Music Syncing Issues (Media Monkey)

hypomaniac-eric

After syncing Playlists with media monkey now my Christmas Playlist is broke.  Half the music is broke. Album covers don't read and some files don't load.  I tried clearing album cover cache and Full Rescan 3 times plus deleting all the music from the Playlist and resyncing.  Still the same.   Problem for worse and affected more files on the second resync.  The files work fine in the media monkey app.  

Screenshot_20211221-202819_Poweramp.jpg

23 hours ago, hypomaniac-eric said:

After syncing Playlists with media monkey now my Christmas Playlist is broke.  Half the music is broke. Album covers don't read and some files don't load.  I tried clearing album cover cache and Full Rescan 3 times plus deleting all the music from the Playlist and resyncing.  Still the same.   Problem for worse and affected more files on the second resync.  The files work fine in the media monkey app.  

Screenshot_20211221-202819_Poweramp.jpg

I deleted all the files in the playlist and the playlist and resynced and then full rescan on the Poweramp and now the playlist is fine.  I was at the gym and wanted the Christmas Upbeat playlist and now that one is broke.  it wasn't before.  how can i sync with media monkey without my playlists or mp3's getting messed up in Poweramp?  I had to switch to Media Monkey because Musicbee won't sync right with Android 12.  the dev isn't too interested in making an update to the MusicBee Wifi app.  He told twice to try Media Monkey instead.  does anyone else have this problem or know a fix?

On 12/22/2021 at 2:32 AM, hypomaniac-eric said:

After syncing Playlists with media monkey now my Christmas Playlist is broke.  Half the music is broke. Album covers don't read and some files don't load. 

It's not that album covers don't read, it's that Poweramp could not find that exact named folder/file combination in its music library at all - so just shows a filename quoted from the playlist as a placeholder, and it most likely won't play.

A FULL Rescan may be needed after external file syncing to find the music files first, and then to resolve the playlist entries afterwards.

Check the M3U playlist file too (it's plain ASCII, so can be loaded into any text editor) to make sure it is showing the correct filename and containing folder for each song. Any other directory info is ignored, only the first level of folder needs to match.

Andre

6 hours ago, andrewilley said:

It's not that album covers don't read, it's that Poweramp could not find that exact named folder/file combination in its music library at all - so just shows a filename quoted from the playlist as a placeholder, and it most likely won't play.

A FULL Rescan may be needed after external file syncing to find the music files first, and then to resolve the playlist entries afterwards.

Check the M3U playlist file too (it's plain ASCII, so can be loaded into any text editor) to make sure it is showing the correct filename and containing folder for each song. Any other directory info is ignored, only the first level of folder needs to match.

Andre

I did do a full rescan three times before and nada.  I know the Playlist works on the computer and on Media Monkey app.  It's like there's some corruption between media Monkey and Poweramp.   Don't know if Poweramp isn't reading the Playlist right or what.    

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2021 at 7:51 PM, hypomaniac-eric said:

I deleted all the files in the playlist and the playlist and resynced and then full rescan on the Poweramp and now the playlist is fine.  I was at the gym and wanted the Christmas Upbeat playlist and now that one is broke.  it wasn't before.  how can i sync with media monkey without my playlists or mp3's getting messed up in Poweramp?  I had to switch to Media Monkey because Musicbee won't sync right with Android 12.  the dev isn't too interested in making an update to the MusicBee Wifi app.  He told twice to try Media Monkey instead.  does anyone else have this problem or know a fix?

I'm having this problem again.  spent 20 mins trying to fix it and it sucks because it always happens when I'm in a hurry.  I completely redid the album covers on one album and it is saved in tag on Media Monkey awhile back and it was fine till today.  but Poweramp says there's no embedded tag.  i deleted the playlist 4 times and did a full scan each time.  The album covers was working on this playlist for the last week.  i just resynced to update my phone.  now i have several album covers missing from various albums.  for some it's a few songs in the album and for others it's the whole album.  but i checked them all and they have embedded tags according to Media Monkey.  I am tired of this.  is there a fix coming soon?

@hypomaniac-eric Sync apps never seem to work reliably 100% of the time, but I don't know why other than if they haven't finished copying when PA first scans the file. I don't use them at all for that reason. I use TagScanner to add tags and artwork, foobar2000 for ReplayGain, and then manually copy the resulting files from my PC to my phone (mostly with Solid Explorer's wi-fi FTP server) and I never seem to have the problems that people seem to experience with the automated sync software. Actually I tell a lie, I do use one file moving app called FolderSync just for podcasts. I've never managed to find a podcatcher that allows me to define specific named folders for each downloaded podcast, so I instead have a background copying task in FolderSync which checks for new auto-downloads in their default location and moves the files into my MusicFolder/Podcasts/ folder hierarchy.  PA then picks them up on its next scan, and that's never caused me any problems with missing content (although most don't have embedded artwork to be fair). 

