upcoming randomised sequence, not at the end of the random sequence. Which does seem to be what you are asking for. Does that work for you, as you seem to be saying it does not?

As for the original ordered Playlist in the Category view, there is an existing Feature Request to create a long-press mode for the '+Playlist' button to insert a song at the beginning of a Playlist rather than at the end. I would have thought that if/when that mode gets implemented, it ought to be simple enough to have a third option for "Insert Randomly within Playlist". But I don't know how far that might be down the to-do list.

Andre

With regards adding to a shuffled playlist, it kind of does what you said, but not particularly well.  I'll try to explain.

So, as a test run, I selected two albums from the library and created a new playlist from them.  I then launched the newly created playlist in 'shuffle just songs' mode, and off it goes.  

I then go back to the library and add a couple more albums to the new playlist, which is playing in shuffle mode, and the two new albums are added, but when I scroll through the progress of the playlist, the new albums seem to appear somewhere in the middle of the sequence, but are still in order as complete albums, so not shuffled.

So, when I add a new album to an active shuffled playlist, it adds the album in a random position, but as a complete unshuffled album.  When that new album gets to the end, the previously shuffled playlist continues.  

The only way for the new tracks to be shuffled into the existing playlist, is to reshuffle, which then means starting the playlist again and you get repeat plays.

It's kind of hard to explain what I'm getting at, but does that make sense?  Basically, when adding multiple tracks to a shuffled playlist, the newly added tracks aren't shuffled.

Correct, that is how PA works. If you add new several items at once (e.g. an album or two) then they will be inserted into any current shuffled playback sequence as the whole block that you asked to be added (e.g. two albums) not as a sub-collection of individual songs scattered around randomly. I was actually surprised that it did it at all to be honest, I was expecting to see the added songs appear at the end of the sequence because you added them after the original randomised order had been generated.

As you say, the only way to change that would be a Reshuffle.

Andre

As I said earlier, there is already an existing Feature Request for adding songs to different places within a Playlist (and also for the Queue) and I agree adding a 'Random' position, as well as Beginning and End, would be a good idea.

Fully shuffling the individual songs of any added albums into an already playing shuffled list is perhaps a bit esoteric, but I'm sure it would be technically pretty simple if Max sees that it has enough general appeal. I agree that might be preferable rather than the current method of inserting all the added songs into the sequence as one entire block.

Andre