If you ignore looking at or rescanning playlists, do the actual songs themselves - in Folder View, or All Songs, Albums, etc - show the correct artwork? Are these completely new audio files, or ones that existed before and have been modified elsewhere and then copied back to your phone?

What happens if you edit one of your songs that PA currently shows with missing artwork using a tag editor such as TagScanner or MP3Tag, and then copy that new file over to your phone, then rescan in PA?

Embedded cover artwork is not cached anywhere between sessions, it is loaded 'on-the-fly' from the files when you open an album, folder, etc view. The most recent few hundred retrieved covers remain in memory during that session, in case you return to that view immediately, but once they have expired if you reopen the same folder again you will notice the images getting reloaded as they populate their way down a long list (using Compact List view makes that most obvious).

Andre

On 1/13/2022 at 5:14 PM, andrewilley said:

@hypomaniac-eric Sync apps never seem to work reliably 100% of the time, but I don't know why other than if they haven't finished copying when PA first scans the file. I don't use them at all for that reason. I use TagScanner to add tags and artwork, foobar2000 for ReplayGain, and then manually copy the resulting files from my PC to my phone (mostly with Solid Explorer's wi-fi FTP server) and I never seem to have the problems that people seem to experience with the automated sync software. Actually I tell a lie, I do use one file moving app called FolderSync just for podcasts. I've never managed to find a podcatcher that allows me to define specific named folders for each downloaded podcast, so I instead have a background copying task in FolderSync which checks for new auto-downloads in their default location and moves the files into my MusicFolder/Podcasts/ folder hierarchy.  PA then picks them up on its next scan, and that's never caused me any problems with missing content (although most don't have embedded artwork to be fair). 

If you ignore looking at or rescanning playlists, do the actual songs themselves - in Folder View, or All Songs, Albums, etc - show the correct artwork? Are these completely new audio files, or ones that existed before and have been modified elsewhere and then copied back to your phone?

What happens if you edit one of your songs that PA currently shows with missing artwork using a tag editor such as TagScanner or MP3Tag, and then copy that new file over to your phone, then rescan in PA?

Embedded cover artwork is not cached anywhere between sessions, it is loaded 'on-the-fly' from the files when you open an album, folder, etc view. The most recent few hundred retrieved covers remain in memory during that session, in case you return to that view immediately, but once they have expired if you reopen the same folder again you will notice the images getting reloaded as they populate their way down a long list (using Compact List view makes that most obvious).

Andre

The songs hadn't been messed with and every so many times i sync with Media Monkey it breaks more album covers.  some of the songs in question had a bunch of covers with different resolutions.  i deleted the extra ones and to fix the problem songs i had to delete and re add the covers in Media Monkey even though they was already embedded or saved to tag,  then sync again.  sometimes Poweramp doesn't want to see the changes.  i had to delete some songs from my phone and then sync to get those songs back with embedded covers in Poweramp.  But I'm playing whack a mole with this problem.  every time i fix a bunch of mp3's and whole albums then i sync and then more songs or albums lose their covers and they was perfectly fine before.  i never had this problem with Musicbee but as many know they hadn't updated the app for Android 12.  I had problems with a wired sync on Musicbee with Android 12.  the dev's solution for me was to switch to Media Monkey.  Unbelievable.  I never heard of a dev referring someone to competitor software.  I haven't used the other software for the tags yet.  I can't understand why Media Monkey is screwing up my songs.  Many of the songs that have embedded tags show as no embedded on Poweramp.  I don't know if there's a bug with Media Monkey that damages or removes the artwork during a sync.  Funny thing is the Media Monkey app shows the album covers on the same songs that Poweramp doesn't.  But when i try to look and see if they're embedded or not i can't find a way to see that on the MM app.   I hope this helps.  

So once any given song has 'lost' its embedded artwork in Poweramp, the artwork is no longer visible via any category view or the player screen - and using the Info/Tags display indicates there is no embedded artwork within the file? Normally with no embedded artwork found, PA would try to auto-download a cover.

When this next happens, could you post a copy of the file using the category songs > Share feature (to ensure it is current version found on your device storage). Save it to a temporarily shareable location such as Dropbox or Google Drive. Also what is the time/date stamp on the relevant file?

Andre

On 1/15/2022 at 3:12 AM, andrewilley said:

So once any given song has 'lost' its embedded artwork in Poweramp, the artwork is no longer visible via any category view or the player screen - and using the Info/Tags display indicates there is no embedded artwork within the file? Normally with no embedded artwork found, PA would try to auto-download a cover.

When this next happens, could you post a copy of the file using the category songs > Share feature (to ensure it is current version found on your device storage). Save it to a temporarily shareable location such as Dropbox or Google Drive. Also what is the time/date stamp on the relevant file?

Andre

"So once any given song has 'lost' its embedded artwork in Poweramp, the artwork is no longer visible via any category view or the player screen - and using the Info/Tags display indicates there is no embedded artwork within the file?" yes that's correct.  I haven't checked the category view i don't think.  

I'll try to share it with you next time.